Action Jackson - King of the World
    I just ran Spybot and Adaware and it fixed all 50 problems. However, I am still seeing something wrong with google results so something is still messed. What can I do now?

Do the free test scan at www.pestpatrol.com .

It won't clean your computer, but it will show you exactly what's in it. It catches an awful lot that Spybot and Adaware don't catch, but most of it will be cookies. If you have anything else there, it will tell you what it is and where to find it, and even how to clean it yourself.

Just a few days ago it found a BHO in my computer that wasn't installed but had registry keys. It got past both spybot and adaware, neither one picked it up at all. I'm not sure if it was one of the spyware programs or my firewall, but something kept it from being downloaded even when I clicked on it to see what it was. Download started but kept getting interrupted and never got installed. I just deleted the registry entries and problem solved.

Catwoman

Sounds alot like the hijack I recently had. Where it placed some new redirects within my windows HOSTS file and the tricky part was that when I deleted the lines it would come back. I had to do a few things. Maybe this will help you.

Check windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts

Make sure only you are in there like 127.0.0.1 Disgruntled or something to that nature if you see any other IPs liek igetnet etc... remove them. You may have windows xp which has autorecovery and is their trick. Since if you make a change to hosts it just recovers it back. So you have to go to My Computer -> Properties -> System Restore and uncheck that box. Restart the computer then edit the hosts file again. Restart again.

Now go here:
    http://download.broadbandmedic.com/

Get the VX2.BetterInternet Finder (List & Log) software. It is a custom program written by some guy to remove this pesky software. Do "Click to Find" first then if its listed in there you will see an ID key and user agent string and files.

Next, click "User Agent$" then "Guardian .reg" then "Open Regedit" and follow its instructions of unselecting the checkbox in permissions. Lastly select all the files and use the "Delete these Files"

I know sounds super crazy but trust me I ran all the programs and this lil tool was the only way to save my computer the other day. I lost 4 hours trying to fix my computer til I stumbled upon that in a forum.

LASTLY... make sure you are in SAFE MODE and logged in as administrator.

I obviously hope you dont have this bugger but if you do that did work for me. I wish ya luck.

And when done restart and rerun adaware and spybot.

Keep me posted...

PS - there is a cool tool as well to show you whats running in your system.
    http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    And once you have a clean system, change to an alternative web browser to avoid further infections.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Do it in baby steps as some spyware/adware block common removal tools and even their update functions.

Start with a lesser known online adware/spyware removal tool.... Nifty site for doing some quick research on the Ad Whores within the affiliate advertising industry with AIDS. (AIDS =Advertising Integrity Disfunctional Syndrome) Like in the real world AIDS is always fatal and those at the highest risk are all members of the IAB (Internet Advertising Bureau) & the DMA (Direct Marketing Assoc) . Some of the AIDS strains are shown here which infect over 300 million systems... http://www.spywareguide.com/product_list_clsid.php

Some of the known programming perps spreading AIDS are ... http://www.spywareguide.com/creator_list_full.php The 3rd world and cyberterrorist programming perps take the same precautions on their whereabouts as Bin-Laden. Rumor has it Bill Gates has secretly funded a death squad force and shoot on sight reward program for Windows virus writers and system crashing BHO's of the Adware/Spyware variety. Nifty Online spyware/Adware detector and removal too for placing a link to on your sites is....

http://www.spywareguide.com/txt_onlinescan.html ...try it for free and you will be amazed!

Next is to do a online virus scan using Trendmicros "Housecall" as the same adware perps often block Norton complete scans or live updates. http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp

Then run Ad-Aware 6.0 after seeing if it will update to the latest BHO profile...same with SpyBot S&E. Remove everything they detect. If Ad-aware won't complete just stop it after it detects a few of the buggers....repeat ...till it runs all the way through. Reboot if notified for final removals.

Then prevent the buggers from getting on your system ....

SpywareBlaster 3.1 ..Prevent spyware from installing in the first place!

Spyware, adware, browser hijackers, and dialers are some of the fastest-growing threats on the Internet today. By simply browsing to a web page, you could find your computer to be the brand-new host of one of these unwanted Ad Whore fiends!

The most important step you can take is to secure your system. And SpywareBlaster is the most powerful protection program available. Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted pests in Internet Explorer. Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox. Please support sites like EcomCity.com who earn commissions from recommending trusted merchants for savvy shoppers. Be sure to not check off auto removal of these cookies... Bfast (BeFree merchants) all Commission Junction cookies and those from Linksynergy (Linkshare) or I'm out of business. The sale commission tracking cookies set from our merchant links are NOT SPYWARE.

SpywareBlaster can help keep your system spyware-free and secure, without interfering with the "good side" of the web.And unlike other programs, SpywareBlaster does not have to remain running in the background. SpywareBlaster is freeware for personal and educational use. Update and use all the options to protect your system and browser.

> Download SpywareBlaster 3.1 ...details http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Last try another shield "Browser Hijack Blaster" as a second mouse rubber...Browser Hijack Blaster protects your system from browser hijackers and spyware that alters your Internet Explorer settings. Running silently in the background, Browser Hijack Blaster only springs into action when an attempt is made. It watches and protects the following items:
    IE Homepage, IE Default Page, IE Search Page, BHOs

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/bhblaster.html

Then make up a page with above for your shoppers to use
    like I did at www.ecomcity.com/news.htm or give me a courtesy link to that page. Hey ...it can be fun to try and dent the revenue stream of the BHO commission stealing affiliates as you eliminate one victim at a time.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Google is taking a firm stance to eliminate these hidden infections and troublesome un-installs.

http://www.google.com/corporate/soft...rinciples.html
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Thanks to everyone who replied. I finally got it fixed. For anyone else who has similar problems:

The thing that fixed it is called cwshredder. Adter running this I also had to run the Windows security update to keep it from coming back. I believe this was from Clientmen

I agree with Drewbert, switch away from IE.

If you cannot, or will not, you should turn off ActiveX in the Tools > Internet Options menu.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    And if you have any webpages with "designed for ME IE" buttons on them, please replace them with download buttons for FireFox and/or Opera.

For the sake of the affiliates.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread