Website logo design
    Hey guys,

Just a quick question about logo design for websites. I am in the process of designing a logo for my site that will appear next to the heading and give my page some real personality and flair. I have had a look into a few free design sites and am not that pleased with what they offer (they are after all free).

Just curious to see what people recommend in this area and any amazing free sites that offer a function.

Thanks heaps

If you want a really good logo, then you'll need to pay for it!
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Affiliate Manager
    I used someone locally and only paid a couple hundred bucks. Check to see if there is a local art school. Sometimes you can find a student who is looking for some additional cash.

I've never found an online service that lets you generate decent logos.

There are a number of active ABWers who do logo design, and some of them are quite reasonable:

AlexBet
    auggie4000
    scorpionagency
    logoinn

If you want to do it yourself, I've found the Logo Design Studio software to be very easy to use and produces decent results. I think it retails for $60, but you can find it for $25-$30 at SamsClub.com, on eBay, etc. (I got a free copy at a conference and designed a few logos with it.)
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

AvantLink has a merchant called PointBanner that has a site worth checking. You might get them a try.

I agree that if you want a good/great logo you're going to have to pay for it. With that said, unless your making money with your site I wouldn't even worry about a logo right now. Just a simple text with the site name should do for now until you know your site can make money.

After your site is making a little money, I found the best way to go is to have graphic designers compete by designing different logos and you choose which one is the best for the winner. Design Outpost does this, and I have used them in the past. Was very pleased with the results.

Or learn to use Photoshop (or Gimp, opensource and free and super!) and learn how to make your own logos. I really enjoy making my logos now, after learning how to use the program. It's not like you never need to know how to do simple things in graphic programs, anyways.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    At namepros.com they have a sub forum where you can run logo contests. That is, you offer, say fifty bucks, put out basic info about your needs. Then over the next few weeks ( you specify how long ) , several designers will create a logo to their version of your specifications. They are often quite good!
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

I used scorpionagency for a few logos the last few weeks and they have been great to deal with!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I've never found an online service that lets you generate decent logos.

There are a number of active ABWers who do logo design, and some of them are quite reasonable:

AlexBet
    auggie4000
    scorpionagency
    logoinn

If you want to do it yourself, I've found the Logo Design Studio software to be very easy to use and produces decent results. I think it retails for $60, but you can find it for $25-$30 at SamsClub.com, on eBay, etc. (I got a free copy at a conference and designed a few logos with it.)
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kse
    I used scorpionagency for a few logos the last few weeks and they have been great to deal with!!!
    I used their services to create a logo for a political blog I brought online last week, it is a great logo, very happy with it!
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Quote Originally Posted by lintlin
    Or learn to use Photoshop
    Oh my. If you can teach yourself Photoshop and it was a good use of your time.. wow, you should be working for the NSA! I have such a hard time using / figuring out Photoshop Although I did do a simple logo with drop shadow and outer glow.. although I think I figured those out by mistake. My wife did one with a reflection.

Since only 20 people visit my site a day, most of which are family, I did a very simple logo. And like others suggested.. if I ever hit 100 visitors a day, I most likely will pay someone. I'm pretty cheap and prefer to learn and do things myself.. but when it comes to graphics, I think its better to hire someone.

Quote Originally Posted by gcarson
    I'm pretty cheap and prefer to learn and do things myself.. but when it comes to graphics, I think its better to hire someone.
    Yeah, some of us have NO skills when it comes to graphics. Recognizing our weaknesses is pretty important.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I'm not a pro by any means, but I can use gimp pretty easily now. It's easy once you figure out that there are thousands of brushes that you can simply install and make all kinds of designs with one click. I was crushed that designers don't make their own paisley, flowers and coffee stains LOL

The thing I like about open source software is that there is always a huge community behind it and there are video tutorials on how to learn how to do anything in Gimp. Letter reflections, glassy icons, sparkles and glows...it's really not hard, especially when you can watch the videos and people walk you through the steps.

I really have fun with it now, and it makes all the "boring" graphic stuff I have to do (like touch up pictures, make compiled images and image maps etc) a very easy job.

Sometimes I have to keep myself from whitening everyone's teeth...it's so easy... lol

I'm not a pro by any means, but I can use gimp pretty easily now.
    I'm downloading gimp now. From the looks of their site I have to try it, and it's available for my Ubuntu also.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Is this the product Michael? http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...CL._AA260_.jpg

Sounds like something I could use. I have a difficult time with logos.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Affiliate Manager JobCannon_Joshua's Avatar
    This is a good guide of things to keep in mind when you design your logo. There are several examples of good and bad logos to illustrate each point.

http://www.istockphoto.com/article_view.php?ID=721

I have no relationship istock photo, except that I have bought a ton of images from them.

since I am not making any money from my site just yet - i will take lanadili's advice and bypass the logo until i do start earning something from it.
    All your advice is much appreciated - Michael I am doing some research into logo design software as we speak.

Adobe Illustrator creates vector designs for your logo. The vector designs add flexibility.

15 Excellent Logo Design Tutorials Using Illustrator

When creating a logo design, it’s good practice to use a vector-based application to construct it so that you’ll have a flexible logo design that can be used in numerous print and web-based mediums. Adobe Illustrator is the industry standard when it comes to creating vector-based logo designs. In this collection, you will find 15 hand-picked tutorials from a variety of talented graphic designers and illustrators that discuss the logo creation process using Illustrator.
    http://sixrevisions.com/graphics-des...g-illustrator/
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Adobe Illustrator creates vector designs for your logo. The vector designs add flexibility.

15 Excellent Logo Design Tutorials Using Illustrator
    Those were great. I could spend weeks working and learning that stuff, and it would still come out looking like refrigerator art. I've accepted the fact that I have no skills in this area, and when I need anything I'll go to Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    Those were great. I could spend weeks working and learning that stuff, and it would still come out looking like refrigerator art. I've accepted the fact that I have no skills in this area, and when I need anything I'll go to Alex.
    I kind of agree with you there *except* I did spend the money on Photoshop CS3 & Illustrator CS3. I hear Adobe has upgraded the version to CS4 but if I could get anything somewhat passing with the software I own I'd be happy.

I've used Photoshop. I'd like to create something for the web with Illustrator.
    It's a creative impulse factor.

Here's another good site for Illustrator:
    http://vector.tutsplus.com/
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    Is this the product Michael? http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...CL._AA260_.jpg

Sounds like something I could use. I have a difficult time with logos.
    It looks like the same thing.

Looking on the publisher's web site, it looks like they have a free trial version and a $19.99 version:

http://www.summitsoftlogodesign.com/
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Great article, thanks Joshua!

I think we have to remember that OP is "just" making a website logo and not developing CI (which definitely DOES belong in the hands of a professional). When playing around with my sites, installing new ones, updating old ones or just trying out new templates I've found I often need new logos. I can make a logo (for a website) in about 10 minutes, often it is just the typeset because I just want to replace the Site Info text of the template with something a little more polished than "Arial 24pt"

But then, I have always had an eye for stuff like that. I think if my husband were to do websites, the first thing he would outsource would be anything to do with graphics lol!

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread