Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Do You Have the "Right" to Link?
    A while back, it was announced that Rupert Murdoch's News Corp was considering banning websites from using content from News Corp. sites, which would include linking to their articles.

It seems now that at least one News Corp. site has begun this ban.

This issue is discussed in this article, which contains much of the response from the founder of the site which was blocked from using News Corp content: Do You Have the "Right" to Link?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I remember hearing about Murdoch's plan to ban the use of his content in search engines and thinking that the guy has completely lost his mind. The entire concept of telling people they can't link to something is, in a way, a form of censorship.

The tragedy is, at some point they are going to want to make an example out of some independent blogger. They'll unleash the full power of their legal team to beat up on them just to let everybody know they mean business.

What a bunch of idiots.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I thought Murdoch banning Google was priceless. G needs several reality checks, and for a big company to basically be able to say "we don't need your stupid engine" is a good step in that direction. That whole bit made my day.

However, him trying to keep just anyone from linking to his stuff at all is stupid! The reason he was able to tell G to go stuff it without undue suffering is most likely because of all the other zillion people linking to his sites. Apparently he doesn't even want links if there's no content snippet included. This seems to cross the line into craziness.

As for the legal aspects, I don't think he's got a leg to stand on.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

That's like a book publishing company telling people they can't recommend their books to people. Linking is the online equivalent of recommending, in many respects.

Seems pretty silly to me. I would think it would fall under freedom of speech in some form.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Well, if they don't want anybody linking to their content, they may as well not put in any content. Further on the analogy, it's rather like airing a tv show and saying don't watch it.
    It's not as though one who links to the content gets a lot of benefit from doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    I thought Murdoch banning Google was priceless. G needs several reality checks, and for a big company to basically be able to say "we don't need your stupid engine" is a good step in that direction. That whole bit made my day.
    Absolutely right! Someday we'll look back and say "remember when our overlord was just a simple search engine? those where the good old days..." If Microsoft had tried to get away with half the stuff that Google has, the government wouldn't have let them live, much less let off with the slap on the wrist they got.

I'd like to think there's a backlash against Google coming, but I fear that they're already too powerful to feel its effects.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread