adding products to your site automatically
    Hi
    I'm still relatively new, so forgive me if i ask the impossible.
    I've created a blog using wordpress, and I wonder if there is a tool or product out there, that creates posts (not little rss lists) of updates on products, sale prices etc.. and publishes them automatically to your site, for your CJ affiliate links.
    Currently , if i see a good deal, i can post it, and perhaps earn some affiliate bucks, but what happens, if i am not at my desk, or worse still, sleeping.

I would appreciate any help on this ,

hi, does anyone have some time to look over my question, or suggest something i could use?
    I've searched the wordpress plugin repository and only found one component thats not been supported for 2 years, i've found a couple of plugins that are not on wordpress plugin directory, look like a small user base, and frankly, not mentioned in these forums, so i am not so trusting
    Has anyone used something that actually works and they can approve?

Thank you

ABW Ambassador
    Learn how to use PHP, and then automate everything. Lots of information on this forum, do some searching

I'm not clear on exactly what your asking. Do you want to have a post saying that product x has been updated with a new price everytime it is, or do you want to be able to update product x automatically?

If it's the first, then I don't know any software available for that, but I'm sure you could probably hire a programmer to do that task.

If it's the second, look into datafeeds and learn PHP. You could also look into Popshops.

I'm not aware of a tool that will do exactly what you want. What you've described is basically a tool that would "generate thin-affiliate blog posts" (and "thin-affiliate" is a Bad Thing, because Google & other SEs will likely penalize and exclude your content from search results). I think someone has mentioned (on ABW) some kind of plug-in for WordPress that would create blog entries for every product in a datafeed, but I'm not really sure why you'd want it -- most important, it would generate pages but never update them. There are also some "coupon and discount" services (most notably, ForMeToCoupon) that provide feeds of coupon content.

I'll assume that you don't want to work on PHP code to manage datafeed content, but instead you're looking for a plug-in that's very flexible and dynamic. I also assume that you don't want "stale content" to persist on your site -- for example, if Merchant X offers a 20% discount on widgets until February 21, you'd want that post to vanish after February 21.

You should certainly look at the services offered by PopShops, GoldenCAN, and Datafeedr -- each allows you to select and display products on your site, with some automation of updates (pricing, availability) but not fully automated addition or substitution of products from other merchants. You might be able to accomplish some of your goals using the PopShops "Data Pack API" but that would require some programming work, and I'm still not sure if it would meet your needs.

It sounds like you MIGHT want the same thing I want: a plug-in or widget that you'd insert into your web page, with specific fields or parameters used to identify the search query, merchants to include or exclude, and display specs (sequence, fields). Nobody offers it. I've tried to build it for myself several times, without success (summary).

Quote Originally Posted by Lanadili
    I'm not clear on exactly what your asking. Do you want to have a post saying that product x has been updated with a new price everytime it is, or do you want to be able to update product x automatically?

If it's the first, then I don't know any software available for that, but I'm sure you could probably hire a programmer to do that task.

If it's the second, look into datafeeds and learn PHP. You could also look into Popshops.
    ok, thank you for taking the time to respond
    Its not like i am lazy or anything, and i know a successful affiliate site needs to have a "live in Gardner" tending to it, but is every site that features deals, say an electronics/camera/laptop blog, that has a latest deals section, updated manually every hour, and every day, as and when the merchants cut their prices and put their items up for sale, or is there a way to have a new post created somewhat automatically, when a deal you specify (e.g Canon sd 1200 Camera) goes on sale with any of your merchants.
    Of course rss can do it, on a side panel, but as a post in the middle of the page? with images? and tailored to your specification?

Thank you for any help you can provide

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    I'm not aware of a tool that will do exactly what you want.

I'll assume that you don't want to work on PHP code to manage datafeed content, but instead you're looking for a plug-in that's very flexible and dynamic.

You should certainly look at the services offered by PopShops, GoldenCAN, and Datafeedr -- each allows you to select and display products on your site, with some automation of updates (pricing, availability) but not fully automated addition or substitution of products from other merchants. You might be able to accomplish your goals using the PopShops "Data Pack API" but that would require some programming work, and I'm still not sure if it would meet your needs.

It sounds like you want the same thing I want: a plug-in or widget that you'd insert into your web page, with specific fields or parameters used to identify the search query, merchants to include or exclude, and display specs (sequence, fields). Nobody offers it. I've tried to build it for myself several times, without success (summary).
    yeah, you're famous Mark, I've actually read your posts and laments, But I did not realize that my requests, matched some of your efforts!
    I am humbled that you took the time to respond!

Quote Originally Posted by shinbet
    ok, thank you for taking the time to respond
    Its not like i am lazy or anything, and i know a successful affiliate site needs to have a "live in Gardner" tending to it, but is every site that features deals, say an electronics/camera/laptop blog, that has a latest deals section, updated manually every hour, and every day, as and when the merchants cut their prices and put their items up for sale, or is there a way to have a new post created somewhat automatically, when a deal you specify (e.g Canon sd 1200 Camera) goes on sale with any of your merchants.
    Of course rss can do it, on a side panel, but as a post in the middle of the page? with images? and tailored to your specification?

Thank you for any help you can provide
    Anything is possible if you can find a good programmer. I wanted something similar for my own site because the datafeeds didn't have all the information I needed. So I went over to Guru.com and posted a project with specs of what I wanted. After talking with several programmers, I hired one that was affordable and very talented. Now my whole site is automated - every hour - without me doing anything. Although it didn't start out like that, I took baby steps with my programmer asking if he could do this, then that, then this, etc. until literally I didn't have to touch anything and my site would update itself when needed.

Hope this helps.

Anything is possible if you can find a good programmer. I wanted something similar for my own site because the datafeeds didn't have all the information I needed. So I went over to Guru.com and posted a project with specs of what I wanted. After talking with several programmers, I hired one that was affordable and very talented. Now my whole site is automated - every hour - without me doing anything. Although it didn't start out like that, I took baby steps with my programmer asking if he could do this, then that, then this, etc. until literally I didn't have to touch anything and my site would update itself when needed.

Hope this helps.
    hmm, i was hoping your blog was in your signature, because i would like to take a look and know more,
    Are you allowed to post the url info?

I'd rather not post it in a public forum. Meet me in the chat room and we'll talk more there if you want.

I'd rather not post it in a public forum. Meet me in the chat room and we'll talk more there if you want.
    oh, i just saw your message now, i guess i missed you, hopefully another time

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread