Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    WiredTree VPS Outages
    I had a ticket in with a corrupt database problem last night. They tried a couple of things and we emailed back and forth. Around 23:17 all went dead. No sites and of course I couldn't get or send email. This morning I go to the host's site and look at the support ticket. The last entry was at 23:17
    We've just identified a file system error on the hardware node, which is most likely responsible for these crashed tables. We are rebooting the node for an FSCK, which will take at least 30 minutes to complete. Once this is done, your databases will most likely be back to normal.
    1 hour and 40 minutes since I updated the trouble ticket and no response. I see a toll free so will try that.

Edit: Just talked to support and they have major hardware issues and are restoring from backup. Time to live uncertain at this point. I have been happy with WiredTree until now. Hopefully the happy will return.
    Last edited by John Powell; January 28th, 2010 at 08:44 AM.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    That's a pretty long time to be down.

A lot of people here promote using a VPS to host their sites. This is the exactly the reason why I think it not such a good idea to have all your sites on the same server. I am assuming that most people only have one VPS Account If something goes wrong all of your sites on that server is down.

I have 4 main hosting accounts with different providers that that allow me to say host 10 sites and I will host say 6 sites keep 4 free sites available. I do this with each of the four host and if one of these host go down I can move the effected sites to the other host if I want to (Which out having to look for a new host or setting up a new hosting package) So if I want I can have all sites up and available with an hour in most cases.

Plus I have a 5th account at 1and1 (Fall over) since it is cheap and they allow unlimited sites.

I know that it is not as easy to do this with sites that use SQL Databases but it works for most of my sites.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

John, sorry to hear. I hope they get back up for you. WiredTree was one of the finalists I was going to go with for either VPS or dedicated. Let me know what happens.

kse, these are very good points you brought up. Would cloud servers solve the problem when one server goes out the other can take over, instead of going to a back up host else where? How long would that take to get a site up and running if you had to switch hosts in a pinch?

It is still possible if you host all your sites on a Cloud servers (one hosting company) to go down. Fire in Computer Room, Power failure & Backup Power failure, Hosting company goes under, etc......

I find that I start to get traffic coming back to my site within 30 minites of change DNS information but I do not get all of the traffic back for hours but some is better then none. For this reason I do not move sites with short outages I only move them 1) When the hosting company do not reply to my tickets with the hour or so 2) When the hosting company has a major issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ladidah
    John, sorry to hear. I hope they get back up for you. WiredTree was one of the finalists I was going to go with for either VPS or dedicated. Let me know what happens.

kse, these are very good points you brought up. Would cloud servers solve the problem when one server goes out the other can take over, instead of going to a back up host else where? How long would that take to get a site up and running if you had to switch hosts in a pinch?
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Great timing for this post..

I'm deciding where to get a VPS. A post the other day lead me to believe WiredTree.com to be a good choice.

This post proves otherwise..

Thanks OP!

I'm deciding where to get a VPS. A post the other day lead me to believe WiredTree.com to be a good choice.

This post proves otherwise..
    It's not so much the host as it is the technology. Like kse said if you do VPS or dedicated you put all your eggs in one basket. Hardware can fail with all of them. They are giving it there best it seems. I am keeping in touch via their online ticket.

Just got back from an hour walk and feel better. It's a bright sunny day out there and this techno world is so crazy.

IAmMe - Go to httpme.com. You can thank me later.

John - Best of luck. Downtime sucks. Any outtage that goes longer than 10 or 15 minutes is a real nightmare.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

http and a telephoto
    Midphase is good, they have a forum here. I personally have accounts on more than one server so if one fails I have options. I used to have everything on just one and learned the hard way that things need to be split up.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I'm not a superstitious person. I DO NOT believe in "jinxing" things by talking about them.

On the other hand, I won't say the name right here of the company that hosts my VPS, but it starts with "W," ends in "m" -- and is the company John uses for his VPS.

Having said or "not said" that -- my VPS has been fine and I have no knowledge of anything being down or glitchy or anything?? If I WERE at all superstitious, I'd end this post with the old adage, "Knock on wood."

But I won't say that.
    Generate more fake news.

my VPS has been fine and I have no knowledge of anything being down or glitchy or anything??
    Only those associated with that particular piece of hardware where affected.

I do have shared accounts for some of my clients on other hosting so it was not a total black out.

I remember a thread here about a data center fire and how many where affected then.

http and a telephoto
    By the second hour of being down, I'm researching new hosts (before I had more than one location) and by hour three I'm moving sites.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I treat my websites like I treat my money. I squirrel a little bit away in different accounts in several different places. LOL.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    i'm looking for a new host and was looking at a few companies mentioned in another thread here and also your comments. I discovered the "cloud" concept and am very intrigued. I am big on the support and access to support as many of us have seemed to experience, it's in the downtime/hardware failure time, that the true colors of a hosting company shines.

I have been checking out a few of the cloud type hosts and am wondering if anyone has had any experience with VPS.net? Along with having multiple locations in the US, they also are redundently backing up to a UK location as well, which intrigues me.

My sites are all WordPress based. I also like the idea that you can use IMAP mail rather than (or as well as) POP3 on cloud. I'd love to find a better way to optimize my mail between multiple computers and my iphone.

Any other cloud experiences (positive or negative) would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by BlogBonnieBlog
    I am big on the support and access to support as many of us have seemed to experience, it's in the downtime/hardware failure time, that the true colors of a hosting company shines.
    My guys were always accessible and busy working on getting me back up, but it seemed like they were down a long time. Maybe with a more expensive service you would have dual discs and a mere flip of the switch when one went bad.

I too would like to hear from an expert on the cloud or someone using it. An expert opinion on what type of redundancy we should require and how much time a major hardware outage requires would be nice. Most of us only really learn when we have trouble, and then we get caught up in the emotion of the downtime.

DavidH...if your paying that much you should look at a dedicated server

John, how long were you down in total...assuming your back up now.

i'd be interested in hearing more about cloud too, that should help with load balancing and everything, but you mentioned databases...i'm thinking that would be the big trick, keeping the DB updated on the fly at more than one location.

With a more static style site, you could have off server hosting (a cron job, just saves a backup as often as you tell it to) in a 2nd account, but i think you would need a like style VPS plan (2nd server) and some quick DNS time outs for your primary account, so when things go south the dns info is refreshed quickly.

how much down time have you seen on average per year?

John, how long were you down in total...assuming your back up now.
    Roughly 12 hours and thankfully that included the dead hours of the night when I get very little meaningful traffic.

WiredTree VPS
    Tried to add this to my old thread to keep a running total but the system wouldn't allow adding to a 260 day old thread. Anyway I'm completely down for over 2 hours. Since about noon today.

Received this about 2 hours ago:
    The filesystem on the hardware node appears to have gone read only and required us to reboot. The node is coming up now. We should have it online within the next 30-45 minutes.
    Bad luck day as my truck died this morning on the way to coffee. On the good side it was only a block from coffee and after my mechanic friend came and got me to his shop. Just sitting and waiting on all to get well. Probably have to go watch a little of the LSU vs Auburn game.

Good grief! When it rains, it pours.

John, you've had a run of bad luck with WiredTree, I know. I've been with them now for, uh, something over a year and I think I've only had one rough patch that lasted less than a couple of hours.

Let me ask you a BIG favor -- keep your VPS away from whatever server my VPS is on, please?? LOL!

Sorry, nothing really that funny about your situation. Hope they get it resolved soon -- and trust all goes well with the truck, too. (As for LSU-Auburn, I'm mainly neutral on that one.)
    Generate more fake news.

Back up and running. Must have been around 3 hours. I'm glad I don't have to manage a hosting service.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    John, you've had a run of bad luck with WiredTree, I know. I've been with them now for, uh, something over a year and I think I've only had one rough patch that lasted less than a couple of hours.

Let me ask you a BIG favor -- keep your VPS away from whatever server my VPS is on, please?? LOL!
    Yep I think sometimes it's the luck of the draw and which physical machine you live on.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    Good grief! When it rains, it pours.
    For sure. That was the Morton Salt slogan for years. Might still be if they exist.

As far as the truck goes I've been so blessed to have a friend for years that is a factory trained GM tech (not mechanics any more). He saved me tons of cash and helped me keep vehicles way beyond what most can do.

Glad to hear your sites are live again. That's every webmaster's nightmare and it can happen anytime no matter what host.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell View Post
    Tried to add this to my old thread to keep a running total but the system wouldn't allow adding to a 260 day old thread.
    I've merged them together. See this thread for details on how to reply to old threads.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    I've merged them together. See this thread for details on how to reply to old threads.
    Thanks for the clarification Michael.

OK here is the summary year to date for 3 major outages in 9 months:

1. Jan 28, 2010 for 12 hours (Started this thread).
    2. July 28, 2010 for over 5 hours that I know about. I didn't post about it because we where on the road coming back from Montana. Was in contact with support via iPhone and email.
    3. Oct 23, 2010 today for over 3 hours.

I've been advised before that I have been to patient with this. I'll be forwarding a link to WiredTree and will start considering a move.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast