Andyparks' Affiliate Diary
    Hey guys,

I have been working hard over the last 2-3 weeks on one blog site. I have found in the past that keeping an online diary is an excellent way of keeping track of my progress. Therefore I am going to begin one today.
    I am developing a strong mindset that i think will really help me stay dedicated and focussed on the tasks at hand and my overall goal. I am very willing to put in the work and see a lot of self-satisfaction coming out of succeeding in any particular way in this industry.

There is a lot to learn and i feel the best way to educate myself is to focus on one particular topic for one week and then move onto another topic the next week. I have a goal to make $18000 out of this in the next 7 months and will not stop until I achieve it.

Any direction I get from Abestweb members is very much appreciated.

To give you an idea about where I am at at this stage. In the last few weeks I have set up a good domain and found a host and am running a wordpress blog. I feel the niche that the blog is related to is somewhat new and innovative (based on my research) and is consistent with my passions, however I am fearful of a lack of qulity affiliate programs associated with the topic in question.
    I have been busy making posts and making sure I have a consistent writing style throughout. I have also been trialling a few different themes and plugins to get the feel that I want on the site. I have began putting in a few promotional measures to help drive traffic to my site through blog directories.
    I am yet to look in any great detail into affiliate programs consistent with the topic I have chosen.

To vent some of my thoughts so far. It is easy to lose focus on the bigger picture and get side tracked into studying many things at once and it does get a touch overwhelming at times. I keep reinforcing in my mind why success in this is a must for me, which is really helping to drive me. It also feels as though it is will be sometime before I get my first commission...if i keep working smart and hard then hopefully not

Week 1. I will be taking some time off later in the week but up until friday I will be working on one thing - trying to find suitable affiliate programs with quality products and homepages, sign up to them and begin placing their promotional tools on my site. Plus begin promoting them.

I have an idea about a new blog/site that i feel could be really successful and it seems based on my research to be particularly unsaturated.
    I feel that from here I must focus on the following things:

- researching the viability and likely success of this new site
    - educating myself in HTML and XHTML and CSS working through them from right to left.
    - work hard on putting measures in place to drive traffic and have my affiliate links etc already set up
    - researching new and fresh material for my existing blog and making it consistent with the feel that I am going for
    - finetuning the blog and making it aesthetically pleasing
    - preselling
    This list will increase and will be the focus of my future weeks' work.

Any feedback is highly appreciated...

superCool would suggest that you think twice about starting another site before the first one is fully set up. you talk about staying focused and doing one thing a week, but then you are already getting distracted by a new idea. superCool thinks you should fight that urge. been there - done that. finish site 1 and learn during the process. then site 2 will be easier when you get to it. you can use your diary to avoid the mistakes you made on site 1.

good luck

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    One of the things that I want to do this year is to spend more time updating my blog, twitter and bulletin board posts more consistently...

Those are my diaries I guess.

It irritates me that I come into my office and scratch my head, wondering "What Should I Do Next ? " and don't spend the time to be creative and come up with something unique to post to those pages....

Sometimes it's just hard to be creative.....

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

I think there is so much out there that it is easier to be sidetracked. I had a reasonable success with blogger blogs in the past but somehow could never replicate that with affiliate marketing. I have 200+ good domains which I have started developing.

Hopefully, once I have good network of these 200+ domains interlinking, I would get better benefits from affiliate marketing.

Hopefully someday I will be able to share my successful techniques.

finish site 1 and learn during the process. then site 2 will be easier when you get to it. you can use your diary to avoid the mistakes you made on site 1.
    This is good advice thanks man. It makes me feel a little better also

In signing up for affiliate programs i am being careful to choose those that have aesthetically appealing and well organised websites. I have found that very few of the websites I am going to to sign up for an affiliate program are like this.
    It is true that such websites make it a lot more difficult in converting traffic...

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andyparks16
    In signing up for affiliate programs i am being careful to choose those that have aesthetically appealing and well organised websites. I have found that very few of the websites I am going to to sign up for an affiliate program are like this.
    It is true that such websites make it a lot more difficult in converting traffic...
    Merchants with kick butt landing pages are NOT Guaranteed money makers....

But they help ~

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

So over the last few days as I mentioned in the last post I have been focusing on finding good quality merchants and then signing up for their affiliate programs. As I mentioned earlier there are a lot of hideous, unconvincing sites out there using THAT as their way to try and sell their products...i choose to not be associated with what seem to be very low quality attempts at marketing.

I am in the process of signing up with ShareAsale, I am trying to avoid CJ as didnt like them the last time I used them although I do believe that they have some products which would be suitable for my site. I seem to get the vibe on this forum that a lot of other people have had problems with them too.
    I am just waiting for confirmation from godaddy about my email address to finalize my set up with ShareAsale.
    At this stage I have added a few affiliate links to my site in my posts which are promoting certain products. I am confident that the niche I am working in will fascinate people and am happy to see that it is a relatively unsaturated type of site .
    I have posted up a few banners on my site for products but have not made any reference to them in any of my posts - ie the only way I am promoting them is to put the banners up. I am not particularly happy with the quality of the banners. One question I have is that these banners are completely alterable if I know how to code them right? They just dont seem to fit with the look I am going for in the site.

I have also installed a new completely optimizeable theme in Atahualpa on wordpress. I like what it offers in that so many things can be changed but to me as a relative newbie it is a bit overwhelming. I will have to read up on the theme specs a little more. I feel it is the one theme that I can adapt the most to my needs once i fully understand how to use it.

I have found that some of the affiliate programs that I am signing up for a little shoddy in their organization which is making me think that i should stick with the large programs unless i find one that seems well set up and I have faith in how accommodating they are of affiliate needs.

I also registered my site with all the search engines. I want to do something everyday to help drive traffic to my site. One a day and in half a year I will have almost exhausted all the options lol.

The one thing that i feel I am missing at the moment is keyword research. I am quite poor at the moment and cant really afford any subscription to any tools that exist on the internet.

Does anyone know a REALLY GOOD free one that I can use. I feel this is something that i need to get onto straight away.

Until next time

So have been away for the last 5 days and have been unable to access the internet.
    I have been writing about 2500 words a day for my blog and have just added these posts to it.
    After reading extensively through the Magic Bullet section of this very forum i feel that one of the biggest keys to success in this game is WORK. So I have been working hard on my mindset and motivation toward following through and keeping a nice consistent work period each day. Currently I am doing about 5 hours per day and because I am consciously driving myself this is coming pretty easily and I am becoming excited. I am reassuring myself that my first affiliate sale is just around the corner - i think certainty of this in your mind can only be beneficial.

I have been spending a lot of time brainstorming different ideas for new sites and new layouts and looks for the site that i am currently running.
    In every blog post that I am making I am giving the reader something to do instead of just providing them with information - they can actually apply these techniques to their life in the hope that they will get something significant out of it.

As the site is evolving I am shifting its focus and approach, I am trying to make it applicable to a wider audience. At the moment I think it is more directed toward men between 18 and 60.

From here I need to work on the following things:

take the advice of lintlin and begin using her advice to start driving serious traffic to my website.
    Begin educating myself in HTML and XHTML i feel 30 minutes a day is suitable
    Figure out actually how SEO works
    Sort out my issues with ShareAsale and sign up to other affiliate programs.

I am in this for the long haul

http and a telephoto
    One question I have is that these banners are completely alterable if I know how to code them right? They just dont seem to fit with the look I am going for in the site.
    Most merchants won't mind if you make your own banners, but it is always good to check with them first. Some companies are very protective of how their brand is advertised, others, as long as the banner looks good, will be fine with it.

Banners alone don't generally convert well. Text links and product links perform much better. Using text links with banners and with product photos work very well.

Good luck and don't hesitate to reach out to the affiliate managers for the companies you are promoting for ideas and even for special banners. It's their job to help you help them make money
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks for the advice loxley - i wont hesitate to

So this is my first post for the last 4-5 days have been away on holidays down the beach.
    My blogging and education continues. I am keeping up with my half hour sessions daily on w3 schools in an attempt to internalize coding a little. I made one more post on my blog today after doing about an hours worth of research and reading trying to find something interesting.

I have also slowly been working my way through all the different methods of driving traffic to my blog. I just signed up with Google Analytics and have been embedding my code in each post. I was dissapointed when i logged on to find only one person had been traced as going to my site from Google analytics - however i had only embedded the code in a few posts at that stage.

I have been working hard on keywords also. Linking META tag keywords to other relevant posts and information on the site.
    Im not sure what this does to improve traffic???? would anyone like to explain?

I have made some progress with my affiliate programs, I used Loxleys advice to get in contact with a few Affiliate managers - I simply asked them if they had any advice as to the best way to promote their products...I will be interested to see their response.

I have put up a few banners but am not happy with them. I am getting really picky about how everything looks. I want it to be a sleek and smooth as possible aesthetically.

I have been procrastinating a lot about the type of wordpress theme that I am going to stick with. I need to make up my mind soon - i dont feel that doing this is being productive at all.

Now I have about 20 - 25 posts up on my blog I am going to begin introducing products that relate to my content with in text links and pictures. It is time to start thinking about commissions - I have put in a lot of work so far and have nothing to show for in terms of $. I am confident this wont be far away as long as I keep working hard. I need to install a commission based mindset.

It is hard initially not getting any $ return from aff marketing as there is a large opportunity cost to the time that I am spending on it. I realise that this work now is most definately an investment in the future. I am still a uni student and I cant wait till i reach the point where i can earn the same wage off this as my current part time job, then i can quit.

So my work continues. I am feeling a lot better about everything in terms of my learning and perseverance with this affmarketing. I am getting my head around a lot of the terminology and it is all starting to make sense. I have been working on my psychology surrounding my work as I do not want to be another one of those affiliate marketers that fails. I have been working on visulaising where i want to be in 6 months and the end result at that stage. It has really helped me with my motivation and frustration. I recommend this to all newbies as starting completely from scratch in something like this can get really daunting and this overwhelming sensation i understand is too much for some. I am yet to make any $ yet but I feel as though I am not far away. My traffic is slowly increasing as I do more SEO and driving traffic work and now have got to start doing some more promotion of products and preselling to get people buying.

I am really happy with how the site is looking and have 25 posts at this stage about quality unique content that reads well. I have been working hard on getting the content right and making sure i stick with a common style of writing throughout. At the start today I made a big list of everything that I wanted to achieve throughout the day. I have just finished the whole list just then and thoughw it was time to make another diary entry. Worked a solid day and am pretty pleased about what I got done.

The first thing I got done was to make a good quality post on the blog. Did some good research and manipulated to fit into my style of writing.

From here i moved onto w3shcools to do some more reading on code and make any alterations to my blog using their advice. I noticed that all my links were opening in the same page on my site so I went and altered all the HTML for those links so that they now open in a new window. I now feel that i should have set up code to open in a new tab because i feel it is more user friendly. I began reading into the altering the fonts and colors of text. I will look into that in more detail tomorrow.

From there i moved onto some article marketing. I read the great post by lanadili on this very site about the best ways she has gone about her article marketing. She was very generous in the information that she provided considering that she has done very well out of her article marketing. I took down notes on all of her steps. I then chose one topic to cover from my blog and made some alterations that made it consistent with the advice i have read. I then submitted it to Ezine and will wait for confirmation in 7 days. I linked it back to the other information that I had on my blog.

Everyday I am making myself add one thing appearance wise to my blog to improve the aesthetics of it in some way. Today I added the Flickr widget to get some pleasant photos showing.

It was then time for me to do some SEO and driving traffic work. I added an extensive blogroll and submitted my blog to all search engines and directories. I will work through setting up links and submitting my articles to bookmarking sites tomorrow.
    I also spent a bit of time on this forum reading up and helping out where i could.

Until next time
    Last edited by loxly; February 10th, 2010 at 12:41 AM. Reason: fixed something by request

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread