Here's a couple creative asset theories tested in the past. Please outline if your opinion is theory, or facts based on testing. Opinions are great, don't get me wrong, just want to know where the data is coming from.

1: Tested the EXACT same 468x60 animated banner, one 9K, one 18K. Did this three times. The 9K banner always out-performed the 18K banner.

2: The famous yellow background Classmates banner was also tested with a white background, and the clickthrough and conversion rate fell by half.

3: Opinion. The creative asset that drives the highest clickthrough may have nothing to do with the highest conversion rate.

More spew from the Naked Zombie...

There is the user. The user comes to your site (the mailbox). In the mailbox he/she sees lots of linkys/banners/textlinks/etc (envelopes). He/she clicks on a merchant link (opens the envelope) and goes to look and and evaluate the merchants site (sales letter).

Hey Zombie,

I rarely use them ....the bottom line for me in online sales and conversions is targeted "everything".

That means targeted visitors, targeted pages, targeted text links or banner images.

I used to play around with banners say 3 years ago .... but once I started getting serious about aff marketing I dropped them all together for text links.

I simply create text links close to the top of pages with the keywords a user on my page would be intrested in. If my "targeted webpage" is about "cross country ski gear" then I would place a text link with the words "ski gear" right at the top of the page.

I have found this type of linking to work real well. I know in this post your looking for info relating to banners. I hope this info is of some us.

Cheers,

ABW Ambassador
    >but once I started getting serious about aff marketing I dropped them all together for text links.

SO TRUE

BDS offers banners but most affiliates add text with a link above or below them.

Brian-

No, that's great. Copywriting is a creative too, just not graphic.

Can you outline what within the text links you have tested and learned from? ie. Make just the keyword, or an entire sentence the merchant link? Any sales conversion tests with ALL CAPS verus lower case? How many text merchant links on one page is too many?

FWIW, one successful banner designs that performed well was white background with text that looked like standard text, and links that looked like standard links. So, even in banners, text links work good too.

Adam-

Does BDS write text copy for affiliates to add above or below the banners? Do you simply encourage affiliates to add the text, or provide some of the copywriting for them?

And, I'm curious. What type of text messages do you see that drives the highest conversion? Click for coupon? Click for Free Shipping? Click here and webmaster gets a Scooby Snack?

ABW Ambassador
    :: nakedzombie

At BDS we don't encourage duplicate content.
    We also keep what our affiliates are writing to improve CTR to ourselves.

That said, there is a lot of Call to Action material out there!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    It's been about 3 years since I tested, but I did test.

As for banners, pages with a banner did better than pages without one. This test was done way back before I started using feeds, so it was easy to tell what was what. I put one page (w/banner and sales spin) on one site, and a different one (just sales spin) on another.

It is interesting to note that the people didn't actually click on the banner--the sales came from text links in both cases. But the graphic-less page didn't catch their interest as much.

When it comes to which banners get clicked, when I've run my own banners on Tribal Fusion, the animated ones got more clicks 2 out of 3 flights (same exact banner except parts flashed on/off on the animated one).

As for which text links, I've tested this too, and for me there is nothing which consistently beats good old "Click Here." I can work a "Click Here" into almost any pitch, and when the merchant doesn't offer it I mutate some other link.

Right up next to Click Here is "MerchantName." That is easy to get into pitches, too. It should NOT have other words pre-stuck in with it by the merchant! The chance of a merchant's train of thought matching my own is minimal, and usually I end up having to cut the extra words before I can use it.

There are a few rare exceptions but those two have been my most consistently-performing text links.

After I checked those stats a couple of years ago, I just went with "Click Here" or "MerchantName" in text links from then on, and if I don't have a logo for the site I put some kind of banner on to provide a graphic.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    I've found some banners to work pretty good, at least for me.

Deal of the day banners, that update on their own. Today only deal, call to action type stuff.

Banners with a promotion. Click here to get 20% off. Promotion with a little bit of text.

Banners featuring a hot product.

Basically banners that are targetted to products and promotions. Banners just with a merchant's logo and nothing else, not too good.

I do use banners, but not for driving sales to merchants.. I use them on content sites to drive visitors to my affiliate sites, basically I create a nice looking 468x60 banner and stuff it in the space I've left in the template.

That way you can design your own banners, plus of course it counts are a direct inbound link to your other site.

The new AdSense graphical banners might be interesting.. there's a good chance of getting a really well targetted banner for your content pages.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

dynamoo-

Slimeware Corporation is a rocking great concept and logo. Let us design some shirts and figure out where to direct the money and let's make a real f#cking point.

Well, it is late...but we'll chat about it.

Back to the track. Keep the text links running hard, they seem to be the highest in term of conversion.

AND TrustNo1, if it's not too late...congrats on 5,000...wow. I'm late to the game, but digging your stuff.

When you were a kid and you had a lemonade/Koolade stand, in front of your house, you made a sign. The sign said "lemonade 25 cents".= A text banner.

Or, you made a banner with a glass of lemonade with ice cubes and water droplets on the glass and the sun in the background, <span class="ev_code_RED">LEMONADE Keeps you COOL</span>,<span class="ev_code_GREEN">25 cents per tall glass. </span> Which would you choose.

We use banners as eye candy to give the page a 'feel', something to look at while the commercial loads.

We use text cause the banners that are offered by the merchant sucked.

Banners to us are good.
    www.joeytomatoes.com :: Day Care For Your Brain

We had a very successful 125x125 gif banner of "text links", which TOTALLY integrated into the navigation bar of a leading men's portal. The creative was pull shortly after it gone live by the publisher.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread