Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Do you think affiliate managers should be affiliates themselves? What are the pros and cons of this? Plus Haiko what do merchants know about us, pertaining to this forum.

My take on this is they should not be affiliates as they have to much data, on what works.

ABW Ambassador
    Since I have no affiliates from "tundra" I'll be happy to step in here.

I have 4 years experience as an affiliate in another very competitive industry.

When someone climbs to the point that it matters on my radar screen, I know everything it is to know about them. We become good friends.

If they do not get on my screen they don't matter.

YES, I'm an animal !

ABW Ambassador
    No. Even though this has been discussed before, it's good to bring it up again. You hit on the reason, you have one competitior that knows every aspect of your business as it pertains to that merchant, your click-through rates, your income, your sucessful techniques & what didn't work. And this competitor knows the same information about every other affiliate. And this competitor is being paid to help you be successful.

Some AMs have said that they don't use this info in running their own business. They may be sincere but it's up to you to decide if you care to believe them.

The appearance of a conflict of interest and the opportunity for abuse is too great for me to sign up for a program that I know the AM is an affiliate. I'd prefer an AM whose full attention is given to making the program and affilliates successful.

Wayne

"If they do not get on my screen they don't matter." Thanks Adam I know now who to not work with.

NorthernStudio, thanks for making it clearer. Aff managers should not be affiliates them selves.

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    It would be easy for me to review our top sites and copy the best features.

My answer would be NO we should not!
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Adam you just ticked me off bigtime. I just reread this thread and what an arrogant bastard you are. Do you have any idea how much money I bring too merchants?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    An AM with an affiliate site is like having a guy deciding to test confetti in the same room where you're trying to sweep the floor.

I figure it like this. EITHER someone is trying to help me succeed, OR they are my competitor.

AMs are supposed to help their affiliates, not add to the amount of competitors that have to be beaten in order to make real money at this. ANY affiliate site is another thing to out-SEO, out-sell, and otherwise compete against--and by definition, that is not a help!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> When someone climbs to the point that it matters on my radar screen, I know everything it is to know about them. We become good friends.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh? And what if the affiliate isn't emotionally needy for friends? Say, for instance, *I* sold a lot of smokes. Would you let my sales through when you couldn't find out anything about me besides what I put on the app and what's in the whois?

Or would my sales mysteriously dry up when it becomes clear that even though business may be good, my friendship isn't for sale?

It sounds like it--how else would it be that someone couldn't appear on your radar until you knew all about them??

I had an affiliate manager that I used to talk to alot about strategies, things that work, etc. Next think you know, he opens a competing coupon site...Needless to say, he got fired from that AM job fast..
    Then he went to work at a Affiliate Software type company. I didn't run any of their programs while he was there that is for sure...
    Now he works with people who set up affilite summits..

What Leader said.

I find this concept of a chinese wall ridiculous when it comes to a knowledge based business.

"Oh sure, I know which of my affiliates are succeeding and which aren't, and I know the differences between them.. but I don't use that to my own advantage."

Rot. Anyone who truly has the ability to turn on and off sections of their brain at will to that level... the medical research and science community would pay squillions to get hold of you.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way

http and a telephoto
    Well, take a look folks, I am pretty sure that every well know aff manager on ABW is an affiliate, maybe not for their own programs, but for someone.

The MERCHANT should not be an affiliate, but is probably going to use affiliate tracking code to measure the success of certain advertising campaigns.

So I don't think that the witch hunt happening in this thread will matter at all, if you don't want to work with an aff manager that is an affiliate, find a different program.

Me, I take the advice offered by the aff managers that have been or are affiliates and are willing to share how to optimize a site and get sales.

But I know this postive post will get buried in the sludge that will pour out from those who carry a grudge against someone or another and choose to spew it here.

Have fun in Vegas talking to those you bash here.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

"witch hunt happening in this thread" please tell me more.

ABW Ambassador
    I personally think it's great to have an AM that knows the affiliates side of things but the line gets crossed when they are an affiliate of programs they manage.

Look at Akiva and some of the other AM's in here who have programs that run pretty smoothly in an ethical way.

It's the AM's who don't have a clue that are happy to do business with a parasite and think they're great!

ABW Ambassador

ABW Ambassador
    What's worse is when an affiliate who is buddy-buddy with an AM manages to manipulate that AM to the detriment of a competing affiliate.

Maybe that is why so many merchant's AMs don't care about the affiliates, because they focus their times on their own sites and don't care about if the merchant/s are associated with parasites or the tracking is infected!

Good AM would not have time to have to be an affiliate, because he will focus on his job as an AM to get his merchant revenue up, instead of wasting his time competing with his own affiliates. And if he or she is really a great AM alot of us will promote him or her which means he gets more chance of making more than trying to work his own affiliates!

But of course I don't know any affiliate manager that is doing this, anybody know?

Should we know who it is so we can make our own decision if we want to promote them or not?

Do you think it's decieving if we don't know if we are associated with Merchant's AM that do affiliate?

Just asking okay!

Now... see some of you to Vegas very very soon!

Peace!

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

Nova you hit the nail on the head. Just how many AM's here are not affiliates themselves?

ABW Ambassador
    &gt;Adam you just ticked me off bigtime. I just reread this thread and what an arrogant bastard you are. Do you have any idea how much money I bring too merchants?

**NO**

tibbs:

I knew that this thread would be interesting and that is why I chose to answer in the manner I did.

As an AM, I choose to deal with affilaites that are able to deal with life as it is on the www at any given time. Beginners with gusto are welcome and whiners are not.

PS: You coming to Vegas?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Nova you hit the nail on the head. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It comes in a blood I guess, My Dad was a Carpenter!

But I do want to know who's affiliate manager is doing their own affiliate thingy!

It just makes me think that this will give us more of the picture about our conversion with our click through with the merchants that their AM is doing affiliate!

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

affiliate managers have the same rights as affiliates. why should they cut there bussiness and lose there business because they decided to become a affiliate manager. affiliate managers should be a experienced affiliate already, and I have no problem with them doing affiliate marketing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> But of course I don't know any affiliate manager that is doing this, anybody know? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't recall the names of many pro AMs doing it, but there's a few who posted in the thread Trust linked to.

The places I did remember offhand did have directly competing sites, either through their owners, AMs, or other staff members. These were GoldenMine, and I remember TigerDirect being called out for running competing affiliate sites (although I don't think it was their new AM, I remember that it was definitely one of their employees being cussed).

Jason: "affiliate managers have the same rights as affiliates"

Quid pro quo, pal.

Perhaps on that basis affiliates should have the same rights as affiliate managers? Perhaps affiliates should know how their fellow affiliates perform as well.. the opportunity to identify who produces the results and how. Really level the playing field.

"As an AM, I choose to deal with affilaites that are able to deal with life as it is on the www at any given time. Beginners with gusto are welcome and whiners are not."

So I am a whiner, just because I ask if AM's are affiliates. Mr Ward you have shown your true colors.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast