Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1000 clicks with no commissions?
    I have a website where i promote web hosting products. I have a list the best web hosting companies with their respective banners beside them.

My affiliate network is Commission Junction(CJ).My problem is that i've had over 1000 clicks but haven't gotten any commission. my mind tells me that maybe i've had sales but it's not been credited to my account because i have so many banners on my site. Is it a crime to have so many affiliate links on a web page?

You can have as many affiliate links as you want to on a page.

It takes different amounts of clicks for different merchants before you have a sale. Some merchants convert better than other merchants.

Lots of times your customers will come and look but not buy anything then sometimes they will come back later and buy and sometimes they will not come back.

You don't have enough clicks yet to know much about how the merchants will convert that you are using.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I don't quite understand you...pls can you be a little more lucid. I may not understand Affiliate marketing as much as i thought i did.

Are you saying that if someone clicks on an ad on my website and then buys something from the merchant, that i'm not getting my commission because it's just a click? Pls explain better.

Just because they clicked on the ad and went to the merchant's site does not mean that they bought anything when they got there. They may have been just looking around.

You don't get paid a commission unless they actually buy something when they get there.

You don't get paid for clicks - you get paid for sales.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    Just because they clicked on the ad and went to the merchant's site does not mean that they bought anything when they got there. They may have been just looking around.

You don't get paid a commission unless they actually buy something when they get there.

You don't get paid for clicks - you get paid for sales.
    I understand this part perfectly. I know the difference between Affiliate and PPC.

My idea of Affiliate marketing is that you get 1 click which results in a sale credited to you. Or you get nothing with 10 cicks and no sale. Correct me if i'm wrong.

That's right but you don't know if you got any sales or not. Maybe you didn't get any sales.

That's right but you don't know if you got any sales or not. Maybe you didn't get any sales.
    But don't you think 1000 clicks is just too much not to get even a sale. Probably you're right that i've not gotten any sale, just wanted to know if it was a problem with the ads or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by afam4eva
    I have a website where i promote web hosting products. I have a list the best web hosting companies with their respective banners beside them.
    Have you tested other methods besides using just banners? Maybe put more information on your site for the visitor about each company, and instead of using a banner, why not email the affiliate manager and ask if it's ok to use their logo? How about the putting the differences between each company on your site, listing the benefits and drawbacks of each.

My affiliate network is Commission Junction(CJ).My problem is that i've had over 1000 clicks but haven't gotten any commission. my mind tells me that maybe i've had sales but it's not been credited to my account because i have so many banners on my site. Is it a crime to have so many affiliate links on a web page?
    The number of affiliate links doesn't matter. If you think you might not be getting credited, try to do a test purchase to see if it tracks. If it doesn't, then you'll know why you've had so many clicks without a sale. If it does track, then you know you should work on your site more. Look into how to pre-sell, it will help you tremulously.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanadili
    Have you tested other methods besides using just banners? Maybe put more information on your site for the visitor about each company, and instead of using a banner, why not email the affiliate manager and ask if it's ok to use their logo? How about the putting the differences between each company on your site, listing the benefits and drawbacks of each.
    There are loads of information about each web host company. Did i say it's a review site?

You really don't get very many sales from just banners. Sites like that are called banner farms.

To really get sales you need to review each merchant and tell your customers why they should buy from the merchant.

Example: http://www.how2createwebsites.net/re...domainname.php

Make a page for each hosting company.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; February 6th, 2010 at 12:19 PM.

You really don't get very many sales from just banners. Sites like that are called banner farms.

To really get sales you need to review each merchant and tell your customers why they should buy from the merchant.

Example: http://www.how2createwebsites.net/re...domainname.php

Make a page for each hosting company.

I get your point, but my website has a lot of content.But let's assume it doesn't. Isn't the whole thing aimed at getting clicks irrespective of whether there's content or it's a banner farm like you called it.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; February 6th, 2010 at 12:20 PM.

Customers don't like banner farms. They want information about what you're trying to sell them.

If you don't give them information about the product you want them to buy then they will go to another site that does give them information and buy from that site instead of yours.

There are loads of information about each web host company. Did i say it's a review site?
    Nope, sure didn't. In fact you said:
    After reading this, I got the impression you had a list of sites with a banner next to them without any information. Maybe put your site in the review section so others can help you determine why your not getting any sales.

How many times will i belabor the fact that my website is more than full of content, My problem like i stated is not about getting clicks, rather it's about getting sales.

You asked us why you are not getting sales and what to do about it.

We have years of experience doing this and we are trying to tell you what to do to get sales - not sit here and argue with you.

You either want us to help or you don't.

If you're going to argue with us every time we try to help you then we are all wasting our time here.

Showing an attitude here is not going to get you any help!

You asked us why you are not getting sales and what to do about it.

We have years of experience doing this and we are trying to tell you what to do to get sales - not sit here and argue with you.

You either want us to help or you don't.

If you're going to argue with us every time we try to help you then we are all wasting our time here.

Showing an attitude here is not going to get you any help!
    I can't remember arguing with anybody. I'm sorry all the same.

Moderator Note: I've renamed the thread and moved it to help you get better responses.
    Isn't the whole thing aimed at getting clicks irrespective of whether there's content or it's a banner farm like you called it.
    The quality of your site, the quality of your traffic, and how well targeted your site and the merchant is to your traffic all make a huge difference. How are you getting your traffic? All clicks and traffic are not the same.

I have one merchant that I promote on three different sites. On one site, there's a lot of foreign traffic and the items I'm promoting aren't very well targeted. That site converts very poorly (way under 1%). On another site, the quality of traffic and targeting are much better and it converts much better (about 5-10%). On the third site, it's highly targeted traffic and products, and it converts incredibly well (over 30%). From the worst site to the best, it's about 100 times better conversions, all with the same merchant.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    How many times will i belabor the fact that my website is more than full of content...
    And you don't remember arguing.

Since nobody here has seen your site, we can only go by what you tell us here about your site. And if you really are looking for some help, you will need to be concise, give all the facts and take the suggestions and criticism in your stride.

Its not a paid site, so nobody here owes you any help.

As has been said before, 1000 clicks is not enough to gauge performance with, especially if it's distributed across a number of different vendors.

And webhosting can be a tough turn on conversions. You can refer your visitors to 10, 20, even 50 different hosting offers and chances are it will still be easy for them to find an offer that is more attractive to them elsewhere.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

How many times will i belabor the fact that my website is more than full of content, My problem like i stated is not about getting clicks, rather it's about getting sales.
    ...and all content is not created equal. Web host review sites are actually a good example of some of the worst "content" sites I've ever seen. Way too many of them just feed the user the crap that the host provided, which means that there are no honest reviews and each affiliate site pretty much has the same rehashed propaganda.

If your content was created with an eye on "selling" the user as opposed to providing honest factual information about the web hosts that you're promoting, that could account for your low conversion rate. If you are simply telling users how great each host is, they may get a very different picture when they do further research and you then lose all credibility. Users aren't stupid and can see through that pretty quickly.

Not having seen your site, I don't know that this is the case, but I would suggest you go back and take a look at your "content" from a users point of view and ask yourself, "is this credible information?".

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Ok here's my website besthostlead.com

Thanks for the incisive information so far.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    I looked at your site.....

Someone needs to take the time to teach you " CALL TO ACTION " ...

Don't have the time or patience right now.

Good niche....

Very competitive tho...

Some of those click thrus are prolly just that.... Click Thrus..

Do you have any Analytics, telling you what your visitors are doing?

And of those 1000 ct's, how many are visitors clicking on one link, backing up and clicking on another ???

You must be using PPC, as I can see your site isn't indexed very well.

Take a step back..

Rethink your marketing program....

IMHO! -

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

I think most people would be more compelled by side-by-side comparisons of relevant statistics. Think about the different hosting options that are typically offered (managed servers, unmanaged servers, virtual servers, etc.) and try to figure out what things are most important to people shopping for each type of option. (I think PRICE would be a big one for ANY group. Bandwidth, disk space, type of control panel, operating system, and others would also be pretty big, and most of that is missing.) Create some side-by-side comparisons for each.

I have a feeling most of your visitors are clicking off, then going back to Google and searching for other hosting comparison sites that help them make their decisions easier.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

afam4eva I only had to look at your first "review" to see that you have absolutely nothing to offer a user looking for reliable information. I found parts of your "review" word for word on several other hosting "review" sites and I'm sure if I continued to search I'd find all of it elsewhere.

If you intend to be seen as an expert in web hosting then you have to offer your sites visitors something better than what's currently there. Do you have any first hand information regarding any of these hosts? Have you tried soliciting reviews from "real" users to see what type of experiences they've had with any of these hosts? There are so many ways to provide REAL information that there really was no need for you to scape crap from everywhere else. You just need to put some honest effort into it. Your current best case is that it's regurgitated marketing info from the host, worse case is it's plagiarism.

Who do you think your potential customers are? Part of your potential audience are publishers like us here on ABW. Do you really think that we're stupid enough to fall for phony reviews with an affiliate link attached? My advice? Burn it. Destroy everything that you didn't create and look for real information to provide your users. Become an expert at what you do and stress the honesty of your information. If a host sucks, tell your users. Develop trust through integrity. After reading your first 2 reviews no user would have any reason to trust anything else on your site.

Sorry if this seems harsh, but you asked.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast