Apple IPad Announced. Live blog from event.
    This looks awesome! Below is a link updating live with pics and commentary as Apple is premiering the Ipad! Hope you enjoy!

10 hours of battery life. 1 month of stand-bye. This is a social media dream.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/l...reation-event/

What do you think of it?
    J. Duffield Affiliate Manager at Snow Consulting
    Let's Connect-PassTheSEO|#GSEG|Twitter|LinkedIn|Blog "Knowledge is Power."

OOOOOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another bright, shiny object ...
    Generate more fake news.

http and a telephoto
    Twitter is all a flutter with jokes about the name... iPad

A lot of people not very impressed with the overall package either.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

The announcement I was hoping for -- a Verizon iPhone -- didn't happen.

Don't see where I would have much use for an iPad, but who knows, maybe they'll sell.
    Your Ad Here.

Well, that's a relief -- to hear that a lot of folks aren't all that impressed with the thing.

I thought maybe, after looking at a couple of websites showing photos and features, that I was the only one who was less than impressed.

Of course, I have nothing Apple or Mac related in my life except the free iTunes music player software on my Windows machine.

Think if I were going for an iPad type goody, I'd stick more to a high-end netbook with that $499 price tag.
    Generate more fake news.

http and a telephoto
    Yup, you can get a heckofa netbook for $499 or less.

It's very, very slick when you see it in action. If you see a video clip of the user interface, it looks absolutely fantastic to use.

But... it can't run more than one application at once! I wrote on my other site that when Unix was written for the DEC PDP-7 in 1969, that could run several apps at the same time! Unix is the ancestor of the iPad's OS, so what the heck happened?

As for Verizon.. well, pretty much the rest of the world runs GSM / UMTS rather than CDMA.

Gotta admire Apple's talent for getting all that free publicity though..
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Want to make Apple and a Drug company mad?

ipadderall.com
    Jason Rubacky - CEO/SEO Nerd at PassTheSEO
    jason at passtheseo dot com
    @jasonrubacky

ABW Ambassador
    Was just watching the video. So it's basically a big iPod Touch it looks like.

Forgot about this, the Mad TV iPad commercial from a few years ago - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTzhXMbOWHE
    Last edited by Trust; January 28th, 2010 at 12:11 AM.

Joe and I did about 30 minutes or so about the iPad on the Geek Dads Weekly podcast today. Joe is fairly impressed and at least willing to give it a shot in the marketplace. I, on the other hand, think it's a failure of epic proportions. Maybe it'll improve in the next iteration, but the iPad as-is? As much of an Apple fan as I am (2 MacBooks, iPhone, iPod, Airport Router, Wireless Mighty Mouse, various accessories), I wouldn't buy it at half the price.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Yea I dunno, I was less than impressed. Even my girlfriend, who is a HUGE mark for all things Mac, thinks it's basically little more than an oversized iPhone. Really, the only overwhelming positive comments I've heard are from older users who like it because it's easier to see and the buttons are larger than an iPhone. I know that it has features beyond the iPhone, but really, the fact that it looks like an oversized novelty iPhone isn't going to help it.

A giant iPod Touch really... despite having 3G capability, they didn't build a phone in! Skype FTW? I guess we'll see.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Here's a YouTubed version of the promo video (I hate QuickTime). It would be better if they just showed the damned thing rather than people talking about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7TsDjwvvMI

I'm not a fan of Apple products myself, but the way the iPhone has captured a big slice of the market is very impressive.. I do remember when it came out, a lot of people were unimpressed though.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

One of the most important things is, that all the Apps(games, tools and other important news, sports apps) which were made for apple iphone(a little more than 140,000 apps till today) are also fully compatible with the ipad(only the graphics needs to be adjusted according to i.e. zoom in or black bars on the side).

With weight as less as around 700 gram!! it can be a real success for a normal house holds drawing rooms. If it is connected through a Wlan in home, it can be one of the most advanced devices for some in there homes.

Than we should not forget about the dev team!! when they are going to hack ipad(if it is not already happened) than it opens many more options for the technique fans.

Mac is already running on 5% of the world wide computers. The success of the Iphone and ipod is also known to every one. Lets wait and see if apple can do it once more with the iPad's as well, if Apple fails to make ipad a successful device than it will also be very interesting to see the reasons of failure.

twikker

Apple has been ripe for a backlash. People have swooned over three generations of iPhone, there's definitely some hostility towards the iPad. If it ran OS X then it would be much more interesting.

If it ran OS X I'd buy one on the day of release. Seriously. It would replace my 17" MacBook Pro for travel. Running the iPhone OS? Deal killer. Maybe I'm not their target market for this device, but as long as it's running the iPhone OS, I will never, ever own an iPad.

The iPhone OS is fine when it's on my iPhone - the phone's stability is paramount to everything else because I can't be without the phone. I can't risk the car breaking down on the side of the road and the phone not working because of some stupid app. The iPad is a whole 'nother story. A device in that form factor, there's no excuse for it to be locked down with an OS made for a phone.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel M. Clark
    A device in that form factor, there's no excuse for it to be locked down with an OS made for a phone.
    Wellllll..... it kind of depends. If you look at Android then I think it's more suited for a tablet, and Nokia's Maemo platform is too. They're all derived from Unix underneath!

The problem that I find is that unless I'm just doing a bit of casual browsing and maybe some emails, I really need something with a proper keyboard, screen and the ability to edit web pages and manipulate images. I don't really fancy "upgrading" my web sites to a CMS that I can use with a smartphone.

You also have the Nokia Booklet 3G in the same sort of market as this - a lot less sexy than the iPad, but I suspect more practical for people like us (whoever that is!)

Affiliate Manager
    Curved back case means you can't lay it flat on a table to type without it rocking. Holding it means typing with one hand.

Good for clicking, questionable for anything deeper.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Android isn't made specifically for a phone, though - it's just Linux. It just happens to be that the first device it was released on was a phone. Could've been a tablet, could've been a laptop. If the iPhone OS was nothing more than Linux, if it was customizable and more powerful (OS X is Unix-based, too) then I'd buy an iPad ASAP. As it is though... nah.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Here's a Google mock-up, indicating that perhaps the big G is looking at the same thing:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02...tablet_mockup/

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    $B+ lawsuit against Apple for the ipad trademark. Is this equivalent to a $10k fine to an NFL player?

Proview has won a court ruling in China confirming its ownership of the trademark in China and they are suing Apple for $1 billion-plus.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread