Filezilla
    I am having trouble with my FTP Filezilla. I can upload files ok but I cannot download files from my provider. The right side doesn't allow me to scroll down and pick a file and then download it. Any ideas?

What version is it?

Perhaps a new version needs to be downloaded.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Be very careful with Filezilla. TONS of people have had their Wordpress blogs hacked right after using Filezilla. I stopped using it for that reason and use a paid FTP client now. Also never store my server password in the FTP client or in Dreamweaver.

Here's a post about it and a Google search for more.

My Sites Are Hacked – Here’s How I Fixed It

Three of my websites are hacked and coincidentally these are the sites I have done some uploading using FTP client Filezilla the night before. I suspect the hackers were using keylogger/spyware to steal my FTP logins. Then by using the info they steal, they login to my sites and appended the above code to my pages. (NOTE: It was later confirmed that FTP communication was the cause as I tried updating a site using Filezilla and sure enough the site was hacked again the next day. The other two sites that were updated with online FTP are intact.)

I search on the Internet and found that many people have experienced the same problem but no solution found.

Thanks everyone for the info. So what is the best FTP to use? Does this also mean that someone could redirect my commissions?

Quote Originally Posted by From the Blog Linda quoted
    I suspect the hackers were using keylogger/spyware to steal my FTP logins.
    I think that if you have a PC infected like that it won't matter which ftp you use. Even if you don't store your login in the utility it will get you when typing it in.

I thinks FileZilla is getting a bad rap here. It's been downloaded a gazillion times by folks of all levels of PC security experience and there are bound to be some horror stories. The question is would they have had the same problem no matter which ftp utility they used.

I would like to find a comparison done by a security expert before I dump it. The posts I read didn't seem to be by people with a lot of real tech savvy. Did they just get caught up in the number of anti FileZilla Google results? The Admin over at the FileZilla forums seemed to defend the product pretty well.

http and a telephoto
    Filezilla is fine if you use a secure ftp connection. As noted, if you have a virus or malware that is recording your keystrokes it doesn't matter what program you are using.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    I thinks FileZilla is getting a bad rap here. It's been downloaded a gazillion times by folks of all levels of PC security experience and there are bound to be some horror stories. The question is would they have had the same problem no matter which ftp utility they used.
    Exactly. The problem in those cases isn't FileZilla... It's the fact that the PC has a virus that can extract password data from a variety of FTP programs.

mailman, did you try maximizing the Filezilla window to see if that helps? Maybe if you posted a screenshot (put it on tinypic.com or something), it would help show the problem.
    --

Hi All,

I'm all for filezilla, too. If your computer or server gets hacked, it isn't because of any particular software. It's rather because of some other security issue with the computer.

I've been using filezilla for a long long time now and I haven't had any problems.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Sorry if I misunderstood the issue. You all made some good points. Thanks for explaining.

e
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms
    Be very careful with Filezilla. TONS of people have had their Wordpress blogs hacked right after using Filezilla. I stopped using it for that reason and use a paid FTP client now. Also never store my server password in the FTP client or in Dreamweaver.

Here's a post about it and a Google search for more.
    Linda, you are right absolutely, same happened with me, my two blogs and website is having trouble including loss of graphics, images and database... now my 3rd party stats monitor is reporting me nightmares

My webmaster says we need to switch to other domain.... just stuck
    [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="4"]Craig Stephen[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [URL="http://Logoinn.com/affiliate-program"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Sienna"][B][SIZE="1"]Logoinn.com[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL] | [SIZE="2"][URL="http://Logodesign247.com"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="SeaGreen"][B][URL="http://www.logodesign247.com/affiliate/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Logodesign247.com[/COLOR][/URL][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL][/SIZE]
    [EMAIL="affiliate@logoinn.com"][SIZE="2"]Contact Us[/SIZE][/EMAIL] | [SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=30741"][COLOR="Black"]Full [B]PPC[/B] Allowed / [B]30%[/B] flat commission / Unlimited Cookies [/COLOR][[B][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Logo Design[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="Red"]24/7[/B][/COLOR]][/URL][/SIZE]

I have used Filezilla for years. Never had any such problems.

I will add that all of my computers are protected by AntiVirus programs and Firewalls.
    :coffeetim

I have used Filezilla for years. Never had any such problems.

I will add that all of my computers are protected by AntiVirus programs and Firewalls
    +1

The problem is due to a Trojan which infects the html files in your PC and then when the files are uploaded via FTP program.

I have searched google and some people have recommended using SecureFTP instead of normal ftp protocol.

Any other suggestions?

Don't make jokes about FileZilla like that That things is pretty much running non-stop on my machine. If I do shut it down it is usually running again with an hour.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by vivekar
    The problem is due to a Trojan which infects the html files in your PC and then when the files are uploaded via FTP program.

I have searched google and some people have recommended using SecureFTP instead of normal ftp protocol.

Any other suggestions?
    FileZilla has an option for using SFTP
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread