Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I got an email from a very well known merchant requesting that I do a link exchange with them. In exchange for a link from some diddly little directory domain they threw together in an hour (with no PR) they want me to link to their merchant site from my PR 6 site.

Furthermore, this merchant runs an affiliate program of which I'm a member! I replied to them saying that the exchange was not equitable and thanks-but-no-thanks.

Tbe really interesting bit is that the offer didn't come from the merchant's domain, it came from seorank.com. Pretty pathetic.

May well be the merchant isn't even aware which sites the SEO company is targeting. Sounds to me like the SEO co's issue. The SEO company obviously thinks they can dupe some poor folks into unfair exchanges purely on leveraging their clients "brand equity".

Neato.

I think I got the same link exchange request. In my case the trade would have been between a PR5 site and their PR0 page. I told them to contact me when they could put my link on 1) A page that consumers can find. and 2) When that page is a PR4 or better.
    ~Ernie

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Zeez folks still don't realize all these organized "Get traffic" schemers are just con-men seeking new suckers. E-mail spammers promising the traffic desperate are old hat especially when the con-job comes from some foreign country. India -China -Nigeria- Malasia -Russia etc etc. are rife with cyber schemers.

Registrant
    Atul Gupta
    SCO 343-345,Sector 34
    Chandigarh, UT 160017
    India
    email: atul@pugmarksdesign.com
    phone: 91172645905
    fax: 91172645905

Administrative
    Atul Gupta
    SCO 343-345,Sector 34
    Chandigarh, UT 160017
    India

Technical
    Atul Gupta
    SCO 343-345,Sector 34
    Chandigarh, UT 160017
    India

Billing
    Atul Gupta
    SCO 343-345,Sector 34
    Chandigarh, UT 160017
    India

Really adds credibility to the offer to drive traffic from some major merchnats site via a receprocal link...
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Ernie, I was a bit more brazen in my reply. I told them I'd entertain an offer to do a link exchange directly from the merchant's domain! Heck, the merchant has the same PR my site has.

If you hear back from seorank would you let me know? I'm curious to find out just how flexible they're prepared to be in their link exchange scheme. I'll post here if I receive a response from them about my counter-proposal.

Seems to me that merchant is paying a lot of money for a pretty wretched service.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Seems to me that merchant is paying a lot of money for a pretty wretched service. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

they just don't know it yet.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread