Question Pop up w/Redirects
    Greetings,

So I was looking for the following video card part "512-p2-n801-ar" on google..and I went to a website called stylefeeder which .. loaded up a internal pop up on entry with a No/Yes / close option ..

If you clicked on Yes it will auto load a GAN redirect to ecost with that part and also have the affiliate site loaded-

If you clicked on No it goes to some search page on the affiliate site ..

My question for ya .. is that type of a redirect on popup against any TOS ?
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

I would say its cookie stuffing and is wrong.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

thanks!

exactly what I thought .. maybe this thread should move to the

Unethical Affiliates
    or
    Suspicious Activity!
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

Moving to Unethical Affiliates.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

ABW Ambassador
    It's not cookie stuffing since she had to click first.

"loaded up a internal pop up on entry with a No/Yes / close option .. "

No or yes to what?

Let me retell my story:

Went to google

typed the following in search
    512-p2-n801-ar

went to the forth result

which was a site called stylefeeder

A page loaded up with the part and on top of the page was a internal pop-up / Invue type of a box.

Box says
    Is this what you searched for
    No - Yes

then in small writing close this box.

Clicking on the Yes - Will auto pop up another browser window with a GAN Redirect to ecost - deeplink to part. also leaves open the affiliate site in the orignal browser.

Clicking on No goes to a search type of a thing on the affiliate site.

Closing the box / does that ...

How is that not Stuffing ?
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

ABW Ambassador
    Cookie stuffing would be if you went to that site and got a cookie(s) without clicking anything. That's more of a forced click and still wrong in my opinion but probably ok with networks since I see this affiliate being nominated for this and that award.

ouch ..

Just wait till Coupon Sites do that .. ..

ugh
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

ABW Ambassador
    There are plenty that already do, even regular product/no coupon sites as well.

Some will load you up with cookies by merely visiting the page, no clicking necessary, cookie stuffing.

Some might have click for coupon, setting a cookie, and they might have a working one, they might also have an expired one, one that doesn't work, or they might not even have a coupon, but it set a cookie anyway, forced click.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    There are plenty that already do, even regular product/no coupon sites as well.

Some will load you up with cookies by merely visiting the page, no clicking necessary, cookie stuffing.

Some might have click for coupon, setting a cookie, and they might have a working one, they might also have an expired one, one that doesn't work, or they might not even have a coupon, but it set a cookie anyway, forced click.
    Do affiliate managers have some site that notes all these affiliates / affiliate sites that do such things?

Any lists / blacklists out there for them to see?
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

ABW Ambassador
    Not sure, I doubt most have a problem with it since it sets a cookie for them.

Network wise - http://www.cj.com/code_of_conduct.html

just a couple of paragraphs

# Notification of Redirection. Publishers must explicitly notify the end-user of any redirection performed by a software download technology to a participating advertiser site. The publisher must also disclose to participating advertisers the URLs and/or keywords which trigger auto notification and/or redirection and receive consent for such activities. The implementation of software application functionality requires that:

* The notification be easily understood by the average end-user
    * Any settings for automatic notification and/or redirection must be explicitly opt-in
    * Instructions on how to uninstall/deactivate must be provided
    * Such software must not be objectionable to the advertiser

# Non End-User Initiated Events. Publishers may not use methods to generate non end-user initiated impressions, clicks, or transactions. All click events must be initiated by an affirmative end-user action. Consent of software installation and acceptance of an end-user License Agreement that includes a disclosure that the software will perform click events on the end-user's behalf for the benefit of both the end-user and the publisher who owns the software, is considered an affirmative

With this case, it looks like you didn't know you were going to get redirected. It just asked if you found what you were looking for, not that you wanted to go to Ecost.

This is GAN, I don't know their rules on this.

This is theirs, even tho they say software application, I'm pretty sure it means website too -

3.2 Interference with Referrals. Your Software Application must not interfere with, or seek to improperly influence, the referral of an end user to the web site of a Google Affiliate Network advertiser unless the end user knowingly and explicitly consents to that behavior by taking an affirmative action after being notified each and every time.

Actually, if you dig a little deeper it says in the publisher policies that certain sections of the Adsense agreement also apply, including a section on invalid clicks and impresions that says:

Invalid Clicks and Impressions

Publishers may not click their own ads or use any means to inflate impressions and/or clicks artificially, including manual methods.

Clicks on Google ads must result from genuine user interest. Any method that artificially generates clicks or impressions on your Google ads is strictly prohibited. These prohibited methods include, but are not limited to, repeated manual clicks or impressions, automated click and impression generating tools and the use of robots or deceptive software. Please note that clicking your own ads for any reason is prohibited.
    Clicking "yes" without any referrence to the advertiser or landing page doesn't show genuine interest in being taken to the advertiser. I think the above is probably enough, but they also fall afoul of a couple other sections of the Adsense policies that are included as part of the publisher policies:

Content Guidelines
    Copyrighted Material
    Webmaster Guidelines
    Traffic Sources
    Ad Behavior
    Ad Placement
    Site Behavior
    Google Advertising Cookies

Ad behavior:

AdSense code may not be altered, nor may the standard behavior, targeting or delivery of ads be manipulated in any way that is not explicitly permitted by Google. For instance, clicking Google ads may not result in a new browser window being launched.
    Ad placement:

Publishers are encouraged to experiment with a variety of placements and ad formats. However, AdSense code may not be placed in inappropriate places such as pop-ups, emails or software. Publishers must also adhere to the policies for each product used.

Google ads, search boxes or search results may not be:

Integrated into a software application of any kind, including toolbars.
    Displayed in pop-ups or pop-unders.
    Placed in emails or in email programs.
    Obscured by elements on a page.
    Placed on any non-content-based page.
    Placed on pages published specifically for the purpose of showing ads.
    Placed on pages whose content or URL could confuse users into thinking it is associated with Google due to the misuse of logos, trademarks or other brand features.
    Placed on, within or alongside other Google products or services in a manner that violates the policies of that product or service.
    Edit: Oops, just saw this was a thread from February. Sorry to drag up an old conversation.
    Last edited by Eathan; May 20th, 2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: noticed the thread age
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgie Peri View Post
    ouch ..

Just wait till Coupon Sites do that .. ..

ugh
    Some coupon sites do this. But not just coupon sites. I have seen a lot of sites do this. Merchants and networks need to step up and stop this.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    That's more of a forced click and still wrong in my opinion but probably ok with networks since I see this affiliate being nominated for this and that award.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread