Creating Video Content
    Hi,

I'd like to create video content related to my target product. I don't want to show up in these videos, though; I just want to shoot them.

How can I go about recruiting/hiring people for this task? I'm concerned about:
    - people consenting to being exposed online in places like Youtube and my site
    - people potentially claiming ownership of these videos

I also would like to do all this with a very limited budget as I'm just starting out with this idea. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Outsourced Program Manager Sarah Bundy's Avatar
    Hi ssoul,

I actually just had a video done this week (and am working on another one for a client on Monday). I found that there are some really good freelance videographers that would be willing to do a high quality, low cost video to help build their profiles. Also, there are some actors / speakers who are looking to do the same. I actually just posted on Facebook that I was looking for someone to volunteer for the job and had two replies within the hour. As for finding a good videographer, I posted on Craigslists and LinkedIn, and a company approached me to do it for free.

Hope this helps.

Hi Sarah, these are great tips, thanks a lot.
    Did you have them sign any waivers?

ssoul, perhaps you need to be clearer about exactly what type of video work you want.

I do simple videos every week which mostly consist of some stills photos and a voiceover track. They're not exactly Avatar but for some reason they very popular. You can make something simple like that with Windows Move Maker (which is free) and any application that allows you to record from a microphone (I use the suite from AVS Software).

One word of warning - if you end up rendering videos yourself then you might need a faster PC!
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Or you could spend a hundred bucks on a Flip camera and shoot the whole thing yourself. If any other people appear in it, have them sign a very simple waiver that says that the video they're appearing in will be posted at various online locations, and that you are the copyright holder of the final video. A simple one-page thing is all you need (if that).
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Avoid videoing children in public on your video.
    Even if you get parents permission you can run into problems.
    At least that is how it is in Australia.
    Cheers,
    Kitty.

There is a site called "Xtranormal" where you can make free videos with animated characters. You can use the animated characters and avoid all liability associated with filming real people.

Go search on YouTube for "Xtranormal" and you can find a bunch of videos that people have uploaded there from the site - you will see that the videos can be serious or funny, whatever you need.
    :coffeetim

Ooh, nice, I hadn't heard of that one yet. Thanks for the tip.

To answer your question, yes, they did have to sign some docs about the right to use the location, their images, that we were not liable for anything etc etc.

The videographers provided the documentation. We just have to sign.

Quote Originally Posted by gamweb61
    There is a site called "Xtranormal" where you can make free videos with animated characters. You can use the animated characters and avoid all liability associated with filming real people.

Go search on YouTube for "Xtranormal" and you can find a bunch of videos that people have uploaded there from the site - you will see that the videos can be serious or funny, whatever you need.
    Thanks for the resource.

Cheers,

Kitty.

Here's another great resource for you if you want to create videos very fast. Go to: http://www.jivox.com After I signed up tyo this site it literally took me only 15 minutes from start to finish to create a professional looking online video.

God Bless!
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; January 28th, 2010 at 08:06 PM.

Actually, this is a great link. Thanks for posting it.

Well, I don't think you need to be too elaborate!

Most of my videos are a slideshow stills photos with a voiceover track, perhaps with some text and other elements if necessary. I use an animated "bumper" at either end to give the video an ident and link it back to the website. That's basically just AVS Video Recorder and Windows Movie Maker - simple and quick!

For more detailed videos I use an HD camera with a removable SD card and Sony Vegas plus AVS to tie it all together. My "studio" for product demonstrations is just my dining room table with either a flat white cotton covering (i.e. a sheet!) or some large sheets of plain white card for close-up filming. One thing you DO need is good lighting, and I have a couple of very bright foldable fluorescent lights bought from a craft shop, these are ideal for illuminating close-up objects.

Something like Sony Vegas does require a very powerful PC if you want to render things quickly, but assuming that you have that then you can put together everything you need for a studio for well under $1000.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread