URGENT: Call to all Colorado Affiliates...
    It's official. A bill was introduced Friday afternoon to collect taxes from merchants with affiliates in the state of Colorado.

Attached is the bill.

My congressman said:

"The bill will be heard in committee this week (not a committee I am on), and
    could be on the floor also this week (where I will get to debate and vote on

it). Public testimony is taken during committee if you want to testify.

Let me know and I'll let you know when it is scheduled to be heard."

Unfortunatly I just had a baby boy and I afraid I do not have enough time to lead the efforts to defeat this bill. I'm definitly looking to participate and maybe even testify next week but we probably need a few dedicated champions to coordinate these efforts.

Please feel free to PM me to get organized quickly. They are looking to enact this March 1 2010!

PS: I'm also preparing to look for a place and incorporate in Florida (and second choice Oregon). Like Cramer would say "they know nothing!".... ;-)
    Attached Files Attached Files

First idea: Try to unite, show force.

Their was a very successful affiliate convention in Denver last year. If we had access to the list of participants we could get together the day of the hearing (next week!)....

Does anyone know someone with Affialite Convention?

Second idea: Contact the 2 sponsor of the bill and explain to them how this business works. 2 key points:

1) They will not collection much, if anything since merchant will drop affiliates (tons of affiliates in other states to pick up the sells efforts).

2) They will put out of business 1000s of affiliates in Colorado.

Note:
    This has been tried in California and Hawaii and both time the governor vetoed similar laws. This probably has to be done like some in Florida are recommending (a global internet sales taxes).
    Addtionally it is very difficult technically for small internet businesses to collect those different state/local tax rates and submit payments quarterly? (monthly?).

Sen. Rollie Heath, D-Boulder
    http://www.senrollieheath.com/

Rep. Jack Pommer (D-Boulder County)
    http://pommer.us

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by delsol
    PS: I'm also preparing to look for a place and incorporate in Florida (and second choice Oregon). Like Cramer would say "they know nothing!".... ;-)
    As it had been discussed many times before, incorporate elsewhere won't give you the exemption from "NY nexus". Even though you can physically move to some states which are currently NY tax safe. Who knows when those sataes will start to introduce the tax bill. Where are you going to move to then?

Good point, incorporating in a different state is not enough. That is why I said "look for a place and incorporate". Oregon does not have a sales tax so it is one of the safest places.
    Florida seems to be part of the states that will wait and see (they actually seem to favor a national sales tax for the web. Probably the best way to implement t his...). I also have family in FL and OR so it helps.

This situation will evolve and I suspect that at a given point the same rules will apply to all states. However I would even consider moving abroad if I had to. Belize seems like a friendly place ;-)

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Nevada also has no sales tax.

I hope CO defeats this bill. Good luck! I stand behind your efforts 100% - most of us know how it feels to see this breathing down our necks by now.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Nevada also has no sales tax.

I hope CO defeats this bill. Good luck! I stand behind your efforts 100% - most of us know how it feels to see this breathing down our necks by now.
    Thanks Rexanne. You guys did a terrific job in CA. However they are talking about maybe voting next week. Which gives us very little time to organize (ie get together a few 100 affiliates + contact the press the day of the hearings...). Oh well, their is good and bad in every situation.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    I was just working on a tax overview blog to publish this AM and saw this thread so will include it in my post.

But wanted to let the CO affiliates here know about another discussion I found that's happening on Facebook, so you can all connect.

CO Affiliates please read regarding the advertising tax

"There is a hearing on Wednesday Jan 27th regarding the advertising tax in CO. Jeannine Crooks will be attending and speaking to the media. If you are a CO affiliate and would like to attend please get in contact and go with her if you can at 303-324-1016. She and Brad Crooks are the points of contact for CO.

Here are a list of CO affiliate marketers I have from this FB groupů
    Melanie, Jangro and others are posting over there and maybe somehow everyone can start coordinating efforts. Mel says she's emailing CO affiliates she knows and sending them to that discussion too.

In my research for this story last night I thought I saw another place where people were gathering to discuss the CO hearing and rally the troops, but now I can't find it. Will come back to add it if I do.

I just sent an email to my representative, asking to meet with him. I am not an activist, and - sadly - don't have time to organize or coordinate the effort, but I figured a quick email couldn't hurt. I asked for 15 minutes of his time. We'll see.
    ---
    Valerie Magee
    [URL=http://mageenet.net]MageeNET[/URL]

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Oops sorry, that Facebook link does not work and I can't edit it. (maybe a mod can for me?) It has an extra http in it.

Here is the link again.

CO Affiliates please read regarding the advertising tax
    http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...id=77931506576

I already contacted my CO State Senator and house rep on Saturday. Got one email response yesterday already letting me know that he will vote against the bill. Still waiting for reply from the senator ....

Quote Originally Posted by delsol
    Second idea: Contact the 2 sponsor of the bill and explain to them how this business works. 2 key points:

1) They will not collection much, if anything since merchant will drop affiliates (tons of affiliates in other states to pick up the sells efforts).

2) They will put out of business 1000s of affiliates in Colorado.

Note:
    This has been tried in California and Hawaii and both time the governor vetoed similar laws. This probably has to be done like some in Florida are recommending (a global internet sales taxes).
    Addtionally it is very difficult technically for small internet businesses to collect those different state/local tax rates and submit payments quarterly? (monthly?).

Sen. Rollie Heath, D-Boulder
    http://www.senrollieheath.com/

Rep. Jack Pommer (D-Boulder County)
    http://pommer.us
    Just emailed Sen Heath. Mr. Pommer has no email address on his website listed (pretty sad - his Wordpress installation is outdated (2.8.6)).

Since I know some of you will be preparing, I will be offline most of tomorrow (Tues) due to my son's neuro appt & testing. If you need to get in touch use twitter or phone.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

I just listened to this online - the bill has passed the house and is now heading to the Colorado Senate. Not good.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread