Overwhelmed
    Just my own rant thread if you allow... you know as woman's usually do chit chat and after talking the problems solves itself somehow.

I am overwhelmed with ideas and things to do, and this always happens when I am up to start some new sites.
    The ideas are boiling in my head,but I still didn't found the beginning point

As I get closer and closer I get more nervous... after starting from "somewhere" the work will go just fine... I have a few days to finish my actual project soo getting very nervous on the new one

anybody have the same feelings?

BTW do any of you saw The Tale Of Two Brains ?

Too many people fall into the trap of starting new websites all the time, instead of following through on an idea all the way to the end.

It only takes one good website to make you a millionaire..

Imagine yourself at a party and an acquaintance asks what you are working on. How would you answer in that informal situation? That response might be a good place to start. After all, it seems like you almost know WHAT you want to do - just not sure where to BEGIN.

I also tend to agree with IAmMe - up to a point (because I have never been one to put all my eggs in one basket). I have been doing this for over ten years and have a small stable of productive "larger" sites and a slew of small sites (micro-sites, as a friend calls them).

If ideas/possibilities really are roiling and boiling in your head, which one seems to be rising to the top? There ya go - get started - with SOMETHING - you can always go back and clean up the beginning. Soooo...

"It was a dark and stormy night..."
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Your post made me chuckle.. and as I sit here trying to fall asleep after pulling an all-nighter, I'm compelled to reply..

It's all those ideas that will make you a good affiliate marketer.. and to answer your question, no, they never stop. Ever.

But that's one of the ingredients needed to succeed in this wacky biz. It's still a little like the wild west. Just stay focused on YOUR ideas for the time being... it's very easy to get side-tracked when you see another site doing something similar, or a merchant that you think would be a good fit.

When I go through these moments, I pull out the ol' whiteboard - list the items in point form, then leave the whiteboard sitting opposite me as a reminder. You need to spend a few minutes listing the tasks needed to complete the first project - and I don't consider content a task, for me that's site maintenance.

I've given up on task/scheduling apps, as they take away from my "doing".

You will also just have to learn to live with the voices in your head!!!

Good luck... (from another of the female persuasion who does this full-time now!)

Bill you have it right

"know WHAT you want to do - just not sure where to BEGIN." I see the end result I want, and I also know I can do it. Most of the "how to do it" is also known, I just need to grab that "I will start from here" point.

Sort of I am currently on the "paper" phase. Putting all together, and making the to do list for it.

IAmMe you have right on that, one site can make you millionaire, but... I don't consider myself a genius, nor that lucky so my site would be that ONE. I have a chance but let's face it... its like winning the lottery.
    This is why I prefer to have my own smaller sites, that make me money on a regular basis, and if one is so lucky to be a big fish... I will be happy, if not... I still have a living.

teezone thank you very much thank you for taking the time to answer its good to see I am not alone with the voices LOL

Voices? Happens to us guys, too, y'know. Sometimes I hear a voice named James calling me...

Or, is that Jameson?
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Having new ideas for your sites is always great. Write them down as soon as they come to you, and try to implement them all - even if you don't think they will make you a lot of money. I've had ideas that I thought were just so so, but implemented them anyways to see what kind of reaction I would get, and got blown away. Other ideas I think are going to be the next best thing since sliced bread and not many people give it a second look.

So try to implement all your ideas, because you never know which ones are going to work well, and which ones are going to tank.

http and a telephoto
    I have ..... 1, 2, 3, 4... *7* whiteboards in my office (just bought 2 more this week) and they are filled with Client tasks, my own website tasks, podcast ideas, and more. I have *1* whiteboard that has the outline of what I need to do *today* so that I can be a little organized but still be able to accomodate the "fires" and phone calls that pop up.

Make a little roadmap for yourself... This is what I need to do before I can do that... then take it a step at a time.

My son was a writer and he said to me one day "When I have ideas for the next script or story, should I stop what I am doing and write it down, or should I ignore it and finish what I am doing?" My answer, that worked for him, was to stop and write a bit about the idea, put it in a folder called "Future Projects" and then your head will clear enough to go back to what you were working on.

You many never get to that "Future Project", but it has been taken out of your head and put down so that you can continue down the path to finish that first project.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by kittyaddict
    Just my own rant thread if you allow... you know as woman's usually do chit chat and after talking the problems solves itself somehow.

I am overwhelmed with ideas and things to do, and this always happens when I am up to start some new sites.
    The ideas are boiling in my head,but I still didn't found the beginning point

As I get closer and closer I get more nervous... after starting from "somewhere" the work will go just fine... I have a few days to finish my actual project soo getting very nervous on the new one

anybody have the same feelings?

BTW do any of you saw The Tale Of Two Brains ?

Hey Kitty,

I understand the feeling of being overwhelmed and confused what direction to go when there is an ocean of different ways to make money.

As a suggestion, please tell us people in the forum what you are doing, so that people can then give you specific directions where to go or who you should talk to get help. Because what you wrote on the post, it's very vague and unclear what you want to do.

In addition, set goals and set timelines.

Life is good and you will make it happen. Just ask for help with specific questions and the doors will open for where you want to go.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    put it in a folder called "Future Projects" and then your head will clear enough to go back to what you were working on.

You many never get to that "Future Project", but it has been taken out of your head and put down so that you can continue down the path to finish that first project.
    I will have to try this. Not staying focused on my current project, allowing myself to get sidetracked, is my biggest stumbling block.

The writing down is a very good idea. I have a notebook I write everything down. Sometimes I am amazed myself to see what ideas I had.. and yeah maybe not all of them will become something, but some of them do...

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Kitty, *ideas* are what make us do what we do and what makes us successful. You'd be surprised by the amount of people who don't have *ideas* - the ones who systimatically leach off of other people's *good ideas.*

Yes, write all your ideas down, keep it sacred, don't share them with anyone. Sounds like paranoia but creative thought has been ripped off forever and will continue to be ripped off. People with good creative ideas are rare. Embrace your ability to think those creative thoughts and turn them into substance.

When the time is right for one of those ideas to manifest, you'll know it. Then start work on that one, while maintaining what you already have. It's not easy and entails a lot of work but it's worth it.

And yeah, overwhelm is an understatement when you've got a dozen or more ideas all flying at you at once. That's when it's time to outsource some of the work so you can develop all of them.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I'm a big believer in starting with lots of ideas and projects and then focusing on what works.

I gained a lot of knowledge from having a ton of sites, but it spread my efforts pretty thin. Now that I have a better idea of what works (with a lot of trial and error testing to back it up) I am trying to convince myself it is time to pull back on the number of projects I have and focus on the ones that have the best chance for continued success.

A lot of the things I wrote down on paper or thought about as I fell asleep each night ended up being wrong. The best way to develop ideas on the web is to dive in and start testing the ideas and collecting analytics data. Test, make changes, test, add content, test, repeat until something works.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

Some very wise words in here...

kittyaddict, I can really relate to you. Although I have a site that I'm an affiliate for, I've never "built a site," so my mind is a mass of confusion. But I told my son today that I can do anything I put my mind to doing. And the advice about not giving up your secrets (from Rexanne) is good advice. My dad always told me to keep my ammunition in my pocket. Good luck to both of us.

Some smart people told... if children were like adults, nobody would have learned to walk. All of us would have given up after the first few fall downs, and say: "oh I can't do that, I failed". I usually try to think this way If I fail, than that's a very important lesson to: this is how NOT to do

dcangel13, Rexanne keeping the good ideas for ourselves is indeed a good advice.I saw it with my own eyes how some folks on some other board helped newbies just to realize their sites were copied word by word, ideas stolen and loosing money because of being nice.

I have found that by focusing on one thing (SEO, working on appearance and layout...) a day is the best way to develop soem momentum. Once you have done this over a few weeks you will notice some real progress and feel a lot better about things.

what worked well for me was the "daily to do lists"
    usually made one for the whole day, but I made it flexible. This way I didn't hade that strange feeling that I lost my freedom, the thing I love best about being an affiliate.

My to do list contained both fun items (like walking the dog, workout, cooking, watering the flowers, shopping etc), both easy tasks and some bigger ones.
    I made the list a day before, and gave myself the freedom to start with whatever suits for the moment. With the list on my side I didn't forgot what I have to do, and managed to keep me on track! I also added a few blank rows, for the "unexpected"

I need to make this to do list come back in my life

I just checked the old ones and I am amazed how much I worked when I had it!

I had to work on one of my sites for 6 months before it actually achieved any success. The days of being lazy are far over and much work is needed to be successful these days in the affiliate space

I always find great topics to write/blog about, but when I actually sit down to write the articles, my head is empty. So, I've taken to keeping a small notebook with me and writing ideas down as they come to me, sometimes even writing outlines or complete drafts of articles.

I have a million ideas. Some I let percolate for a while, some I dive into right away. And then there are my main/established sites that I'm continuously working on and the work is never done.

I'm not overly organized because I like flexibility. If I start working on one site and I'm just not feeling it, I jump to another simply so I'll get SOMETHING done and not get discouraged. Quite often, I'll identify tasks that need to be done across a lot of my sites (i.e. datafeed updates, posting about new coupons or items, etc). That way I'll get some variety in topic, but doing the same task.

I have recently identified a handful of unfinished sites that I've started that I'd like to finish. Ironically, I ran across the following quote the other day and it has inspired me.

"The end of a matter is better than its beginning,
    and patience is better than pride. "

So, I'm making finishing these sites a priority before I start new ones.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Good morning everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend!

Some time ago I used to work on weekends to, but I realized it is much more important to "lose" 2 days (that's what I thought), and relax, have fun, and start it over on Monday, than work in weekends too and starting the week already bored.

Do you work on weekends?

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread