Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Anybody Understand this?

I just found out from Andy that my links are coming back to him as error 404. Something about my pages being in upper-lower case and him tracking on lower case. (i.e. About_Time.htm) vs (about_time.htm). Well, all my pages are upper and lower case - 99% of over 600 mg of pages. He is tracking clicks from my sites; but, only from "dead links?"???

I have to assume this is a problem I'm having with everyone not just my friend Andy - I just didn't know it.

Does anyone have a clue what the problem could be? A server thing or what? If there is something I have to fix - I'd like to get started right away. I need every dime I can get and no time to waste.

Andy will look into the problem for me; but, in the mean time if anyone is familiar with this problem - please let me know what the fix is.

I tried to explain this the best I understand it.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure if this applies in your case,but here is a source concerning case sensitive servers. Here is a clip from there:

Troubleshooting FAQs - I uploaded my files, but none of my links work (broken links)
    A broken link means the server can't find the page you've designated in your link. The two most common causes of this error are:

--The most common cause of broken links is case sensitivity issues. Our servers are case sensitive. That means that when they look at text an upper case letter (capital) and a lower case letter are two different characters. To our server a and A are two different things. So, if your filename is MyPage.html and you created your hyperlink to refer to mypage.html the server won't find it. Check the values in your links against your page names to be sure the case matches. You may want to get in the habit of naming your pages in all lower case all the time. Then you know what to use when you specify your links.

The source is here

Thank Dirk for the information.

OMG I hope this doesn't mean what I think it means...

Still all my links work - everything links to each other just fine. No broken links going from page to page or site A to site B.

So, I also don't know if this correctly addresses my problem or not.

But, I am not going to sleep well tonight.

Thanks for the information though - I just hope that is not the issue. Oh God please make that not the issue!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    So true. NT servers are "case" sensitive so even images picture.JPG and picture.jpg are treated as 2 files. Make sure you always name domains, HTML pages, pictures all in lower case. Unix servers ignor this.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Guam,

Unix servers are case sensitive in the file names. From what you are saying, it sounds like you are ok on your own pages. And your actual pages shouldn't have anything to do with Andy tracking.

Could you post an example of one of your links to Andy? I think I may understand what may be happening, but need to see an example of what your links to Andy are looking like. Just "xxxx" your aff id in the link.

I'm on Unix/Linux Mike and have to deal with that case sensitive thing.

Also Guam..what happens when you click through one of your links? Do you get to the Merchant's site ok without a 404 error?

Trying to understand what the problem is.

Ok, this is an example of the link coming from my site.

http://jdsguam.com/DiscountMart/King...ibur_Sword.htm

Of course there are underlines between the words.

John

This is an example of one of my buy now links off a similar page

http://www.intrepid-affiliates.com/u...fonfre-50.html

John

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    John,

And what is coming in is this:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Actual URLs (does not include all clicks):
    4 click(s) from http://jdsguam.com/discountmart/king..._excalibur_s...
    2 click(s) from http://jdsguam.com/discountmart/faux...set_-_3_piec...
    1 click(s) from http://jdsguam.com/discountmart/medieval_swords.htm
    1 click(s) from http://jdsguam.com/discountmart/scen..._-_rose_scen...
    1 click(s) from http://jdsguam.com/seentv/for_your_phone.htm
    1 click(s) from http://jdsguam.com/seentv/girls_gone...ideo_set_-_c...
    1 click(s) from http://jdsguam.com/seentv/kaboom_sho..._and_tile_cl... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

** posted URL's only because site was already revealed by John in earlier post above.
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Ms. B: Yes, I can click through to any of the merchants just fine. And I can click through to any one of my internal pages just fine as well. Page to page - Site to site - and site to merchant.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    John,

From my end everything is clicking through to merchants and from link to link with no problem or 404.

Well, because of info from Dirk and others on server issues, perhaps you might just want to start making everything "lower case" from now on just incase. I would not worry yet on the 600mg you have now, if not you might go crazy. Just for your next ones make everything lower case.

Jorge

Jorge - Ms B. - Andy: I appreciate the help here. I am also conversing with my server people right now as well.

Jorge - I have both of my websites FULL of pages. No more room on either. 330 mg each.

I am feeling very ill.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jrami:
    perhaps you might just want to start making everything "lower case" from now on just incase. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suggest all lower case for all url's, however you can do iether as long as you keep the format. You get into trouble when you mix the two (a) (A) and then you forget how code the rest of the links.

John, i'm getting your clicks, in fact a spike due to the posting here, we have real time reporting, but i will do a little more digging with KB on Monday. I have access to logs that may reveal click streams....

Have a great weekend all, off to work on new office...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

I see something that doesn't seem right as it never happened to me before.

Here is what I see and maybe you can run with it.

I copied your source code into dreamweaver viewing both design and code view . On some of your links that I highlight in the view mode doesn't highlight the full text in the code view.

Example: I highlight your Engine Treatment link on the following page http://www.tvproducts4less.com/automobile.html and I get this highlighted in the code view Treatment&lt;/a&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;i

Most of your links in that table do that. Something wrong there I think.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Yes, I can click through to any of the merchants just fine. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the important thing.

It looks like you are tracking for Andy. It's just the referring URL he is getting for the click isn't registering correctly for him (ie all lower case instead of Upper and lower case). So when he clicks on the referrer link in his stats, he is getting a 404 (since they are all in lower case and you are on a case sensitive server).

It seems it is in issue with KB in how they are presenting the referral URL's.

I'm seeing your tracking cookie set. And that's the really important one. Don't feel ill or not sleep or it. It looks like even though Andy is getting an incorrect URL for where the click came from, you are tracking.

Might be how it is written as I just converted it to xhtml and its not doing what I mentioned above.

Dirk: I just opened my seenontv index and even the engine treatment pages in Dreamweaver; but, I don't see any errors. Sure don't see what your seeing.

John

I am seeing what I normally don't see from your source code when I build my pages. Doesn't mean that is the problem. It just hit me in the face and I check a few source codes from my other pages just now and the text always is highlighted for me in both views.

Might be one of those gremlins. Anyway, Good Luck!

Dirk: The page code you list above is not my site - wish I could code that good.

Looks like that page is As Seen on Tv - not one of mine.

But, thanks - hopefully this is an issue with KB (whoever that is) and I can relax a little. My only concern is if all the other merchants I link to are having the same results with the referring link.

Ms. B: Thanks for the comforting words... it's past 2:30 in the morning here - so I'll try to relax (sleep!?!) and hope to get some positive feedback from Andy and (KB)?

ROFL.... Explains why I never saw what I saw before. I can't code that good either.

Wonder how I got there....

KB = Kowabunga The company that does the affiliate tracking software for the merchant.

I'm not sure if this helps or not but I use CuteFTP Pro which has a box I can check to force lower case on file names sent out to the server.

BS why can the merchate not track it. It does not matter upper-lower case. If you send a click it is an click through and no amount of spin can change that.

Tibbs: The best of my understanding is that the click is tracked - but, I can not receive any credit for a sale; because when the software looks for the referring url, it receives an error 404. So no sale.

That is why this was brought up in the first place. I had a sale (my own family) but no credit for the sale. That caused me to inquire about this in the first place.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast