I'm not sure where this belongs...

I use FrontPage 2000 and what FrontPage doesn't do automatically, I just add the corresponding HTML or whatever coding is needed.

I tried to upload php files. It didn't work. I tried the "hello world", and it didn't work. FrontPage converted the file as hello.php.htm all by itself and I got the page "internal server error".

If I can't use php with FP2000, can I use notepad or wordpad for my php sites? Or is there a newer version of FP that supports php? Maybe I should just finally upgrade and get with the current times?

What would you recommend for php?

Thanks so much!

Catwoman

Catwoman
    I just posted this same question in my frontpage user group they should have an answer shortly. I am curious myself
    Vinny
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Thanks nyfalcon. Glad to see I'm not the only one in this boat.

Now that I'm serious about affiliate marketing, it's time to move on and get with it! I have two websites sitting there waiting to be built because I have all the files in php and I don't know what to do with them just yet.

I'll be looking for your next reply for sure.

Catwoman

You should join yahoo groups for frontpage users they have a few dedicated to 2000. I just upgraded to 2003 and im trying to learn php. my plate is full lol
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Thanks falcon. I will look into that and a few more things.

I learned basic HTML just looking at source codes a few years ago and I taught myself what I know with online tutorials and a book and I'm getting pretty good at it. I'm sure php won't be the end of the world if I can get past or around FP.

What I want to know is if it doesn't work with FP, what else can I use that will work? I don't want to buy DW, but until I upgrade FP to a newer version, I want to be able to do my websites and get going with them.

What do you all use for php?

Catwoman

FP2K just can not handle PHP. If you want to upgrade the newest version it does. Here is an article on it from the MS office site...

http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...2cEP%2cDC%2cXT

Brian

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    I'm not 100% sure about this, I have been doing some reading on php b/c I was thinking of adding some on my site. But I put it on the back burner b/c I really don't need it. But for php to work on your computer (for testing purposes) you have to install php on your computer.

There was also an obscure reference about that frontpage doesn't like <?php. Something about the question mark is not standard for frontpage and that you had to change an option somewhere so it would take the questionmark. I don't remember exactly (and I don't own the book where I read it). I only read it once and I never tried to implement it on my machine.

Mike
    Bovine Bazaar
    Cow gifts and collectibles

ABW Ambassador
    I think you can get a free copy of Frontpage 2003 now if you sign up with 1and1 hosting. I've been using them (I signed up when they gave three years of free hosting) and I like them. You can get plans as low as like $4.99 a month I think and I think those are still eligible for the free software.
    I forgot what I was doing.

Ok let's totally forget about FP for now since it cannot be used in this case.

All I want to know is:

How can I get the php files to my web host? Can I put the files in notepad or wordpad, netscape editor, MSWord, or any other program that would handle php files? I don't really want to try them one by one to see which one works.

How do you publish your php websites to your host? I'm pretty sure not everyone uses DW or FP2003. So what else do you use?

Maybe I'll just go out and buy a book. That way I have it here if I get stuck again somewhere. While I'm at it, maybe get FP2003 and solve the problem.

Catwoman

If Frontpage doesn't recognize the .PHP pages, you'll need to configure it like this:

In Frontpage go to Tools>Options>Configure Editors
    Choose "Add"
    Put PHP for file type
    Put the same information as you have for htm, html etc. - this is usually
    Editor Name: FrontPage
    Command: frontpg.exe
    Save

Mousejockey I think you could be an absolute FP genius! The file "hello world" worked perfectly!

Now I'm gonna try some of the other files I have and see what happens.

A small thank you for now... but I'll be back to report!

Catwoman

Got all files in a folder in my web, did everything I'm supposed to do, BUT... I'm not sure why, the files don't work!

First of all, FP messed up all the coding which had to be manually fixed (it does that with EVERYTHING!), fine, did that. Once the file is closed, it cannot be re-opened in FP because there is "an error running frontpage, (frontpg.exe) failed".

Fine. arghhhh! Opened the files in notepad, fixed something else in one of them in the coding (added closing > that was missed the 1st time), fixed the config file with appropriate stuff, re-saved them to overwrite the first ones in my web folder and web, published the whole thing again, this time I got page cannot be displayed.

*SIGH*

I'm going to keep playing with it until I figure out what the hell is going on here. If I can see "hello world" perfectly, it SHOULD work with the files too!

Thanks again! At least you gave me a good start here. I will report once I have it done and it shows properly and post what needs to be done for others who may have the same problem. If I can save just one person from having to go through all this crap, it's worth it. Unless someone else figures it out first, then by all means, PLEAAAAAAAAAASE let me know!

Catwoman

Sorry to hear your still having problems, try this link, it may help:
    http://www.webworkshop.org/frontpage...g_with_php.htm

Also have you downloaded php rocket?
    You can get it here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread