Multiple products, multiple merchants
    I have a website which I am selling my own product but I will eventually add products from Sharasale and other programs.

I am adding a shopping cart for my product but I am concerned about how it would work with multiple products. If a customer adds my product to the shopping cart and then returns to a merchant page to buy another they will be redirected off my site before purchasing my product.

Is there a way around this?

Thanks,
    David

http and a telephoto
    If you are a merchant selling your own products you should be careful about selling products through affiliate links as well. I posted an article about this in Feed Front Magazine this month, if you go to the site and download the pdf it is on page 25.

Whether you are going to have your own affiliate program or not you need to decide what you are selling and whether you want to dilute your own brand by selling items for other sites and sending your traffic away. There are people that I personally know that do it really well, but they are very experienced and are moving towards removing the affiliate links over time to focus on selling just their own products.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks, Great information in your article. The product I sell is a personalized candle and tea light holder, but the affiliate links would be for suppliers of tea lights and accessories that compliment. Is this still not advisable in your opinion?
    Would it also be possible to keep the other somewhat related products on the same domain but kept out of view and not linked to from my own products page?

Thanks

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zendango
    Thanks, Great information in your article. The product I sell is a personalized candle and tea light holder, but the affiliate links would be for suppliers of tea lights and accessories that compliment. Is this still not advisable in your opinion?
    Would it also be possible to keep the other somewhat related products on the same domain but kept out of view and not linked to from my own products page?

Thanks
    Deb is right.

I bet that 90% of new sites will fail up front, but persistance can pay off.

Test, Test, Test ........

I do well with both, but tend to blend my affiliates into my sites.

I sell products in my stores, and have affiliates that I have been working with for years that have their own sections.

If you blend your affiliates into quality content, information and solutions to questions that they have, you can do well....

I've gone thru many, many affiliates on my sites that SHOULD do well, but CRASH and BURN.... Never taking off at all.

When promoting your own products, it may also pay to build relationships DIRECTLY with the merchants themselves that will handle fulfillment for you.

You sell their products in your store and forward the order to them.

It's a little trickier, but the commissions are normaly 2 - 3 times higher. ( If you negotiate well. )

If you are building organic traffic and also doing PPC, you should keep the PPC traffic ( landing pages ) completely separate if possible.

I could write a book on this, but off the top of my head, those are the major points that come to mind .....

Good Luck.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Thanks for all the info - very helpful. I'll save the affiliate products & links for the blog, forum and after market information and keep my own products separate.

Regarding your affiliates, can you give a sample URL you have for them. Do you set them up on a subdomain or a directory?

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread