Someone squatting on one of our old sites
    With things looking a little bad on our end, see our post at http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=129018, we decided we would go back to what got us started in affiliate marketing years ago. We had a Sports Card store on the Beckett Marketplace which is the sports card industry leader in sports card pricing. When we first started our sports cards site on Beckett, we also had a website with a url for our sports card store with redirects to our store on Beckett as well as other information on sports card collecting. We had some Google adsense on it and our first affiliate relationship was with MLB on CJ. I enjoyed affiliate marketing so much that I sort of neglected the sports cards. We had this sports card web site from 2002 to 2008 and decided to drop it and the Beckett store and concentrate on affiliate marketing.

In December 2009 I decided to reopen the Beckett store as I needed a way to move the 1,000,000 cards I have as opposed to giving them away on eBay. My Beckett store went back into action on 01/01/2010.

So today I decide to reactivate our website url only to find that someone registered it in their name in early 2009. I sent an e-mail to this person and told them that we are the registered owner of the name and provided a link to the State of Louisiana site showing we registered the name in 2002 and had rights to it till 2015. I asked them to stop using the name as right know the site has a simple PPC set up for sports cards. They are now demanding $1000 from me for the name.

So I guess the morale of the story is to never let any domain name expire unless you know for sure you are never going to use it.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    With your paperwork you could always use a lawyer to draw up a letter if the document has any legal value. Probably cost your a few hundred bucks though. Might be easier to offer up a lower price and see if they bite.

Agreed. Our lawyer once advised us that a few hundred dollars would be cheaper than anything they could do.

I don't know about your local laws, but you might have a hard time making them give it up based on something in Louisiana. If you had a federal trademark, then you might have some ammunition.

In this case I think you should make a "reasonable" offer and see if you can just buy it - or choose another name and ignore it.
    Brad Waller | VP, Business and Affiliate Development
    EPage.com

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >We had this sports card web site from 2002 to 2008 and decided to drop it and the
    >Beckett store and concentrate on affiliate marketing.

OK, so you yourself make a business decision to abandon the name.

Then later you change your mind and you think you have a legal remedy (let alone an ethical one) to demand the name back from the new owner?

So if I have a pizza shop in the middle of town and abandon it and go back to my chicken sexing hobby, and someone else rents the same shop and start (horror) a pizza shop, I can go back a few years later and demand they transfer the lease to me?

(removed)
    Last edited by loxly; February 5th, 2010 at 12:31 AM. Reason: removed unnecessary attack

There are many people out there just waiting to grab domain names when they expire. Some even wait and watch right down to the wire and if you don't register it they pounce on it. Sad but they say, You Snooze You Lose!
    Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbert
    >We had this sports card web site from 2002 to 2008 and decided to drop it and the
    >Beckett store and concentrate on affiliate marketing.

OK, so you yourself make a business decision to abandon the name.

Then later you change your mind and you think you have a legal remedy (let alone an ethical one) to demand the name back from the new owner?

So if I have a pizza shop in the middle of town and abandon it and go back to my chicken sexing hobby, and someone else rents the same shop and start (horror) a pizza shop, I can go back a few years later and demand they transfer the lease to me?
    I still own the name. I have it registered until 2015. Did they reopen your pizza shop with the same name. Did you own the name.

I just received an e-mail from the person who has it indicating that they bought it at auction and will let the name expire. However, they have it till 2011. I have offered to pay for the transfer of the name.
    Last edited by loxly; February 5th, 2010 at 11:27 AM.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by boningroup
    I still own the name. I have it registered until 2015.
    Obviously you don't.

Not sure I understand why you are miffed. You choose to abandon the business and name. I would think that for $8 a year you would have held on to it if the store was successful and there was a possiblity you might want to return to it.

Quote Originally Posted by mailman
    Sad but they say, You Snooze You Lose!
    Why is it sad that someone wants to capitalize on expired domain names? You have the same feeling about people that buy foreclosure properties?

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    I still own the name. I have it registered until 2015. Did they reopen your pizza shop with the same name. Did you own the name. Commie Pinko??? What??

I just received an e-mail from the person who has it indicating that they bought it at auction and will let the name expire. However, they have it till 2011. I have offered to pay for the transfer of the name.
    Good answer to a rough question....

If you still own it, then you freaking still OWN it...

Sounds like you've got it worked out...

That's a good thing...

BTW! We all need to remember that if a URL is making you a nickel more than it costs you....

Keep it up to date.....

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

ABW Ambassador
    So you let the domain expire but

"State of Louisiana site showing we registered the name in 2002 and had rights to it till 2015"

What is that? Registered and rights?

the morale of the story is to never let any domain name expire unless you know for sure you are never going to use it.
    You weren't using the domain. You let it expire. Somebody else bought it. That's the way the system works. If nobody was allowed to buy an expired domain because the previous owner might want to use it later, there wouldn't be any domains left.

John

Having a business name registered in a state is something else than having a domain name that you own.

Having a business name in a state does not automatically give you rights to the domain name.

Two different things.

If they agree to let it expire in 2011 and if it's a good name with lots of backlinks (worthy ones like dmoz) I'd take it.

Actually I'm dealing with an abusive domain registration myself at the moment through lawyers rather than through the UDRP process because it's cheaper..

..but ultimately UDRP (Google it) is the ultimate sanction. The problem is that it will cost you probablty at least $2000 with no guarantee of winning.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Why not just get a new domain name that is similiar to the one you had instead of going through all of this hassel.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I'm with BurgerBoy on this one. I suspect you should be able to find a very similar name available, then use that name to set up what you did with the other and link it to Beckett.

Of course, don't assume I know anything that I'm talking about here. I'm easily confused on the whole matter. I don't understand how you could have the domain registered, let the registration of the domain expire, and still have some sort of registration rights to it via some document in Louisiana.

(I also want to make this clear: Unless they're doing major, thriving business with it, I think it's very VERY low-class and nasty of the people who have the domain registered now not to make you a reasonable deal for it.)
    Generate more fake news.

ABW Ambassador
    From the title of the thread, I don't believe this can be called squatting unless the domain name was/is a well known national brand.

When you let the domain name expire(the name of which is registered to you in a state), your expectation was

1. Nobody will buy the domain name since you have the name registered in a state.
    Or
    2. If someone buys the domain, they will give it back to you if and when you ask, at the regular new domain price ($8 - $15).

I still own the name. I have it registered until 2015.
    Unless you registered a trademark, registering a business with a state means nothing. There can be 20 "Vinny's Pizza Shop"s in 20 different states, and a single one can't demand vinnyspizzashop.com just since they have their name registered as a company name with a state.

I think the whole point I was really trying to make is don't let your url expire. I was just surprised, I don't know why, that someone would want that url. I have made to offer to get it back. If I can't at a reasonable price will set up a different url and go from there.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

I think the whole point I was really trying to make is don't let your url expire. I was just surprised, I don't know why, that someone would want that url. I have made to offer to get it back. If I can't at a reasonable price will set up a different url and go from there.
    I look for expired domains to buy all the time. Anything that might have traffic, or might be redirectable to hopefully pass on linkjuice is worth snatching up. If it has traffic and I could throw up a parking page, it doesn't take many clicks on parking page ads (which can actually convert well for advertisers in the same industry as the old expired domain, causing higher bids) to make up the cheap domain price.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    The term "reactivate" does not apply at all. If you have a domain and want it ever you need to keep it up to date.

People use automated systems to look for sites with links that are about to drop and figure out which backorder service to use to get them.

And this is the worldwide web. What if some Chinese registar registered the name and it is hosted in Russia. Do you think they care what LA says? And evn if they are not using privacy and are in the USA, Internet people are very difficult to serve papers to.

There is a reason Internet and International Lawyers are expensive. It is a mess and difficult. Try to avoid the difficulty.

http and a telephoto
    Drewbert, check your PMs.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Drewbert, check your PMs.

That doesn't sound good ~

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread