Question on the True Source of Google Image Traffic
    After all the reading and ranting I do about utilizing analytics, it dawned on me just now that I can't answer this simple question....

If a visit is credited to Google Images, is it always from the Images section of Google, meaning the special image search portion, or can it come from the image results buried within the Web SERPs?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

In my GA if traffic says it came from google (images) it is from the special image search portion only.

If an image popped up in the regular SERPs, it will be shown as just coming from plain ol' google and will usually show the keywords that made the image pop up in the SERPs.

Little off topic but... if your using images to drive some extra traffic, don't. Things might be changing. People won't have to come to your site for the image much longer. http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/021606.html

Not off topic at all, Mack. In fact, it's the logical extension of my question. I feel a visitor coming from the true SERPs, even if it was from clicking on an image, has more value than one specifically looking for pictures.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    Little off topic but... if your using images to drive some extra traffic, don't. Things might be changing. People won't have to come to your site for the image much longer. http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/021606.html
    I read that the other day on WMW.

If Google starts doing it in the US, I will have to do something to stop this.

First it is copyright infringement. What are they thinking?

Perhaps I'll only post teaser images with big ugly watermarks. Big words that says "click through for more images" and my website addy.

If that entices visitors to click through there will be more images posted, perhaps in Flash or images in directory that is disallowed by Google.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    People won't have to come to your site for the image much longer.
    In a roundabout way I found a possible solution to this.

Since google first shows the image in an iframe, just break out of the iframe and show your site. This way it does not allow the user to see the full image or thumbnail image but forces them right onto your site.

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
if (top.location != self.location) top.location.replace(self.location);
</script>
    I have implemented this today and will see if that does anything with my traffic. Code works so far but I would like it to break the iframe with faster speed.

edit: I have to add the reason I found this is because I found out that my site has been iframed (for images) so trying to find solution to break out of iframe sites.

I don't see the point of a scroller from a user standpoint. It just seems like you'd waste so much time loading images that weren't what you were looking for at all. I like my thumbnails dangit!

most of visitors land on your site when they search images for himself work and land your site and copy the image.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread