a leap of faith or blind stupidity?
    so im new here and i'm a bit worried about my biz. ive been doing well and im comfortable with what im doing. I got in touch with CJ through a friend and i was in talks, got a contract and im waaayyyy confused. im no lawyer but it feels like they want ALL of my money just to say that im on the CJ network and i also feel that no matter how the contract is structured, im going to bite the dust....and i've heard that they sometimes mess up sites algo's. can anyone help me out? any advice, small or big.

http and a telephoto
    You are a merchant? Why would you sign a contract that you didn't fully understand?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

heck no i didnt sign anything! lol. thats why im here! i wanna see if anyone has advice on the company. I know that they are one of the bigger networks and the advice im getting from other sources is too mixed. i want to see what people like me have to say, not what the corporation reps or managers have to say.

http and a telephoto
    No one can tell you what network is best for you without knowing what it is you are selling. There are a number of threads here at ABW that are merchants asking what network they should be on. I recommend you do some reading in the Merchant Best Practices forum, the threads stickied there contain a lot of valuable information.

http://abestweb.com/bestpractices

You also might want to consider hiring a consultant to go over your website and determine if you are ready for an affiliate program and to recommend a network that you should consider being on.

Most Outsourced Program Managers here will do an initial consultation at no charge. I also have a Merchant ABCs podcast you can listen to that might be useful.

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=127755
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

There is extensive information on ABW about the different affiliate networks, along with information on "becoming a merchant" (on an affiliate network) and "Merchant Best Practices."

As you know, very few vendors will tell you that theirs is not the best solution for you. There are certainly many merchants who think CJ is a great network, and CJ might be a perfect match for your needs. But there are other networks (Google Affiliate Network, ShareASale, AvantLink, and more) which are definitely a better match for certain merchants.

If your concern is the setup fee and minimum monthly fees at CJ, I've got some bad news for you. (I usually don't think it makes sense to pay CJ a few thousand dollars for setup and $500 or more as a minimum monthly fee, when there are reputable alternatives with lower fees.)

The bad news: the fees you pay to CJ won't bring you any strong-performing affiliates; you need to recruit them yourself, and you'll need to manage your affiliate program to prevent a few unethical affiliates from "poaching" transactions that they didn't influence. Managing an affiliate program is time-consuming and complex, and you'll need to pay for that work, either by investing your own time (or another in-house manager's time) or by hiring an "Outsourced Program Manager" (OPM) firm. Without active, knowledgeable, skilled management, your affiliate program will fail.

It would help if you could provide a little bit more information about what you're trying to do online, as a merchant, and what you already know about how affiliate programs work and how you'd manage your affiliate program. (For example, do you sell tangible goods? Do you warehouse your own merchandise or rely on drop-shippers? Have you ever had any experience with affiliate programs?)

You might also find it useful to look at the "Outsourced Program Manager" (OPM) sub-forums on ABW, to see how these professional-services companies operate; some will gladly spend a half-hour on the phone discussing your situation.

I've also posted a bunch of free advice for merchants considering adding an affiliate program -- see the link in my signature, below.

Affiliate Manager
    Fearandloathing. CJ is about as pricey as it gets for joining a network and is not for everyone. Like Mark says you still need to recruit. ShareASale has been a favorite for some of the sites I've worked with in the past.
    [COLOR="Green"][SIZE="2"]Partner with VerticalResponse and earn up to $125 per sale! [URL="http://bit.ly/itF4W2"][U]Apply Now[/U][/URL].[/SIZE][/COLOR]

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread