Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thumbs up Commission Change Notification
    Hi All,

We have added a new affiliate timesaver to the ShareASale! Affiliates are now notified if a merchant changes their custom, group or default commission.

Example: A merchant has a current commission of 20% and decides that they are going to increase their overall commission to 25%. All current affiliates of that program will be notified via email that these changes have taken effect. This new feature will work the other way around too. So if a merchant decreases their commissions all current affiliates will be notified.

So, now is a perfect time to make sure your email in your ShareASale is up to date!

As always, Please let us know what we can do to improve things at shareasale.com/fixit And if you have any questions, definitely feel free to drop me a note at jason at shareasale dot com!

Thanks!
    Jason Rubacky - CEO/SEO Nerd at PassTheSEO
    jason at passtheseo dot com
    @jasonrubacky

ABW Ambassador
    Great, I know this is something people have wanted for sometime, including myself.

Thanks for getting this implemented!
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

So will this email show both the Old & New Rate?? What about if a Return Day is modified, will that be reported as well??
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by kse
    So will this email show both the Old & New Rate?? What about if a Return Day is modified, will that be reported as well??
    Yes, the email will show the change from old commission rate to new commission rate.

Great suggestion to update Return days!
    @jasonrubacky

Example of email:

This is an automated notification regarding a commission change for the (Insert Merchant Here) ShareASale Affiliate Program.

This merchant has made a change to their default commission rate.

Previous Per Lead Commission: $5.00
    New Per Lead Commission: $0.00

If you have any questions regarding this change, you should contact the merchant via your ShareASale account.
    @jasonrubacky

It's just in time for a Valentine's Day promotion. I'm bumping default commission significantly for the month of February. I just hope affiliates remember that this is only a temporary bump and that they don't react once its lowered to normal at the end of the month.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Very nice, thank you!
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Affiliate Network Rep Brent E. - Shareasale's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hoffman Consulting
    It's just in time for a Valentine's Day promotion. I'm bumping default commission significantly for the month of February. I just hope affiliates remember that this is only a temporary bump and that they don't react once its lowered to normal at the end of the month.
    Hey Greg,

You may want to consider sending them a newsletter so that they expect it.

Thanks,
    Brent

It's in the works. The word TEMPORARY will be prominent. Thanks, Brent.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Perhaps you can add an optional field in the notification where the merchant has the option of including an explanation?
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

ABW Ambassador
    And it works, got my first one today from a gift personalized, nice bump from 20% - 35%.

Manager - Affiliate Marketing Patrick Vesperman's Avatar
    Having a way to bump commission without triggering this email once commission reverts to normal is necessary. Otherwise, affiliates will be getting too many emails and AMs will be drafting too many emails.

The feature is a good one though...just needs a little merchant workaround

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    And it works, got my first one today from a gift personalized, nice bump from 20% - 35%.
    @jasonrubacky

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Excellent new feature SAS! Thank you!

There will be some confusion and issues.

I got two such notices today. One telling me a merchant dropped commission %, the other telling me commission % was upped.

The dropped commission merchant had to back it up with a separate email explaining that the drop was due to returning to regular commission structure after a January incentive increase that was only for the month. That's gonna cause panic if not properly explained in the original email. LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Gee - I wonder who's email that was?!?

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Yeah I can see some issues with that.

Perhaps a box could be provided to merchants to enter a comment?

I would suggest to AMs in the meantime to send any explanatory email FIRST.

My two cents.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

ABW Ambassador Stephanie Lichtenstein's Avatar
    I know a lot of affiliates will be happy with this addition. Well done ShareASale!
    @MicroSteph | Stephanie Lichtenstein
    President of Micro Media Marketing
    Outsourced Social Media Management
    Get Connected: LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | AIM: AffiliateLady | Skype: StephanieLichtenstein

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    It was implemented to basically just state the facts, on any change to the commission rate. Should definitely be combined with a merchant newsletter to explain any significant changes - but we wanted the notification to be just that - a notice of a factual and actual change in commission structure.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Good point Brian. The more I think about it, the more I like it the way it is.

I think AMs will just have to get in the habit of notifying affiliates ahead of time of the WHY.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by pjvesperman
    Having a way to bump commission without triggering this email once commission reverts to normal is necessary. Otherwise, affiliates will be getting too many emails and AMs will be drafting too many emails.

The feature is a good one though...just needs a little merchant workaround
    Nope, gotta agree with Brian on this one. It needs to be "a notice of a factual and actual change in commission structure" and it needs to be as automated as possible. As soon as "merchant workarounds" are added unscrupulous merchants will find ways around any notification.

Merchants just need to become a little more proactive and affiliates need to sometimes do a little research to find out why there was a change or contact the AM if there's a question. One or two additional e-mails isn't going to put that much of a burden on us. This has been needed for a long time.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Matt - I'd have to disagree. While this is a great feature for Affiliates (thanks Brian and SAS), it can cause un-need panic.

Let's say you, as an merchant/AM, decide to bump your commission for a few weeks. You send a note to all current affiliates letting them know about the change and they should expect it to change back on such and such (great saying, by the way!) a date. During those few weeks, you approve 100 new affiliates. One of the first emails they are going to get from your program is a notice saying "Merchant X has dropped their commission rate". They are instantly ticked-off, confused, etc.

In addition, many of your previous affiliates don't read all your emails (can't imagine why ) and just by chance read the one saying their commission has just been changed.

While the whole situation can be easily fixed by a few emails, phone calls, tweets, etc. it is causing unnecessary upheaval.

Turning to my program - this tool became available, no kidding, a couple days before my commission bump ended. This bump was thoroughly published to affiliates who knew about it. However, as soon as I changed the commission back to normal, withing a couple minutes (no joke) I got emails asking, "why would you do this??"

- It would be beneficial to affiliates to have a merchant/AM work around so as to NOT cause this negative reaction AND they would have fewer emails from merchants (although, as I said before, I can't imagine why an affiliate wouldn't want an email from merchants )

....just my thoughts I am all for giving affiliates the facts. But adding a work around would provide facts as well. I really think, based on experience (see previous paragraph) that the benefit to affiliates is big.

I totally understand all sides on this.

Curious to hear what more people think.

Would having to get an extra email be too much?

Is it possible that indeed affiliates might miss one email but see the other?

Would the automated email as is with a comment box be appropriate? Perhaps with a limited number of characters (say 255)?

I think Patrick makes some great points, but I also understand the desire to keep it to just the facts...

Patrick, would a comments area suffice as a "little merchant workaround" to you?
    Matt McWilliams

Quote Originally Posted by MattMcWilliams
    Patrick, would a comments area suffice as a "little merchant workaround" to you?
    I don't know what I mean by "work around" but I was thinking something more underhanded and sly

Just Kidding - a comment box would be fine and I would certainly like to hear other opinions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast