Selecting Good Publishers
    Hi Everyone,

I'm a little new at the whole CJ thing so I thought I would bring my questions to the experts of this forum. I tried to do some searches and read around but figured the best way would be to start my own thread.

I'm getting hundreds of publisher applications and am wondering what the best way is to determine publishers who are "good". I've read a lot about avoiding loyalty programs or ones that provide incentives to customers as well as the ones who add toolbars. Can you provide more info on why those are bad and what it does?

Also, how do I figure out which publishers are legit? Is there a list of publishers to avoid?

Lastly, is there anyway to view publisher applications with all their details without having to click on each one? I tried exporting but it only gives the top level information.

Thanks so much for you help!

ABW Ambassador
    Go with CJPs minus loyalty, toolbars and anysite listed under parasites on this board.
    When it comes to non-CJPs, tread carefully case by case - one by one at snail pace!

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    Hi Supert,

It's not always easy to determine who is good as you never know who will actually turn around and follow up with putting links on their site as some people just go thru and apply to every program under the sun hoping to get any one.

You didn't mention how you pay the affiliates or types of offers you have. Things I look for on a pay for sale are different than what I look for on pay for lead. One of my clients is a health niche so things I'm looking for on the websites I review are also different because our industry is heavily regulated. Those things may not be as much of a concern for another program's review process. So as you see, it can vary .

Using your real name and a real avitar and identifying yourself may get you access to the affiliate manager forums where things like this are discussed more in detail. And I think there is already a thread or two in there on this particular topic.

Online Marketing Consultant
    Toolbars and BHOs can be considered bad because they can provide the Affiliate with the ability to steal from you and from your other Affiliates. However not all toolbars are bad and some go from bad to good year after year or even hour to hour.

You'll have to do some research or hire an OPM like me or a few of the others here if you want a better chance at getting Toolbars and Adware under control and not have to study. However, not all OPMs will actually help search and remove parasites, even though they say they will, so be cautious when selecting. The other company you may want to work with is AffiliateFairPlay.com. Kellie is above and beyond the expert when it comes to Affiliates and Adware. You may also want to read the Parasite forum here, but again, not all of the ones there are bad anymore and not all of the ones listed there may be good still. You'll have to study what to look for and test them all yourself. No one can catch all of them, but hiring someone with knowledge or studying will get you a lot closer to a clean program.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

yes, blocking parasites and bad guys is easier than selecting the good ones.

The good ones are not selected by you,
    it is they select you, this is pay for performance game.

and don't block/filter sites based on affiliate physical address.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redtagdeals
    Go with CJPs minus loyalty, toolbars and anysite listed under parasites on this board.
    When it comes to non-CJPs, tread carefully case by case - one by one at snail pace!
    It would be a big mistake to limit CJ affiliates to only CJPs. You would be eliminating thousands of great affiliate who do not do enough business through CJ merchants to be in such an elite (did I mention snob-ridden) group. This is especially true of affiliates who have embraced other more affiliate-friendly networks as their first choice, but who still join good-looking merchant programs that happen to be on CJ.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Is there really any reason to "reject" any publisher? Isn't it easier to approve everyone and then just keep an eye on things?

This has been my approach on the merchant side. Is this flawed?

What if your program has 5,000 publishers. Do you think it would be possible to keep your eye on all of them?

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

>> What if your program has 5,000 publishers. Do you think it would be possible to keep your eye on all of them?

i am fan of XXX facebook pages
    i connected to XXXX people on Facebook,
    i don't need to keep an eye on all of them.

I'd only need to keep an eye on sales and clicks, I think. 99% of my publishers hardly do any clicks. But I hear what you're saying at 5K it gets difficult.

As a publisher though, with 1K partners, keeping them updated and current is a pain the a$$.

Your approval approach should be based on your offer and what you're selling.

When we manage a program that has products or services with a broad appeal, like common consumer goods, the big question we ask is "Why not?". If the product or service can be promoted on most sites we're looking more for sites that are not a good fit or why not approve them.

Reasons to not approve include parasites, toolbars and fraudulent apps or sites outside of the servicing area. If you can only deliver to U.S. customers, a site in China probably isn't a good fit. If the applicant's information doesn't match up, there's usually a reason for that (in a bad way).

Does the domain name whois match the applicant? Do you want your products or services promoted on that site?

For our lead programs, the main then becomes "Why?". If our client is paying for only a lead, where they don't collect any money, we're much more selective. Some countries are a bad choice for lead campaigns since they can submit their own leads all day long.

There's more that I won't reveal here so if you want to go over this on the phone, for free, just give me a call. I've processed many thousands of CJ apps and have a pretty handle on it now.

Letting everyone in with a plan to watch them is a huge mistake IMO. Again, ask yourself "Do I want them promoting/representing my company?". If you don't care, auto approve everyone. If you do care, review those apps.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Thanks everyone.

We are selling products and we are offering a % of sales.

How do we identify the parasites, toolbars, etc.? How can we tell by their URL if they are good or not?

I've read about many different perspectives on accepting all publishers or just selecting, but some of them are difficult to gauge especially since they don't have much information.

What do you think about coupon sites? Can this damage your reputation?

Curious, what do you have against coupon sites?

Parasites are usually incentive sites. Not always but usually. Same with toolbar affiliates but there are also some coupon sites using toolbars. Check out their site. If they offer toolbars they usually (but not always) promote it on their site. They want as many people as possible download and install their toolbar so they usually don't hide it. You can also state in your terms about such affiliates. On CJ, incent sites should state they're an incent site.

You won't catch 100% of the bad guys, you're trying to limit your exposure to risk. Any affiliate has the potential to damage your reputation and I don't think coupon sites are any more of risk than other sites. Having coupon affiliates is a whole other discussion so I'll just say this: What are your competitors doing? If they're using coupons, then you are at a disadvantage if you don't IMO.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

I don't have anything against coupon sites, I'm just trying to get everyone's perspective.

ABW Ambassador
    affiliatehound, I did not say eliminate non-CJPs. That would be a mistake if you understood that way. I mentioned that to get the max bang quickly, consider CJPs first (minus the parasites listed under ABW) and consider others on a case by case.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by supert
    I don't have anything against coupon sites, I'm just trying to get everyone's perspective.
    As you should -

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Sorry what does CJP stand for? Commission Junction P...publishers?

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by supert
    Sorry what does CJP stand for? Commission Junction P...publishers?
    CJ Performer - affiliates that make $10,000/month in commissions from CJ merchants.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

>> What are your competitors doing? If they're using coupons, then you are at a disadvantage if you don't IMO.

Is it depends on actual/final price the consumers need to pay for that product?

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread