The Asteroid Belt
    Suggestions about Thread Moderation
    An open letter to Mr. Michael Coley and iNet

To whom it may concern:

I am sure all involved would like to see the ABW Forum continue to grow. How you choose to do this is entirely up to you.

I would like to give my feedback in a way that you might want to consider improving not only the quality of this forum, but also improve the communication of affiliates, merchants and networks.

I have only been a member of this forum for a little over a year. However, during that year, I have witnessed a very common practice.

A member begins a thread on a subject surrounding affiliate marketing. Another member comes in for one reason or another and attacks the topic or takes the thread off-topic.

Often, the end result is the thread is closed or removed to wherever threads go to die.

This practice may seem like the logical way to handle such an issue, but I want to offer you an alternative.

What if...

There was a section for those who had earned PM rights to start a thread. In this section, the starter of the thread was given the ability to delete post that was being placed to throw thread off-topic or were seen as "attacks" on the topic or poster.

Of course, moderators would also have this ability, too.

However, instead of simply ending what might be a valuable discussion because of off-topic or attack post, the thread could simply be "cleaned-up".

If the starter of the thread was also given the ability to prevent repeat offenders from even posting on their thread, this would not only further the informative and beneficial topics that often are closed or sent to the "conversational thread graveyard".

Just a suggestion you may want to consider.

Thank you for your time and I appreciate this opportunity to share my feedback with you.
    Last edited by loxly; January 30th, 2010 at 12:26 PM. Reason: changed title to be more accurate, removed line that was just for drama

http and a telephoto
    If you have been paying attention since iNet took over and made Michael the site admin, he has done a lot of what you are saying needs to be done. He has split out off topic drama and discussion into separate threads where needed. However when a whole thread goes south, it's deleted. If a thread is created to make drama, it needs to go. If a person starting a thread says "I know this is going to eventually disappear" then it probably will.

There is not a chance that anyone other than Moderators will have the ability to moderate a thread or posts, that would open a can of worms that would be uncontrollable.
    Deborah Carney

Houston, TX
    From a member perspective, I would be very against giving us members the ability to edit threads in any way, even the ones we start. I don't want to go into a thread worrying that if I say something the wrong way or have bad hair that day that I'll be deleted.

I think you have good intentions, and in a perfect world, it would be a decent solution... but I don't see it working here at all (as Debbie said above).
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

The Windy City
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfinch
    If the starter of the thread was also given the ability to prevent repeat offenders from even posting on their thread, this would not only further the informative and beneficial topics that often are closed or sent to the "conversational thread graveyard".
    I can't believe that a member that so constantly and consistently complains about censorship would even entertain such a thought.

It sounds to me like you're looking more for a soap box than an exchange of ideas. The type of limited, one-sided discussion that you're suggesting would be better suited to your personal blog than on an open forum.

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

ABW Ambassador
    Nunya, Business
    You can just flag it and a mod will usually take care of it, as an example one of your other threads -

I deleted a bunch of way off topic posts.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Katy, Texas
    SF - You can get hold of me at jimmy at

I'll help you out with the banner stuff we were discussing.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy ) .... .... ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread