Not sure who or where to ask
    I don't want to dog an affiliate program, but how do I find out if one is reputable or a scam?

http and a telephoto
    Do a search for the company here at ABW and the company name + scam in the search engines.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks Loxly. I've already done a google search and found some negative information, but I'm not sure that it was a significant amount to rely on it too heavily. I just had a bad experience with them and I started getting sketchy. I did a search before I signed up with them, but didn't find any garbage on them at the time. Doing a search through ABW will hopefully eliminate any of my doubts.

Didn't find any dirt on here--does that make it close to "set in stone?"

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    You could name the merchant and ask for feedback, especially because of what you described as a "bad experience". If others have had similar experiences, then, well, do the math. If not, maybe they deserve the benefit of the doubt.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Thanks AffiliateHound. I just didn't want to be thought of as a "spammer." The company is Blue Horizons Group, AKA New Energy Entrepreneur. They sell you a website to market solar products. I think they make a good amount of money advertising. I got slam dunked with having an ad on Local Ad Link at a whopping $249.99/month. I was told by the Business Development Department that if I didn't get any action, it "wouldn't cost me a thing." The first charge was December 11. I was checking my bank account and was charged another $249.99 on January 11. I was irrate. I had never seen the website, never given log-in information, had no clue that it even had a Back Office, and therefore had no way to cancel. In spite of "them" canceling it on January 19, I wasn't even given a pro-rated discount for January. Two days ago, I e-mailed them to ask that a copy of their "verification" tape" be mailed to me and haven't heard a thing back from them. So I complained to Local Ad Link. My site is still up and running but I doubt if I'm on their "favorites" list. I've been half tempted to dispute the January charge with my bank. Interestingly enough, I thought I would check out Local Ad Link and found that there were almost 10 websites identical to mine within a 100 mile radius from where I live. Wouldn't surprise me if they had some sort of discount package and that's why they didn't want me to get into the back office. There I spilled the beans.

Search "Local Ad Link" in G and a lot of scam reports come up.

I take it that Local Ad Link, Blue Horizons Group, and New Energy Entrepreneur are all the same outfit, or did you unwittingly merge one scam with a second one?

Anyway, even if the ad charges were legit and the affiliate program viable, these outfits that provide a website to their affiliates give you nothing of value. Their cookie-cutter sites have zero value, and the only way to get targeted visitors would be through legit ppc (Adwords, Yahoo SM, MSN Adcenter), but the chances of turning a profit would still be slim.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Thumbs up ABW - Am I ever glad I found you!!!
    @AffiliateHound -- I haven't even touched the tip of the iceberg reading about the Local Ad Link scam through the Google search. Whether or not they are affiliated with Blue Horizons Group (New Energy Entrepreneur), can't say for sure. But you've given me enough information to win my boxing match. And I won't quit until the "fat lady sings." What a bunch of dirtbags. Had it not been for you folks here (and especially this Board and AffiliateHound), I'd still be scratching my head wondering. Apparently the BHG got someone for $10,000. Fortunately, I can say that I didn't get screwed that bad. Thanks for the great ammunition so I can start planning my strategy.

Guess I'll have to shop around ABW to find a DECENT affiliate marketing program that's actually legit.

Glad to have helped.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcangel13
    Guess I'll have to shop around ABW to find a DECENT affiliate marketing program that's actually legit.
    Start with Shareasale.com and in particular their Top 100 PowerRank merchants and the SAS merchants who have their own subforums here.

Thanks again AffiliateHound. Think I'm going to continue my education with ABW before I commit to anything, but I will definately take your advice.

One rule of thumb in the Affiliate Marketing business: never, Never, NEVER pay money to join an affiliate program.

There are a lot of good tips here at ABW about getting started. AffiliateHound mentioned a good place to consider and I concur with that recommendation. ShareASale has some great programs and some "tools" to help get (and keep) you going.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Bill, I appreciate your feedback too. Just wondering if any scams "sneak" into shareasale before it's evident that the program is a scam. Just curious. I appreciate all of you more than you know. Thanks for guiding me and I look forward to the day that I can say "I did it." Still doing a lot of reading.

Thanks for the Leadership ABW - Getting my Money Back
    Thanks to your answers, I decided to take action not only with the Bank but with Local Ad Link. I was pretty surprised to get a response from Local Ad Link that they were going to refund my money back. Only problem is I already closed the card they charged so the bank is going to get it refunded. Anyone see any difference on where I get the mone back as long as it happens. Next step is to get that website taken off the web because I really dont want anything to do with BHG after talking to you guysl ''''thanks again to all of you" that participated in my question.

Thanks to all. I did indeed get my money back from Local Ad Link. Thanks for the great leadership. I couldn't have done it without you (and you know who you are). YOU'RE THE BEST.

Here's the deal with Blue Horizons (New Energy Entrepreneur)
    The New Energy Entrepreneur package was originally created to be a legitimate online hub offering energy efficient and green products. It was one affiliate program comprised of 4 other affiliate programs. The initial start-up fee for the program was like $49 dollars. The fee included a custom wordpress blog set up, URL registration, "custom" website, hosting, business card template, some reference materials about online marketing and registration for all participating affiliate programs.

It was intended to be sold exclusively online with an non-intrusive option to buy marketing mentioned in the reference materials. The popularity of the program was so huge when it launched they decided to actively market using their outbound call center. They also raised the price to $449 (which could be negotiated down).

The plan was to get people hooked on the phone and then call them back to buy advertising on the back end using google national radio ads as the main traffic generator. Unfortunately Google shut down the radio ads and NEE and BH (which are the same company in the same office) reverted back to the old ineffective back-end marketing scams (pop-up ad campaigns, guaranteed traffic, and meta tags).

The company has no "marketing" department, just a bunch of slick hungry sales people.

If you ever have a problem with the marketing package you purchased, they just recommend changing your meta tags and waiting 30 days to see if google ranks your site better. They repeat that process until you either go away or you've had your site long enough for them to challenge any refund request or credit card dispute.

I would strongly recommend not working with this company as they do not have your best interest in mind. And, in my opinion, participate in shady business practices.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; February 6th, 2010 at 05:08 PM.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread