Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    If you email and affiliate manager
    How long should you expect to wait before getting a reply back?
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

ABW Ambassador
    Depends when you e-mail them. Should be no more than a couple of business days, but preferably within 1 business day.
    Any longer, then you have to assume that they are either too busy to answer you (not good for you) too lazy to bother (not good for anyone) or not there to answer (which seems to be bad management)

I may be expecting too much though. Some may never respond. You should be able to tell a lot about an affiliate manager from how long it takes them to respond to you.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    Depends when you e-mail them. Should be no more than a couple of business days, but preferably within 1 business day.
    Any longer, then you have to assume that they are either too busy to answer you (not good for you) too lazy to bother (not good for anyone) or not there to answer (which seems to be bad management)

I may be expecting too much though. Some may never respond. You should be able to tell a lot about an affiliate manager from how long it takes them to respond to you.
    Excellent Answer!

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Manager - Affiliate Marketing Patrick Vesperman's Avatar
    Affiliate Managers should respond within a couple hours. One business day is too long. Even if they just send a note to let you know they received your message and give a better time line for a full response.

I try to respond immediately and usually can.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by pjvesperman
    Affiliate Managers should respond within a couple hours. One business day is too long. Even if they just send a note to let you know they received your message and give a better time line for a full response.

A couple of hours? now that would be nice, but surely not common?

Affiliate Manager mitchmitchell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    A couple of hours? now that would be nice, but surely not common?
    I agree with pjvesperman..Normal response of a good AM is same day/ couple hours. It's a AM job to help their affiliates and if they can't at that moment, at least hit the person up and give them a timeline on when they can take care of them.

I don't have high expectations as so many fail to respond at all. I'm real happy with a day or two lag.

John Powell- Referring to your sig.. Brees is a stud!

Outsourced Program Manager Sarah Bundy's Avatar
    I usually try to answer affiliate emails as soon as I get them, so sometimes it's only a few minutes before you get a reply, however some days are crazy busy and some days you're sick or in meetings. My rule of thumb is - get to them right away. If you can't, then maximum wait time should be 24 business hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah – The AIM Group
    I usually try to answer affiliate emails as soon as I get them, so sometimes it's only a few minutes before you get a reply, however some days are crazy busy and some days you're sick or in meetings. My rule of thumb is - get to them right away. If you can't, then maximum wait time should be 24 business hours.
    Speak on it!

What? At the next summit? want to join me ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah – The AIM Group
    What? At the next summit? want to join me ?

hahah no..."speak on it" is just a slang phrase for like "you said it" or "thats right".. nevermind... my fault

http and a telephoto
    Within one business day unless out at a conference Even though we do check emails and try to get you a "we're out of the office but will get back to you" some managers just won't answer until they have time to fully answer.

If you don't hear back from me within a day, you can assume your email didn't get delivered and it's a good idea to try again, or try yahoo or skype. I even have people that text me to tell me they sent me an email
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

same business day
    [URL]http://Essociate.com[/URL]

When I was an affiliate manager if I couldn't answer somebody's question I would at least get back to them within a couple hours or so and let them know I was working on it. Of course I only had a relatively small number of affiliates because it was an in-house startup program I managed.

Affiliate Manager Veena krishnappa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pjvesperman

+1, i agree with vesperman. I do answer the mails within a couple hours and if I am busy. I make sure that they get a response requesting some time to get back to them.
    Veena
    [COLOR=Blue]Affiliate Manager[/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]Lensplanet.com[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Blue]veena@evalueshops.com[/COLOR]

This is an excellent question and one I would love to know the answer to. I have some affiliate managers that have written me back within minutes of e-mailing them. Many write back the same day or within 24 hours.

Then, there are the others. I wrote "My M&Ms" three time in September of 2009 and still have not received a response of any kind. I wrote "DisneyStore" four times in 2009 (during October and November). I have yet to receive a response of any kind.

Affiliate managers are like "The Good, The Bad And The Ugly". Luckily, many of my affiliate managers fall into "The Good" category.

Keep in mind that some AMs work in a large corporate environment (y'know the suit and tie, office type). If you send them an email on a Friday afternoon they may not even "see" it until Monday. Who knows when they will actually respond???

On the other hand, many AMs seem to be online 24/7. The reality is somewhere in between. We try to respond as quickly as possible - either with the answer or with an acknowledgment.

Oranges has an idea how we work. We don't always have a quick answer, but there is a quick response. Here's an example - that happened just last evening (we are experiencing an incredible amount of feedback from Affiliate Summit). Jill received a request from an Affiliate for a custom banner, which is my bailiwick. She "tracked me down" by phone as we were having dinner near our beach place. I told her I would be able to do that task today and she was able to give a response to the affiliate. Now, that may be a bit unusual and not expected - but we do care about the "service" aspect of this business - and will try to get answers as quickly as possible.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Manager - Affiliate Marketing Patrick Vesperman's Avatar
    When looking at the title Affiliate Manager, the word MANAGER is the most important. Would I give my manager (the marketing manager) a whole day to get back to me? NO! I don't care if you are in a "corporate" environment or just a self-employed OPM, your first responsibility is to make sure your affiliates are taken care of.

Weekend Schmeekend. I had an affiliate call my cell phone at home on Friday night to help her get our links up. While this doesn't happen much, and I like to keep business separate from work, IT DOES HAPPEN. This particular affiliate didn't have time during the normal business hours because she worked and was a mom. It was my personal time or hers and as a manager, I'll sacrifice my time.

Bill said it right here:

On the other hand, many AMs seem to be online 24/7. The reality is somewhere in between. We try to respond as quickly as possible - either with the answer or with an acknowledgment.

I usually reply back to my affiliates within couple hours. However, you can't expect AM to reply back to you at midnight.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Here is my two cents, for what it's worth.

I have had to set my send/receive at every 90 minutes due to my persistent ADD. So sometimes it takes me about 2 hours to get back to affiliates.

My personal opinion is that same business day is good, within 24 business hours is acceptable, and anything longer than 24 business hours better have a good excuse (like getting my face bitten by a dog LOL)

Affiliates, as a rule, don't send emails unless they actually NEED something, so try to keep that in mind.

I agree with what others have said in that I often will do an email kick last thing before I leave each night and sometimes the best response I can give is "I am going to have to think over this tonight, but I did want you to know that I got your email and I am looking into it."

At the very least, acknowledge that you got the email and that you are indeed working on it.

I don't know that I have added anything new to the conversation, but those are my thoughts
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

I agree with most of the AMs on this post... it's best to get back to your affiliates right away, if not by EOD, definitely within 24 hours of the inquiry. Even if the AM's are not online 24/7, most have access to their email 24/7 via their phones.

I sometimes wonder, if sending the email thru the network interface, if they do not get them. I wonder because I have sent emails to one particular manager who is very active here and has never responded to me. I was very surprised there was no response.

But then again, he could just not care about little ole me.
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

Have you tried talking to the AM via AIM as well? I know most of us have conversations with our affiliates through AIM as well as Email and are on AIM all day long as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast