ABW Ambassador

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Trust!,

Thats the best news I have read this year!

DPG

ABW Ambassador
    Definetly a step in the right direction.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    About Time!

Thanks for news Trust.

ABW Ambassador
    Merchants should think about the long term repurcussions of working with spyware. I don't think a lot of big brand merchants can afford the association. Once i removed SaveNow from my gf mom's computer and got the pops to stop, she remembered the advertisers she saw in those pops and wrote them a nice letter She won't shop with them anymore. People don't like their computers messed with, watch out for consumer backlash.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar

about freakin time...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

You go, Microsoft!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> TrustNo1 wrote: Merchants should think about the long term repurcussions of working with spyware. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Very good point. I think most consumers don't really understand the finer points of these programs, nor do they want to. The bottom line is they don't know how it got there, and they want the pop ups to stop. The merchants who are featured in the pop ups are the ones consumers will relate to as being bad, because in their eyes it is one and the same.

Merchants will pay a far higher price than they suspect once this is officially made illegal. The free ride for those who operate in gray areas is about to end, and I pity the fools who are foolish enough to invest money in the companies these companies.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    Great news!

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Very good news. Seems they will be closing (or taking good steps towards closing) that Messenger hole. Many of the other steps MS is taking should put a dent in ability to do drive by installs.

The only one I'm a bit concerned about is the pop up blocker. Hopefully MS will code that better than some others have. And yes, I know what many will say about MS coding properly. LOL. Which is why I'm a bit concerned. It will also depend if the pop up blocker is default to on or off. But I certainly hope my ability to surf with open in a new window isn't blocked.
    I just wouldn't be able to surf. I'm also about launch a site that will use pop up quite a bit to provide users with additional information without them having to go another page and then come back. I hope that type of legit use of pops doesn't get blocked like some of the other major blockers do.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Everyone should comment to thta Wired News article writer showing our ABW support for this positive...loooong awaited move by Microsoft. Merchants, 3rd party AM firms and networks better start practicing domain bound affiliate butt kissing as this dooms the drive-by & hidden bundling infestations of the BHO commission thieves.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Funny that the CEO of Overstock is weening his AM's from reliance on BHO's for any future growth. Seems he and his family are close friends of Warren Buffet who makes all the right moves on shifting sands.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I'm glad I'm not one of the knuckleheads that just gave 180solutions a bunch of $$$.

CDC

+ Reply to Thread