Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Anybody else receive the following email, looks like its a mass email, I've found it on tons of forums.
    "DON'T BUY GAS ON MAY 19TH

IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES DID NOT
    PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.

AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF
    OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL
    COMPANIES.

THEREFORE MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT UP THEIR BEHIND" DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF GASOLINE THAT DAY.

THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT.

WAITING ON THIS ADMINISTRATION TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?

REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT AT THE SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING
    COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON
    EVERYTHING THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING
    MATERIALS, MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!

WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY, WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN.

SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE MAY 19TH A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH."
    "

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    One word...

Halliburton.

The oil companies will probably just stick it out for one day, and raise prices so those who didn't buy gas on the 19th will pay more for it on the 20th!

Our government needs to step in and do something to bring down the prices. Oil companies are paying off their debt loads in record amounts, and earning huge profits each quarter. Obviously, they are charging TOO MUCH for gas!

The officials who were elected (or were put in office by other powers) to protect the people aren't doing their jobs! Remember this, and get rid of them when they're up for re-election!

Andy

What good will it do when everyone fills up the day before or the day after? Nice try but it aint gonna work. The only way to win this one is to vote for non tree huggers so that we can build more oil refining plants.

Get a grip and do your homework before you go off on a rant.

Gas prices have increased every year at a rate of 3%.

The gouge you feel is from the individual gas station owners not OPEC!

BETTER ADD: <span class="ev_code_RED">Stop letting the media run your MINDS!</span>

ABW Ambassador
    One of those stupid chain mails. Amazing (not really) people still pass these things on and even do what they say.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    It isn't the individual owners. The increase is coming down the pipe to them.

The reason for the increases are being cited as "Tight gasoline supplies and rising demand are responsible for the increase." (insert personal thought of that reason --&gt; )

It is $2.20.9 a gallon for the cheap stuff here now. It has gone up over .30 in less than 2 weeks.

Either way, not buying gas for one day will not make a difference.

Speaking of increases, have you checked out the price for a gallon of milk lately? Whole milk is now 3.89 a gallon here! That is up over a 1.00 from a month ago.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Heyder's right.

If you refrain from buying gas for one day but do not use any less gas that day you've accomplished nothing.
    Try not using gas for one day if you want to make a difference. Unfortunately, getting the globe on board for that one isn't an easy task.

CDC

Here in the UK a year or so back the farmers and the one man bands in the haulage industry got together and blockaded the refineries for several days and the country gradually ground to a halt.

However if it was tried again I suspect the government would be quicker off the mark.

If you want to feel real pain fell free to try out petrol(sorry gas) prices this side of the pond. Now over 0.80 GBP to the litre.

Les

It has already been reported that plans have been made to drop the prices before the election. Now really is that gonna make you decide who to vote for?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1®:
    One of those stupid chain mails. Amazing (not really) people still pass these things on and even do what they say. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Call it what you want but its spreading like wildfire,

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...AS+ON+MAY+19TH

SUV sales for the month of April took a huge hit due to higher gas prices,

http://money.cnn.com/2004/05/17/pf/a..._gas/index.htm

I bought a new 4Runner yesterday

CDC

ABW Ambassador
    "Call it what you want but its spreading like wildfire,"

I know, people are really hypocritical. I wonder how many of the people participating can buy a hybrid, buy a car that gets better mileage, ride a bike to work, take a bus, carpool etc.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    GWB is busy re-filling the federal oil stockpile using taxpayers money while the price is at it's highest.

Who does the USG buy it's oil off?

Exxon?

Go Condi!

I was gonna buy a Minicooper since I am 20 miles from work and save my SUV for hauling the dog around on weekends. BUT when it rains here the streets flood and I realized on my way home in the rain last week that I wouldn't have been able to make it in a Mini. Maybe a 4 wheel drive Mini.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia's ambassador to the United States, Prince Bandar bin Sultan, promised President Bush the Saudis would cut oil prices before November to ensure the U.S. economy is strong on election day, journalist Bob Woodward said in a television interview Sunday.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    &gt; The gouge you feel is from the individual gas station owners not OPEC!

Sorry wrong.

Take it from somebody who:

1 - about 10 years ago was approched by a friend who owns a gas station. He has been in the gas station business for over 30 years. He started with a little gas station and then grew enough to open a few other gas stations, enough that he eventualy started selling gas to his other stations around town and has many stations now even being in the news lately since he is still and independent, he still can afford to sell at lower prices so lately he has alot of traffic.

Well he needed a small invoice software program made for him that he could use, that he would be able to charge his staions that he sold gas to. To make a long story short writting this program for him I saw not only how much the gas station owner was being charged by him and sometimes other bigger dealers but also how much profit and markups they were making. Well most of the charges you see were for Federal, state, local and taxes.

Example $1.98 at the gas pump means the gas station owner is paying probably $1.97, and sometimes the gas station even when you see $1.98 they might have actually paid $1.98 for it. But what happens is that they put their lowest gas like regular at a discount so that he can lead you to his stations and then you might want to purchase premium instead or regular. Now the premium gas might have cost him $2.09 and then he sells that at $2.11, yes that is right most of the times gas stations only make pennies per gallon.

Even though you might think well, they sell thousands of gallons, so 2 pennies is millions of dollars. It looks good, but depending if the gas station owner is the actual owner of the building or just leasing the building, as most of the 98 percent owners do, then they pay thousands for rent and materials etc and sometimes even having to remove the tanks from below if they are to old which is paid by the owner himself.

The taxes and state fees on gas for example, when you see $1.98 that means the owner paid lets say $1.97 but the dealer or the distributor paid 50% to 60% of that for state and local taxes, etc and then the distributor paid oil producers the rest that leaves the bigger companies like Amoco, Citgo, Hess, Chevron with making just a few pennies per gallon too.

2 - I had other close friends and relatives in the gas station business years ago and eventually had to close down because of all the expenses.

Most of the gas stations you see today, they really make the money not on the gas, they make no profit at the pump, they might lower the price just to get you inside the convenience store where they do make a bigger profit on selling items like bread, beer, and sodas and sandwiches.

So, between the taxes paid at the pump and opec the only ones making money are the oil producing countries and your local city and state government, the taxes that YOU approve every time you vote on a local referemdums that says "should we build a new transportation system" or a new highway, etc.

Those that blame Bush, Clinton, the US (even though I favor Bush) prices going up has nothing to do with politics, Haliburton or your nearest gas station owner.

Jorge

jrami I or we have been hearing that story for years now. It's just simply not true.

Some hair brain politician added a .005% tax to gas just about three months ago. Gas prices immediately went up choose a or b

a. .005 cents
    b. 0.05 cents

hmm fuzzy math hey?

Also everytime something happens or a rumor is started it takes a matter of a half day for station prices to rise. Even though it most likely takes about six months for a barrel of oil to reach the pumps.

I think your friend showed you the "official" lol files.

Here in the former oil capitol of the world, there are still many petroleum companies. We know what's going on in the oil industry.

If oil companies are only making pennies on a gallon of gas, how is it they are generating profits in the hundreds of millions of dollars each quarter, and can afford to pay off their debt load in record numbers? You don't do that when you earn just a few pennies per gallon.

No wonder they're getting away with it. Consumers are so gullible.

Andy

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I heard a gallon of gas in Iraq only cost $.11.

Blame the oil prices on just about everyone. Automobile industry for not putting more resources into fuel efficient auto's, blame ourselves for buying the huge SUV's, oil companies for being greedy. It's amazing how many Expeditions and those type SUV's on the road and they are still filling their tanks. If americans are going to pay, do you think there is a real incentive to lower prices?

People are so wasteful. My neighbors across the street have 2 kids, and drive an Escalade and a GMC pickup truck. They are always coming and going, I'll bet they are up and down their drive 20 times a day, it seems they never combine their trips. They don't recycle, either.

I'm wondering why they think it's not necessary to conserve and be environmentally friendly. Don't they care about their kids? What kind of an example are they setting? What are they going to leave their kids with other than dirty air and tons of garbage?

People always expect someone else to do it, when they should be doing it themselves.

Andy

Gas Prices in Iraq only .11 cents?

Wow, when I was in Saudi Arabia 1976-1977, gas cost .10-.11 cents a gallon. Must be nice to hold prices that long.

John

Mini cooper not making it through flooded streets? how high is this flood?

I think driving is a privilege and people complain too much

&lt;sarcasm&gt;
    Well, it looks like the boycott was a rousing success. The prices are plummeting at the pumps.
    &lt;/sarcasm&gt;

ABW Ambassador
    How many people here are driving SUV's. That is
    the big problem. We've gotten so used to our
    expensive toys in this country. I read somewhere
    that by the year 2010 there won't be enough gas
    to go around for everyone, the demand will be
    greater than the supply. It's time we start to
    make some big changes in this country.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast