Adding additional inputs to Wordpress Tags
    I didn't have much luck searching google for this probably because 'tag' is used so frequently so I thought I would pick other ABWer's brains to see if anyone had any thoughts.

I use tags pretty prominently on my one wordpress site. Each post only has 1 tag. Then I group together my tags using categories. A tag can be in any one of my categories.

But I want to group similar tags together. I started doing this by adding a parent category called say 'tag group' then had sub categories to better outline my site. A tag will only be in one tag group. When a user is viewing a 'tag' i want to show similar 'tags' to them. Doing this with categories is OK but not practical in the long run. You can imagine what happens when I want to expand or change what tag group a tag belongs to...

So to you wordpress users out there... Can I add additional fields to my tags besides 'tag name', 'tag slug' and 'tag description'? I would like to add 'tag group' and a few others things as well. I couldn't find a plugin to do this but once again, searching for anything with the word 'tag' in it isn't always the easiest.

Also should mention.. my knowledge of tables, MySQL, etc is limited.. but I am a quick learner!

Thanks,

No offense intended, but why in the world would you complicate tags so greatly??

I use tags and I added the line of code to my single.php to get the tags to show near the bottom of each post. I have categories that I use on each post. But I would never go to such work to organize tags so extensively.

As for how to do what you're suggesting -- sorry, I'm not sure I even understand it and I wouldn't know how to do it.
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    No offense intended, but why in the world would you complicate tags so greatly??
    Probably because I don't know any better?

Let me try with an example and see if this makes sense. Lets say I have a website dedicated to music groups and tours. I use tags for bands. So on the tag page for say The Who, I have a description of the band and then I list their various appearances. Then I have categories for the different tours. So a tour might have multiple bands (tags) but each band page (tag page) will only show that band's tours. But then I want to be able to search by genre. So I can add in another category that would have genres and each time I add a tour date for a band, I have to make sure I add that category for the band. I was hoping to be able to group tags together as they never change (or very rarely) so I wouldn't have to add the additional category each time i put a new tour date in for the band.

Does that make sense? Am I doing this way too complicated and is there an easier way?

forgot to add. I'm not really using wordpress as a 'blog' .. but more of a CMS.. once again, probably because I don't know any better!

http and a telephoto
    you're over complicating it. Use categories and then tag appropriately and people can search for what ever they want, or you can create links using the searches.

Tags shouldn't be used *as* categories, they have a different purpose.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Hmmm.. But I need each band to have its own sort of home page, which I use the single tag page for. I guess I could have each band as a category and use a single category but then I run into the same issue. I want to group categories together which I guess some could be done with the parent / sub category structure. But I also want to add additional information, like a like to the band's homepage, which I was hoping I could enter into my database once and not have a 1,000+ long if statement if this band, link, else if this band, link.. I was hoping on having tag->link or like there's tag->slug. Which is a great feature. I upload 4 pics for each band, then call it in my tags page like so images/ .tag->slug .1.jpg, images/ .tag->slug .2.jpg etc etc.. then for say The Who, I name my images in the images folder the-who1.jpg, the-who2.jpg etc etc

This is too much thinking for me I think!

Quote Originally Posted by gcarson
    forgot to add. I'm not really using wordpress as a 'blog' .. but more of a CMS.. once again, probably because I don't know any better!
    Nah, it's probably because you DO know what you want. It's more a case of I can't figure how that would look, so I'm not much help.

Many of us use WP more "CMS-y" than "bloggish," so someone may well come along with some good ideas on how to do what you're trying for.
    Generate more fake news.

Thanks. I think I can probably accomplish what I want just by adding a simple database or something like that. But since I have limited (as in none) database knowledge, I'll have to wait for Databases for Dummies comes out.

Writer.. did those atahualpa tips ever help?

Quote Originally Posted by gcarson
    ... Writer.. did those atahualpa tips ever help?
    Actually, I never got a chance to look them over and work through them. But thanks.

I have a theme I've decided to stay with and really haven't done anything at all with Atahualpa. Instead, I'm actually trying to discipline myself to focus on daily adding real content to the site and not letting myself get so distracted on new themes.
    Generate more fake news.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread