Full Story - Click Here

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A Dutch man pleaded guilty on Monday to duping investors into committing nearly $3 million for nonexistent shares of the Internet search engine company Google through a bogus pre-initial public offering.

Shamoon Rafiq, 30, pleaded guilty in federal court to wire fraud and faces 51 to 63 months in jail. He would have faced 70 to 80 months had he not accepted responsibility, court officials said.

He was charged after an FBI (news - web sites) investigation into the fraud scheme that took advantage of publicity surrounding Google Inc.'s announced plans to make a public stock offering.

Rafiq's victims agreed to invest more than $2.8 million and deposited more than $500,000 in various accounts held by Rafiq.

Although no date or price has been set for Google's actual offering, Rafiq told his victims he was able to purchase pre-IPO Google stock, which he said was available to "family and friends" at a discount.

Rafiq falsely presented himself as a limited partner of the venture capital firm backing the Google offering or as an individual involved with the Google IPO. He also falsely claimed he had attended Stanford University with the founders of the Internet business.

Prosecutors described transactions with five of his victims and also detailed a wild spending spree by Rafiq, who spent about $186,000 on restaurants, strip clubs, jewelry and fancy hotels during a three-month period from November 2003.

His lawyer, Michael Rosen, said that after sentencing he would ask that Rafiq, identified in court papers as a business development manager based in New York for the global telecommunications company British Telecom Inc., be allowed to serve his sentence in the Netherlands.

ABW Ambassador
    Are people really that stupid? To give him money without first checking to make sure that it was legit.

Wow, the world is full of gullible people

would you like to hear about this large inheritance I must soon get out of Nigeria? I also have a special deal on a very large bridge . . .

there's one born every minute

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, I just pulled some moon rocks out of my ass, they are going for $1,000 each

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Great story about teaching an eBay scammer a lesson...

http://www.mannequin3d.com/powerbook/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Julian:
    Yeah, I just pulled some moon rocks out of my ass, they are going for $1,000 each <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Better still, there is somebody on this board who will take your cash, $28.95, and allow you to name a star, as if he owns the universe,

http://abw.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tp...0764#962100764

You got it right theres a sucker born every day.

ABW Ambassador
    People do pay for that service. I have sent quite a few people to a different star naming merchant, and some nice checks come my way in the holidays

JJJay:

I promote Name A Star on my sites as well - don't do much in the way of clicks yet; but, I do know that people really like that stuff. And the program that you pointed to sounds far better than what I have now. I think I might give it a whirl...

John

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Hey www.Cosmond.com "Name a Star" is a good 5 Star program! Like Julian said people do love stars for gifts and a bunch of famous people have stars named after them so it's an "in" kind of gift. May seem hokey to some, but people love to buy them and love to receive them. And 40% commish and $10 1st sale bonus is nothing to sneeze at.

Hey JJJAY & Julian, come on and board the Star ship.

Sorry to derail this thread, just had to comment. You know me!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Catalyst:
    Hey http://www.Cosmond.com "Name a Star" is a good 5 Star program! Like Julian said people do love stars for gifts and a bunch of famous people have stars named after them so it's an "in" kind of gift. May seem hokey to some, but people love to buy them and love to receive them. And 40% commish and $10 1st sale bonus is nothing to sneeze at.

Hey JJJAY & Julian, come on and board the Star ship.

Sorry to derail this thread, just had to comment. You know me! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Is this thing offical, is it recognized by NASA and the other space agencies. For example if the space probe Galileo passes a star named by one of your customers will that star be reported in the news as, "XYZ star". I just want to know if this is an offical thing or just a novelty.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Thousands of stars have been sold but none of the programs that do this are official.
    It's just a novelty gift.

ABW Ambassador
    A lot of the stars that you see in the sky are so far away that a lot of them are now dead. The light takes so long to get here that by the time we do finally see the stars, they are long gone.

Name a star that no longer exists, would that sell well?

Reminds me of the guy standing on the beach selling seagulls, pay your money, he points to one flying by "that's yours there"

Hey there's an idea, I can feel a website coming on, buy-the-charismatic-mega-fauna-of-your-choice.com

How much do you think I could get for a whale? Just think how good people would think for it to be roaming free instead of captivity. warm-and-fuzzy.com?

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread