Hi,, i was wondering if anyone would explain about parasites i keep hearing people on abestweb talk about merchants with parasites... i still dont understand what they are on about, how merchants use them, and how they benefit?

second,, who else is with aff merchants who pay but you get the feeling they are not paying completely,, they run there own affiliate program i.e. ncsreporting.com they pay but you feel as though your having to milk them to get the money.. i get a lot of clicks and i think for ever 100 clicks i probably have about 40 approvals but i only see about 1 or 2 approvals.. which i think is bullshit... i would like to see there affiliate software and how they monitor and payment is done..

1 or 2 approvals per 100 clicks is what it should be. if your only getting 100 clicks. Now If you were bringing like 500 clicks without any sales, then I would say thats Bullshit. 40 approvals with 100 clicks is impossible.

ABW Ambassador
    jasonco12

You are correct BUT you used a BAD word

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    The parasite is an affiliate like you, however...

They offer discounts that give them an advantage over you, and probably install Browser Helper Objects (BHO's) on the computers of those that wish to reap their discounts (a requirement is to accept "membership" and install the corresponding software which includes the BHO's) The BHO act on their own and are sometimes set up to overwrite your cookie when the user goes to your site or the BHO may initiate pop-up ads corresponding to the product on your site - in either case the parasite gets the commission.

As long as the merchant allows the parasite in as an affiliate, this scenario is a possibility.

This is a brief description - many others on this forum can do a much better job. You should check out the Parasiteware Forum on this site.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Adam-Sorry Adam Will try not to say such a bad word next time.. And let's change the impossible to possible, but With 100 clicks 1-2 approvals is still good. However lets say 40 approvals with 100 clicks is a excellent conversion rate if you can do that. But also 2 approvals within 100 clicks is still pretty good

ok thanks jason yah someoen else confirmed its good .. tooo..

i still do not understand parasite. is there a site that really clearly explains it all step by step...

Last hope: parasiteware is:

ParasiteWareâ„¢ - is technology (including, but not restricted to, browser helpers, browser plug-ins, toolbars and pop ups/sliders) that knowingly or unknowingly undermines or removes another affiliate's ability to compete by changing, intercepting or redirecting an affiliate link. Parasitewareâ„¢ may be installed knowingly or unknowingly by the end user, altering their normal web browser functions and/or installing a third party application that works through the user's altered browser.

http://www.parasiteware.com

Also checkout the forums related to parasiteware at http://www.abestweb.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Easiest way is for the newbee to hit some of those drive-by install sites or download weatherbug.com 180solutions.com gator.com whenU.com and throw in Kazzaa P2P music sharing. The resulting CRT displays aught to make it sink in...
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Some merchants have an affiliate program with more than one Network. How does that work with parasites?

Let's say for example that one merchant has an affiliate program with SAS which is parasite-free and the same merchant also has an affiliate program with CJ, which is highly parasite-infected, and the merchant listened to CJ and accepted every parasite known to CJ as affiliate.

If a customer has a parasite on his system and visits a SAS affiliate site for that merchant and the parasite pops up out of nowhere, and the customer buys something on the SAS affiliate site, who gets the commission? The honest affiliate or the parasite? Even though it's the same merchant, can the parasite overwrite the cookie of one network to put the cookie of another network in its place?

Catwoman

Nobody knows?

I've learned a lot about parasites here, but there are still a few things that make me wonder...

Catwoman

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Catwoman,

Depends on how the Merchant is set up to handle tracking across multiple Networks.

Generally speaking however, the last cookie in is the one credited, so the parasite would get the credit through CJ. Whether or not the affiliate would see a sale show on their SAS stats and then reversed again depends on how the merchants systems are set up.

The parasite didn't literally overwrite the SAS cookie both cookies should track. But in most instances the Merchant would only allow one commission to stick from one sale and they would give it to the last cookie in.

Thank you for the explanation Ms. B. Makes perfect sense, but definitely doesn't make it fair.

I think it was Trust who posted this in another thread, and he's entirely right: merchants don't need networks to work with parasites, they can do this on their own.

Catwoman

I want to know where in the hell does LastHope get there traffic? Cause if your getting 40 approvals off of 100 clicks, SPREAD THE LOVE! I will pay.

You can ruffly say that 1 approval per 100 clicks is good, if naturally. The average is around 2-3%. But, how and where your advertising, should get you a little better than that.

All based on your skills.
    Last edited by Arrmondo; June 7th, 2006 at 12:02 PM.

http and a telephoto
    lol, gotta love it when 2 year old threads find their was back up to the top! Posters beware, once you write something here *it never goes away*!!!!!

Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    "I want to know where in the hell does LastHope get there traffic?"

Who knows, last time they were here they had a little meltdown.

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=73321

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    "I want to know where in the hell does LastHope get there traffic?"

Who knows, last time they were here they had a little meltdown.

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=73321
    I forgot about the thread where, to quote trust, "loxly ripped him a new one"

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...163#post177163
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread