View data feeds
    Who has a site with data feeds set up? I would like to view a site with data feeds just to see how they appear on a site. Thanks.

Go to any merchant's site. They are all datafeed sites.

The sites in my signature are datafeed sites.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

A site using datafeeds does not inherently have a certain "look". It's not datafeeds that appear on a site, it's the products.

How the site is programmed/designed is what determines what if will look like the site visitor sees a product display on the browser. The browser does not care whether the product data came from a datafeed or each product image and info was hard coded individually.

Best regards,

Carlos

The site in my sig file has a section using datafeeds, or a page, I should say. But like BurgerBoy and gato have said, there are all sorts of ways to use datafeeds and all sorts of ways to make them "look."
    Generate more fake news.

http and a telephoto
    A datafeed is a product catalog and what you do with that product catalog should be different than what anyone else would do with that same product catalog. An excellent thread with information on how to use datafeeds in a site is:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=60200
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks for replys. I'll need more help once I get approved for the feeds. Thanks again.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Hammer
    Thanks for replys. I'll need more help once I get approved for the feeds. Thanks again.
    You can download feeds directly from each Shareasale merchant that has one without waiting for FTP approval.
    Deborah Carney

I got approval but can't access the FTP address due to my work computer. My home computer is down so I'll wait and see once I get my home computer back up and running. Thanks.

I got questions. I guess I'll ask them one at a time if ya'll don't mind (keeps me from getting confused). I got this datafeeds.shareasale.com location for my data feeds. First question is this a URL to be placed in the address bar or how do I access this location? Thanks.

Are you using a script to work with the datafeeds? If so, you may want to set up a cron job to import the feeds.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    Are you using a script to work with the datafeeds? If so, you may want to set up a cron job to import the feeds.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm going to be up front here. I don't know anything about data feeds or cron job etc. I have noticed my hosting control panel has cron jobs listed. I need baby steps. So my first question is how to get to the FTP server to download the feeds? Thanks.

You need to learn how to work with datafeeds before you need ftp access to them. Just download the datafeeds to your computer as a zip until you know how to use them with a script. You will need to learn php and how to use MySQL or other database tools before you have any need to access feeds via ftp.

Spend your time reading through the many threads here that deal with database use, it takes some programming knowledge to set up a site to use datafeeds. WebMerge is a good starting point and they offer a free trial and a reduced price for SAS affs. If you're in a hurry, try PopShops or Goldencan to put products on your pages.

http and a telephoto
    If you don't use an FTP program you really shouldn't be asking for FTP access to the feeds. You cost merchants money when you do that, so they would appreciate it if only people that need it ask for it. If you go to any merchant that has a datafeed's links page you will see a link to their datafeed page and you can download that datafeed in a csv file right there. You *don't* need FTP access to get the feeds.

For example, log into Shareasale and click on this link:
    http://www.shareasale.com/a-datafeed...rchantID=17498 (you can replace 17498 with the merchant ID of one of your own merchants)

And you will see a box with your merchant and all the way to the right is:
    Datafeed Contains 2852 Products
    View Products or Download .csv
    When you click on Download .csv you go to this page:
    http://www.shareasale.com/a-download...rchantID=17498

And click where it says:
    Please click here to download the file.

You will need to replace every occurrence of YOURUSERID in this file, with your actual ShareASale userID number, which is xxxxxx.

Your browser will probably ask you if you want to Open the file, or Save. Choose "Save", and save the file to your computer...from there you can open it in any program you wish.

Fields are separated by the "|" "Pipe" symbol, not by the comma.
    Then you can open the file in Excel or another spreadsheet program and figure out what you want to do with it before you start messing around with FTP access and automation.

Did you read any of the thread I sent you to earlier? It really is a good tutorial on what to do with datafeeds.
    Deborah Carney

Hi Dirt Hammer - most of the time, when an affiliate uses a datafeed, they import that data into a database to dynamically display on thier website. (to use in blogging applications, price comparison etc..)

There are also a few scripts out there that are easier to get started with. (GoldenCan and PopShops are 2 of them).

In addition, there are great FTP programs like SecureFx that are not too costly.

Good luck to you!
    Mary Joyce
    Affiliate Manager for GregRobert Pet Supplies
    [URL=http://www.GRpet.com]www.GRpet.com [/URL]

http and a telephoto
    And there is FileZilla which is free.

Here's My Example
    eves-garden-site.com
    music-gear-now.info/gearpress

I own these sites and use different affiliate datafeed tools to create them. One is obviously a WordPress plug in, the other is done with a cgi or perl program.

Rob
    Last edited by MichaelColey; February 24th, 2010 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Unlinked

Here is a sample: www.webgourmand.com/wg/CyberCucina/CyberCucina.html.

Note that this is a work in progress; at this point, it is not "open to the public" and does not contain any affiliate links. If I end up finishing it, I may use it to display the CyberCucina products.

It's a sample of a possibility of what one can do with datafeeds. This one works with ColdFusion and Flex/ActionScript 3. If you are a good masochist, try working on something like this, especially if, like me, you are not a programmer.

If you browse to it, you may get one or two errors just dismiss them and it will work. I have not yet implemented the functionality for the Beverages, Fragrances tab nor for the shopping cart.

Regards,

Carlos
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; February 25th, 2010 at 09:36 AM.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread