Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Space Shuttle (NASA) for sale - Huge discount
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukp...8mvqx11MxbmotQ

Nasa has slashed the asking price for its soon-to-be-redundant space shuttles from 42 million dollars (£25.8 million) to 28.8 million dollars (£17.7 million).

The shuttles are for sale once they stop flying, supposedly this autumn.

When Nasa put out the call to museums, schools and others in December 2008, seeking buyers, about 20 expressed interest.

Nasa spokesman Mike Curie expects more interest, especially with the discount. "We're confident that we'll get other takers," Mr Curie said.

Discovery is already promised to the Smithsonian Institution's National Air and Space Museum. Atlantis and Endeavour are up for grabs. It's possible that Enterprise, a shuttle prototype that never made it to space, also will be available. Enterprise currently is at the Smithsonian.

Mr Curie said no decisions will be made before summer.

The new lower price is based on Nasa's estimate of the cost for transporting a shuttle from Kennedy Space Centre to a major US airport, and for displaying it indoors in a climate-controlled building. The travel cost may vary based on location. Nasa moved up the delivery date to the latter half of 2011, instead of 2012.

Potential customers have until February 19 to put in a request.

As for the space shuttle main engines, those are now free. Nasa advertised them for 400,000 to 800,000 US dollars each in December 2008, but no one expressed interest. So now the engines are available, along with other shuttle artefacts, for the cost of transportation and handling.

Assembly will be required, however.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    You know, if I move a couple of things around in the back yard, ........

... there could be room.

The cats out there would like it.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    The cats out there would like it.
    Ha! Ha! "Cats in Space".

Reminds me of that old Muppets' skit "Pigs in Space". Am I showing my age here?

Too bad Cash for Clunkers is over, I'd run down and buy one tomorrow. Without the stipend, don't think it's in the budget. Although the payload capacity would be nice, and I have one neighbor I'd like to offer a one-way ticket for him and all belongings, I think I'd rather have one of these;
    The Russian Sukhoi SU-27 has a top speed of Mach 1.8 (more than 1,300 mph) and a thrust-to-weight ratio greater than 1:1. In other words, it can accelerate while climbing straight up. If you like the idea of a jet but not the thought of doing it yourself, John Morgan has you covered. He’s got a pair of beautifully restored Sukhoi SU-27 Flanker jets. They’re for sale.

If you’ve always dreamed of being a fighter pilot, but missed your chance at the military route, this might be your chance to become a Top Gunski without having to deal with the Iceman trying to steal the limelight.
    Own-the-coolest-jet-on-your-block/

I think they should probably stipulate that the shuttles will not be sold in the condition they are in now and will probably not be airworthy. I'm pretty sure there is a lot of stuff they will remove prior to sale for security reasons.

If I had an extra $30 mil or so just lying around though....
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    and I have one neighbor I'd like to offer a one-way ticket for him and all belongings,
    I've got a neighbor or two like that. With the price of gas, though, unless we can split the cost?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

They shouldn't sell those. What about an emergency situation when we might need those? (Armaghedon movie comes in mind).
    [URL=http://www.pexcornel.com]Pexcornel blog[/URL]

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread