Good/Best [Legitimate/Authentic] "How to Become an Affiliate" Training Program(s)?
    Hello ABestWeb'ers,

Although I am not involved in Affiliate Marketing myself, I admire what can be accomplished with businesses such as your's. Commendations.

A 22-year old family member has been rendered unemployable by a horrific auto accident. To help them develop a source of income which accommodates their condition & medical needs, I've been investigation Affiliate Marketing [regrets, it needs to be said: Legitimate Affiliate Marketing] as an alternative for this young person.

While I see signs of success among many of the participants in this excellent forum...I'm unable to find much information regarding authentic "How to Get Started..." training programs.

[Because of my complete disdain for the wallet-vacuuming Internet Marketing Gurus (insert your own list of lengthy names here) who've made their fortunes shilling shlock which does not accurately reflect the actual way they made their fortunes, I'm completely avoiding the dreck they peddle pandering to desperate people who years (and tens of thousands of dollars) later learn that this endeavor is anything but "...quick, brain-dead simple and easy." (In spite of the abundance of the guru's FTC-suspicious testimonials and pictures of large checks to the contrary.)]

So...on the belief that there must be a forum like ABW--where "real," authentic, businesslike Affiliate Marketers convene--I searched for, and found, you wonderful folks. Yea! (I'm so glad you're here...and appreciatively commend Mr. de Poel's insight in forming this forum.)

Would you be so kind as to suggest a "non wallet-vacuuming Internet Marketing Guru" legitimate/authentic training & support program from which my family member can start to learn the rudiments of your business?

(Bad timing on my part, I learned last night that earlier this week LinkShare conducted their "University" on...Wed of this week. Drat. Reading their flyer, their program seems to reflect the degree of authenticity sought.)

As a "civilian" among you accomplished business leaders, please accept my appreciation for your assistance in this matter.

Good hunting out there...and many, many thanks,

Plane Wryter

http and a telephoto
    Welcome to ABW and you can start with the Magic Bullet thread where there is much useful information and links to even more useful information.

There is also a forum with podcasts that are made to help affiliates get started:
    http://abestweb.com/affiliateabcs

Plus a search for information about the type of site you want to make will unearth a plethora of information.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Dear Loxly,

Thank you very much for pausing in your business day to reply to my request.

Your time & thoughtfulness are appreciated.

Please be absolutely assured...the reason for my inquiry is that I'm not looking for a Magic Bullet.

Quite the opposite. I want the "Anti-Magic Bullet." By that I mean, I want the affected family member to stay as far away from the vipers as possible.

While I have searched hours-and-hours looking for a Legitimate AM training program for him to pursue...the viper's vapid, foundationless, predatory, parasitic, mis- dis- and wrong information have (at least for me) drowned out any authentic signals in the marketplace.

I know (and have told my family member) that success will come after years of effort and purposeful study.

However, I'm unable to find a sensible starting point into AM.

The "Guru's" dominate. I'm looking for the Anti-Guru; the Real Deal. Not with a sense of "take your valuable time and tell me everything so I can make zillions will watching tonight's rerun of the Simpsons," but rather...what's the best point-of-departure to commence a life-long quest for learning?

And...we (I will fund the young man to help him get going) fully expect to pay, spend time, study, investigate, etc., etc., No Silver Bullets; please! Just...where's a sensible & authentic place to start? Where can a 20-something with limited mobility and a GED go to start a many year's long process of learning without falling into the viper's trap(s)? I've looked at eBooks, sites, Amazon, forums, conventions, uncountable blogs, etc., etc., etc., etc.

After all this research, the closest thing I've found (as a self-admitted civilian) was (a) Full Sail's degree program; and (b) the course that (darn it) LinkShare gave this Wednesday at their Academy.

Hope springs.

If there's two...I hope there's others.

To that end, thanks for the reference to the f-r-e-e podcasts.

The young man (and probably me, too) will work our way thru the podcasts. Any further specific suggestions you'd care to offer will be warmly welcomed and deeply appreciated.

Loxly, I've read hundreds of the posts here in ABW. Much of the assumed knowledge in the posts is foreign to me...and will be 1,000x more foreign to the young man I'm seeking to assist. This is why I seek an authentic training program which explains the basics...things so elementary to most of the ABW participants they'd laugh at the ignorance of the question...yet absence of such foundational understanding inhibits comprehension.

While I understand every single word, I have no idea what most of the posts are talking about.

Two small examples--of dozens--I don't have the context to understand why 'link cloaking' is a big deal...how one affiliate can snipe another's code (do they hack into someone else's website?)...and why re-directs seem to be so important.

Yes...fundamental questions like that!

Here's an even more basic question: how does anyone make money with PROGRAM-X if everyone can be an affiliate?

You'll snort in total disbelief: This question has me completely befuddled.

Reading the posts, it seems like everyone (except me) has figured out the answer to this absurdly elementary question. In my ignorance, I'm sure there's an answer (or this forum, Affiliate Summit, and hundreds of thousands of people involved in AM wouldn't be here)...yet after hours of research...the answer is more elusive than ever.

(Except in the viper's endless SERP pages of Super-Secret-Today-Only-Magic-Silver-Bullet-Never-Before-Released-Launch of How to Make Zillions--Tonight--While Watching the Simpsons!!!! Claim Your Copy Now. Limited Offer. Once gone; never repeated. Order Now. Click Here. Do it now. Click. Go ahead. Why aren't you clicking?).

(Sheesh. Is there any signal in all that noise?)

Dear Loxly, in addition to the podcasts you suggest, if you choose to offer any additional suggestions regarding where my family member can commence his life-long quest for authentic learning (and avoid the vipers), your comments will be welcomed and acted upon with a profound sense of gratitude.

Many, many thanks!

Plane Wryter
    Last edited by planewryter; January 30th, 2010 at 04:58 PM.

http and a telephoto
    The Magic Bullet thread is full of "how to get started" advice.

Here's an even more basic question: how does anyone make money with PROGRAM-X if everyone can be an affiliate?
    Because some people are better at selling than others.

Don't worry about link cloaking until you have a site created. And there is plenty of information about Parasites in that section of the forum. Stay away from merchants that allow those types of affiliates. They don't get into your website, they get on consumers computers and overwrite your link when they get to the merchant's website.

Take baby steps. Find a niche, create the site, find products to promote that are in that niche.

Don't try and make a megamall. Don't try and make a loyalty or coupon site.

Do lots of reading and it will be more clear. Read the Magic Bullet thread a couple of times and the stuff you didn't understand at the beginning will become clearer the second time through.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

http and a telephoto
    There isn't an "authentic" training program. The only one that I might recommend is Jeremy Palmer's Black Ink Project. I don't know if it is still open or if it costs anything, I do know that people that I know went through it and were impressed with the process.

I'm trying to build a basic program but it keeps getting pushed to the back burner because client work comes first and my own projects come second.

ABW Ambassador
    Your family member should be the one asking questions and doing research. Also, what is his relation to you? I know when I speak of family members, I'll say my cousin, my brother, my uncle etc.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Loxly podcasts are good and I usually listen to them.

I think it might be good for your family member as it is easy to listen over reading especially if mobility is a problem.

Webmasterradio.fm also has a lot of podcasts and can add some variety.

I would say that affilaite marketing is about conversions to sales and traffic. They might try getting traffic first on a site they are interested in.

Traffic is always good and will encourage them to keep adding content or tweaking the site.

But I agree with Trust that at some point they will have to take over this project and make it their own. If that happens ever.

Maybe podcasts can make it more personal and let them see that other people are doing it.

http and a telephoto
    There are also a lot of podcasts about various aspects of affiliate marketing at http://geekcast.fm

andbeyond, that is a great recommendation about the podcasts! It is a great way for a limited mobility person to learn.

My sons *loved* audio books since it was difficult for them to hold a regular book.
    (I happen to know a lot about wheelchair bound kids)

http and a telephoto
    You fly? Nice pic on your twitter account

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Your family member should be the one asking questions and doing research. Also, what is his relation to you? I know when I speak of family members, I'll say my cousin, my brother, my uncle etc.
    I would hope that the family member is also doing research in other locations. I know if I was in a situation, I'd be hitting up my family to research in as many places as they could. I don't know if that's the case here, but it could be.

(but it is kinda weird about the phrasing)

Jeremy is doing the third version of his Black Ink Project now, but it's been renamed Blueprint for Profitability. I've heard nothing but positive things about it, and I participated somewhat in Black Ink 2 - it was a good project, but I didn't have the discipline to keep up with it (which is not a reflection on the quality of the material). I NEVER recommend training programs , especially the ones that have red flags like gimmick pricing. Jeremy's is the one exception.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

If I were to recommend one affiliate "guide" for someone looking to get started, it would be the Super Affiliate Handbook by Rosalind Gardner. It gives a good overview of affiliate marketing and practical steps to get started.

The referenced "Magic Bullet" thread will attest to the fact, that there is a long road ahead in terms of learning and developing into a professional affiliate marketing. Like anything, it takes time to master.

Best of luck,

Anthony

Look into Ed Dale's 30 day challenge. It is free (no credit card info or anything like that) and it is a very good basic start into affiliate marketing.

Your family member can do last year's challenge (I did it and really got a lot out of it!) and then do this year's challenge in August, I plan to do it again, too. All of last year's challenge is still online. Google for 30dc.

Quote Originally Posted by seo-affiliate View Post
    If I were to recommend one affiliate "guide" for someone looking to get started, it would be the Super Affiliate Handbook by Rosalind Gardner. It gives a good overview of affiliate marketing and practical steps to get started.
    Yep, anything by Rosalind Gardner is excellent... I'm loving www.affiliatebloggerpro.com Well worth the investment. :-) Best of luck to you and your family member!

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel M. Clark View Post
    I NEVER recommend training programs , especially the ones that have red flags like gimmick pricing. Jeremy's is the one exception.
    OH my gosh!!! That has GOT to be the funniest thing I have seen yet! Awesome job!!

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread