Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    1000Bulbs.Com - Affiliates Beware
    My affiliate status for 1000bulbs.com was deactivated and all my sales reversed without any prior warnings are any email explaining the violation. FYI 1000bulbs has an open search policy as well. I sent over $1000 worth of PPC traffic to them over the past 60 days and then they reversed over $2000 worth of sales. I already have an email into Google, but I just wanted to advise any other affiliates that are promoting them.
    Last edited by MaketheMoney; February 10th, 2010 at 07:48 PM. Reason: adding merchant name

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    They were an advertiser here - right?

ABW Ambassador
    Chuck is the affiliate manager isn't he? Why not touch base with him before you start a thread like this one.

You need to at least try to find out what is going on before you post.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    If this is who I think it is you were first caught on the 1st in CJ trademark bidding on another merchant. Yesterday I found 118 ads going back to the first of December for 1000Bulbs. A network complaint has been filed, you have been removed from the program. Our trademark policy is posted here: http://1000bulbs.affiliatecrew.com/terms.php

Chuck, this is the 1000Bulbs PPC policy as posted in GAN:

There seems to be a LARGE discrepancy with what's posted on their website. Perhaps you need to open a dialog with the OP.

-rematt
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Looks like we didn't follow through with the policy update in the network. Once that is completed I will reinstate the affiliate, reverse any canceled commissions. The network has been contracted to cancel the complaint. I am publicly apologizing for jumping the gun and not covering my bases.

7. Thanks From:

Chuck, you're a class act.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

'Class Act'??

Shooting someone, then saying 'Sorry, I messed up??'

I wonder what would have happened if Rematt wasn't here to keep Chuck honest...

Chuck should be offering Rematt a bit of his salary for doing his job for him..

Chuck made a mistake and quickly corrected it. Surely you don't expect people to be perfect?

I've found that you learn far more about people from how they handle their mistakes than you do if you never seen them make mistakes.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Chuck made a mistake and quickly corrected it. Surely you don't expect people to be perfect?

I've found that you learn far more about people from how they handle their mistakes than you do if you never seen them make mistakes.
    Amen! Chuck could have totally ignored the error or corrected it in private. He chose to apologize publicly after making the correction.

As Michael said, no-ones perfect, it's how you deal with your mistakes that defines who you are.

-rematt

And perhaps how you deal with other people's mistakes.....
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I'm curious if Chuck reached out to this affiliate BEFORE reversing all those sales?

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmMe
    I'm curious if Chuck reached out to this affiliate BEFORE reversing all those sales?
    Why are you playing devil's advocate here????

Sounds like you should take your opinions somewhere that they are needed...

Sounds like this is getting worked out....

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

He's welcome to share his opinion and ask tough questions. I think it can help to understand the challenges that affiliate managers face.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    He's welcome to share his opinion.
    Share away....

I was sharing mine...... -

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )

I understand ABW is like a family. As such, people often defend 'family members' without looking at the situation through unbiased eyes.

Here we have an affiliate manager that:

1) Reversed well earned commissions
    2) Filed a network complaint about the affiliate
    3) Removed the affiliate from the program

Way before taking ANY of those steps, let alone all three, the manager should have contacted the affiliate and discussed the issues.

If Chuck attempted to contact, with no success, then he did ok in my book (except he still botched not updating the Trademark rules at GAN).

If, instead, he never tried to contact the affiliate, or worse yet, he did the three steps noted above BEFORE attempting to contact the affiliate, then Chuck rightly deserves all of the negative attention he may encounter from here on.

I'm just saying that telling people to go away ("Sounds like you should take your opinions somewhere that they are needed...") isn't very productive. Dissenting opinions, when expressed civily, are welcome and encouraged here.

There are some very good reasons that affiliate managers often don't tell affiliates why they're being terminated or give them warnings when they're breaking the rules (or in this case, what Chuck intended the rule to be), and by asking the question that he did ("I'm curious if Chuck reached out to this affiliate BEFORE reversing all those sales?"), I think some of those reasons will be explained.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Quote Originally Posted by IAmMe
    I understand ABW is like a family. As such, people often defend 'family members' without looking at the situation through unbiased eyes.
    Are you kiddin' me. You need to read some of the fights that Chuck and I have had. But even though we disagree on a lot of topics (he's always wrong), I have to respect someone that publicly admits to a mistake and makes the necessary corrections WITHOUT EXCUSES.

Could the entire situation have been handled better? Absolutely. But then we wouldn't have anything to argue about this morning.

-rematt

21. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    If this is who I think it is you were first caught on the 1st in CJ trademark bidding on another merchant. Yesterday I found 118 ads going back to the first of December for 1000Bulbs. A network complaint has been filed, you have been removed from the program. Our trademark policy is posted here: http://1000bulbs.affiliatecrew.com/terms.php
    It actually sounds like Chuck may have been dealing with this for a couple of months. Caught the person cheating in another program and dismissed them when they were caught in this one. Not over-reacting in my opinion, likely reached out previously to make sure the affiliate knew the rules. The affiliate obviously knew the rules as Chuck didn't post them where they should be and the affiliate took advantage of it.

Due to a technicality the affiliate gets re-instated and his commissions back. If he does it again he will be rightfully dismissed again. (I hope)

This all presupposes this person is the same person that Chuck found in December of course.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

FIRST! I get irritated when someone slams an entire program, because they can't get their shit together..

Been keeping my eye on Chuck for 2 1/2 years now and know him to be a good AM.

He should be held accountable, but I think it is imperative that we give him the respect he has earned.

I don't like seeing an affiliate manager screw an affiliate, even unintentionally. Chuck may do a lot of good things, and always try his best, but there are serious questions here and Chuck has failed to answer them. Until he lays out exactly how he handled this situation, in detail, I (and possibly others) will be forced to keep a sharp eye on him.

When will Chuck answer these important questions?!?

IAmMe, I have a strict 2 strikes and you are out policy. When I first found MaketheMoney in violation of the Register.com policy he was warned. He complied with the policy and is still in the program.

When I found him (allegedly) in violation of the 1000Bulbs policy it was a second strike for the same type of offense. My policy is and in particular for trademark violations, to expunge an affiliate from all programs I manage when found a second time.

In the last 120 days I have caught over 30 trademark poachers on all of my major brands. They have followed a consistent pattern to use registered trademark symbol or "The Official" in concert with the trademark. I have spent over 100 hrs going through the paces and have been doing this for over three years. Now am using a sophisticated screening tool that records violations, [removed] and [removed].

1000Bulbs.Com - Official Site
    Looking For Light Bulbs? Largest Supplier of Light Bulbs On The Net.
    10000Bulbs.com
    Approximately 10 days ago, after having several merchants call about trade mark violations, I modified my monitors to include every trademark. Previously, I was only able to monitor 5 at a time but have two dozen in total.

We are screening all trademark policies and documenting the information on our site, in the network and what affiliates see. There are several places that the information is posted and it is not consistent between networks. This is not a Google only issue but have see it across all top networks.

Am in the process of restoring MaketheMoney in all accounts and re-instating any reversed commissions. If there are any unanswered questions please continue the dialog. I have apologized several times for my personal mistake and perhaps you can understand what AM/OPM's deal when it comes to policing our programs.
    Last edited by MichaelColey; February 16th, 2010 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Removed list of specific techniques - No sense letting people know how they're caught.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    In the last 120 days I have caught over 30 trademark poachers on all of my major brands.
    Were other affiliates removed from the 1000bulbs.com program and commissions reversed despite following the rules as stated in GAN's Advertiser Info, as happened to MaketheMoney, and have they now been reinstated and their commissions returned as well?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    "There are some very good reasons that affiliate managers often don't tell affiliates why they're being terminated or give them warnings when they're breaking the rules"

I'm not following that one. I figure if an affiliate is getting terminated, they have every right to know why. And it could be a very good reason, it could be a mistake.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast