Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    When The Theme You Like Doesn't Upload Correctly
    I would say I don't have any problem with 90% of them. I usually download the zip file to my desktop and then upload them to Wordpress. And every now and then I have a problem and I just move on.

So I find one I really like, would be perfect for one site:

http://www.junglejar.com/2010/01/16/...late-ipsum-ak/

and I get these errors:

Warning: fopen(/home/mysite/public_html/mysite.com/wp-content/themes/ipsumak/style.css) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/mysite/public_html/mysite.com/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3598

Warning: fread(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/mysite/public_html/mysite.com/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3601

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/mysite/public_html/mysite.com/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3604

And I tried another theme from JungleJar and I get similar errors.

Andbody know how to get stuff like that to work? Do I need to go in some file and do something? And sometimes when this happens, I check around and notice others not having problems with uploading themes I might be having problems with so was wondering how I can fix these things. Thanks.

I'm rambling off the top of my head, but I think the fopen and fclose has changed to something else now because of security. Try googling it and see. If that's so, you' just need to change that file to the right word.
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

Told you I was rambling, I still haven't finished my first cup of joe.... Check the permissions on the style.css, it needs to be set to 777.

Hopefully someone else will come along and give you more info on how to prevent it in the future, but it is mostly likely a setting within your php.ini which prevents the files from being writeable. (That's the security issue I was thinkin of)

I'm trying to download the theme to see if I have trouble with fopen, but it's taking awhile. (I usually don't)
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

ABW Ambassador
    "Check the permissions on the style.css, it needs to be set to 777."

I opened up the zip file, double clicked style.css and don't know what you mean by permissions. I did a search and can't find that word anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    "Check the permissions on the style.css, it needs to be set to 777."

I opened up the zip file, double clicked style.css and don't know what you mean by permissions. I did a search and can't find that word anywhere.
    In your FTP program, navigate to the directory where the style.css file is. The, right click on it and it should have an option for permissions. Set it to 777 and you should be all set.

Are you downloading on your computer and opening or uploading to your host and opening? That will make a difference in how to tell you to change the permissions.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, I don't know the FTP stuff. I'm downloading the zip file to my desktop. Then I login to Wordpress - Appearance - Add New Themes, then Upload, Browse, Choose the Zip file from my desktop and then hitting Install Now, that's when I get the errors.

Ok, do you know your way around cpanel? Like, how to look at the list of files?

ABW Ambassador
    A little bit, I've went in there before to delete some files and themes when I had my down.

ABW Ambassador
    Ok, I'm in the Cpanel and see the ipsumak\style.css and I can right click and I see the permissions thing.

Go thru "file manager" so you can see the list of files, that you have just uploaded, specifically, where you can see style.css. (They should be there even though you had the error)

Checkmark the box on the left, and then at the top look for "change permissions".

A box will pop up and you need to make sure all nine of those boxes are marked.

Once the permissions are change, go look and see if you can see the theme in Wordpress. If should be there, try to activate it.

ABW Ambassador
    Got all 9 boxes checked, got 777 on the bottom and I clicked Change Permissions

ABW Ambassador
    I didn't see the theme in Wordpress so I tried uploading again and get

Unpacking the package.

Installing the theme.

Destination folder already exists. /home/mysite/public_html/mysite.com/wp-content/themes/ipsumak/

Theme Install Failed.

ABW Ambassador
    Maybe I should delete the theme file from the file manager and start it all over again? And go in there first after I upload it and change it to 777 and then try activating it?

You will get the same error if you try installing it again the way you did the first time. Hang on a few mins, (Unless someone else can help), It just finished downloading for me. I'll take a look at the file and see if I can change it to make it work for you.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks, I appreciate your help, even if we don't get this working

I see nothing in the theme files so it's not a theme issue. Do you have wordpress up to date?

Also I read that fopen will return a false negative if it is already open. Perhaps try closing wordpress admin, go back in and try to install the theme. Perhaps a new session will help.

I'll keep looking for an answer for you. There's really no reason to have trouble installing themes. Especially if this is something that keeps happening to you.

ABW Ambassador
    Trust, I will go ahead and forward the error message to my hosting support. I remember I had a similar file loading fail problem a while back. I opened a support ticket. My hosting tech support solved it in no time. Those people know their stuff.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by suzie250
    I see nothing in the theme files so it's not a theme issue. Do you have wordpress up to date?

Also I read that fopen will return a false negative if it is already open. Perhaps try closing wordpress admin, go back in and try to install the theme. Perhaps a new session will help.

I'll keep looking for an answer for you. There's really no reason to have trouble installing themes. Especially if this is something that keeps happening to you.
    Yep, have the current version. Thanks, I will try again later, need to get some rest. Thanks again.

Also, thanks Mayfly.

Check the permissions of wp-content and set to 777. (mine is set at 755, so if your's isn't 755, try that first)

99% of the time that I have seen this error it's because the zip file isn't structured correctly. Some theme creators, usually noobs, will put a folder inside the folder then zip it. For example, if the name of the theme is "Coolness", you should have a zip file called coolness.zip and inside of it should be all your theme's files. If you unzip it (thereby creating a folder called 'coolness' and inside of that folder you see another folder called 'coolness' - there's your problem.

If that's the case, it's a very simple fix. Just re-zip the interior 'coolness' folder and upload that from within your WP theme admin page.

Maybe it's to do with permissions and such, but I guarantee, if you have a folder situation like I described, that's your problem. If the folders are all correct, then yeah, you've got bigger problems.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Maybe it's to do with permissions and such, but I guarantee, if you have a folder situation like I described, that's your problem. If the folders are all correct, then yeah, you've got bigger problems.
    You're right, sometimes that is a problem and it drives me absolutely crazy!

But, I looked at it, and that's not the case this time.

Hopefully, it will just be a permissions setting on the wp-content folder. But dunno, since sometimes he doesn't have trouble.
    Last edited by suzie250; January 25th, 2010 at 03:43 PM. Reason: speeeeling, dang it

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by suzie250
    Check the permissions of wp-content and set to 777. (mine is set at 755, so if your's isn't 755, try that first)
    Mine was 755, changed it to 777, following this path

public_html
    mysite.com I clicked that and saw wp-content to the right and changed permissions, didn't work either.

I take it back about this not being a theme issue. I have tried to install it also and got the same error messages.

I'm going to go post at junglejar and see what they have to say.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast