I was reading today a newsletter by roslind gardner who was informing people that cj and google are in talks with norton over their crappy software which has ad blocking feature set on default destroys pretty much every cj link, some banners even whole webpages!, making them unviewable... Jim Edwards gave a demonstration online in flash. showing if you dont protect your links using software and someone views your site and has norton secutrity on with ad blocker on... they wont see any of your links or your banners, Now how GAY is that!....

so there in talks... first talks then lawsuits if things dont change LOL

Uh yeah it goes something like this:

Google lawyers: Stop blocking ours ads or we'll sue!
    Symantec lawyers: We'll get back to you on that.

What next? She reveals that the Pope is Catholic? Bears go to the toilet in the woods?
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

How long has norton been blocking ads and is there anyway to prevent this in the meantime.

The first thing that comes to my mind is the use of url redirects. If someone has a CJ banner on their site, all they needed to do was host the banner on their own server and have the banner link to a page on their own site. This page would be a url redirected page to the CJ advertiser.

Surely this would solve the problem. I hope so anyway.

ABW Ambassador
    I think maybe they might be suing and if not maybe the new shareholders might push them to.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm not so sure... Even with an old version of Norton Internet Security, not only could I not stay logged into forums, but various images on sites would not be displayed including logos!! It didn't matter where they were hosted, or what they were for. As soon as I canned N.I.S. it was fixed. Other people on my sites complained of the same thing, so I suggested they turn it off, and guess what... it was fixed.
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    In case you have not seen my Norton Ab Blcokign Info Page yet - it shows examples, lists some potential fixes and has a list of words and urls that it blocks.

http://www.5staraffiliateprograms.co...s-revenue.html

ABW Ambassador
    Considering the effects of adblocker on the web pages that are viewed, I wonder how many people actually keep this feature enabled.

I've tried using these adblocking programs before (before I started in this business), and you have all sorts of problems. The web pages look awful and you have all sorts of login problems. Doing any sort of online shopping is also a real PITA if you have Internet Security enabled.

Ultimately, while more people may indeed be suring with Internet Security on, I wonder at times how much we lose since most of those people probably would never buy anything online anyways or click on any link.

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    All of this is a non-issue if you use MyAP anyway. Silly blocking tools, not on our software. We're alone in this category.

http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/mo...eferdetect.asp

I wrote this for our last E-news newsletter.

We all love those software programs that protect us from pesky viruses or attacks from hackers. In fact, in today's Internet climate, those kind of tools are invaluable to our ability to do business safely and efficiently.

But, and it's a big but...

When it comes to affiliate marketing, those virus and firewall systems can sometimes get a bit carried away and begin to block links from trusted sources by mistake.

For example, a well-known firewall software (like Norton's Personal Firewall) may begin to block out your affiliate encoded links because they have deemed that the domain it shows is "questionable".

That means that they've decided, accidentally or not, that their software will always block out any links from that domain. These decisions can also be made from referencing certain 'blocked-domain' lists. Note: MyAffiliateProgram.com is NOT on the list just in case you were wondering.

Regardless of why they are blocking, it's still extremely bad news for affiliate marketers who don't have direct linking capabilities. Why? Because all of your links could be hitting a brick wall instantly, without you ever knowing about it.

That's why it's important to use direct linking tools like ReferDetect, only available from KowaBunga!, and available to add on to your MyAP account at anytime.

ReferDetect solves the link blocking problem by serving your links directly from YOUR SITE, not ours.

For example:

Example WITHOUT direct linking:
    http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/
    u/USER/t.asp?id=1001

Example WITH direct linking:
    Point traffic directly to your site, like this:
    http://www.yourdomain.com?kbid=1001
    Jim Kukral
    You will love my book: Attention! This Book Will Make You Money

ABW Ambassador
    Thats pretty neat. Didn't realize MyAP provided for that kind of linking. Wonder if this kind of linking will be more common place over the next few years?

ABW Ambassador
    Other software provides that as well, in fact every other single piece of affiliate software does. The only people who do not are the networks, because they are networks. Myap is not a network, just somewhere in between.

Chet

exactly Chez Noir

I find it difficult to accept that a majority of Norton users have the ad blocker feature enabled. Surfing with that thing on is really awful, you see huge blank spaces on pages and I find it difficult to determine if the page has finished loading or not.

People are curious, and I think they would wonder what they're missing on the sites they visit. I can understand the pop-up blockers completely, but to remove huge portions of a page for the sake of not having to view ads seems a bit overboard.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    Agree with Andy. Most of what i do are sales sites. So people coming to my site know what the site is about and in order to use it have to be able to click links. But the ad blocking default should be off and if the users want it on that's their choice.

Good for them. People with ad blockers on are not buying anything but software online. They still love the experience of retail storelines. Window shoppers and researching for retail buying.

Yeah, I going to get blasted by you all. But I'm right. They're not buying from you or me.

I tell people visiting my site to turn it off to get the full experience of shopping online.

Just turn it off.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

ABW Ambassador
    Luke, not following your post.

"People with ad blockers on are not buying anything but software online. "

What?

Then the rest of it are you saying they're just at our sites to do research and then go buy at brick and mortar stores?

ABW Ambassador
    Google's stance is hypocritical in my opinion. Their toolbar has ad-blocking features.

CJ too, they support others overwriting ads on my site. Heck, they support others oversriting CJ ads with other CJ ads.

By the way, I have no objections to any of this stuff. Just don't give the blockers anything to block.

Oh and by the way, how many months has it been now since CJ promised us a fix? Yet they still give us the same old qksrv links!

Yes Trust,

The people I know who use ad blockers are primarily Programmers. Most of the regular "Joe in the street" guys don't use it because its a headache for them.

And yes there are still people who research an item on the web and then run to the brick and mortar to buy it. That's why all the big national brick and mortars are selling on the web too. Because they know it goes both ways.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Google's stance is hypocritical in my opinion. Their toolbar has ad-blocking features. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really.. it just blocks popups which I hate anyway. It doesn't block other types of ad.

Yes, there is restraint of trade involved here and you can betcha that the impacted networks will have spoken to their lawyers, who will have spoken to Google's lawyers. It's a no brainer. So much for a Rosalind Gardner scoop.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Google's stance is hypocritical in my opinion. Their toolbar has ad-blocking features. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use the toolbar popup-blocker almost all the time. Perfectly happy with it.

http and a telephoto
    Popup blocking and content blocking are 2 separate issues. And I said content blocking, not ad blocking because they don't just block ads.

And I disagree, most people that buy Norton or get it preloaded on their computer are terrified of changing any of the default settings. They just think there are a lot of poorly designed sites out there. It could be months before someone shows them how to change the setting....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Have to agree with loxly. People who are web-friendly (like all of us) usually have no idea just how unskilled the majority of people are with their PCs and surfing.

Nortons Ad Blocking also stuffs around with photos in Gallery type scripts, so it restricts content even when there are no ads on the page..

I am sure glad goggle got involved, because CJ has been giving nothing but lip service where it concerns this issue. Now maybe something will finally happen.

CJ told me they were in talks with Norton over this issue for what must now be close to a year ago or so.....

Bascially you need to use a program to protect your links.. i have it and several others have it.. and its available on line its just a basic

welll if you want to see a video of how this all works and such and how it protect you let me know...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kern:
    How long has norton been blocking ads and is there anyway to prevent this in the meantime.

The first thing that comes to my mind is the use of url redirects. If someone has a CJ banner on their site, all they needed to do was host the banner on their own server and have the banner link to a page on their own site. This page would be a url redirected page to the CJ advertiser.

Surely this would solve the problem. I hope so anyway. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I am sure glad goggle got involved, because CJ has been giving nothing but lip service where it concerns this issue. Now maybe something will finally happen. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed, no prizes to guess who will try and take the credit from Google.

In the meantime, what is the best solution to protect our links and content?

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread