Has anyone used "WF Review" or "WPReviewSite"?
    I just noticed a tweet mentioning a product called "WFReview" (reviewpluginforwordpress-dot-com) which purports to import product datafeeds into "reviews" in WordPress blogs. I've never heard of it before, but it claims to have 1,300 customers and identifies the current version as 3.1.

My initial impression was that it's seeking to compete with WebMerge or the Cumbrowski scripts, not with PopShops or Datafeedr, but I really can't tell without spending time (which I can't spare right now). From a very brief glance at the example sites, I can't really understand what this product actually does, nor how it assigns its "review scores."

The site contains no meaningful contact information -- there is no company name, no "about us" or "contact us" (and it's a private domain registration). Payment is accepted only via PayPal (with the payee being "sales-at-reviewpluginforwordpress-dot-com" which PayPal displays as "Char Tess LLC"). In the forum section of the site, it appears that "Lucas Carlson" is the owner. (Some quick tracing: I found the same individual and entity name in the domain registration for a utility-software web site at Amictools-dot-com, which lists an address but no phone number; from that address, I found two wedding-registry domains which are registered under Lucas Carlson's wife's maiden name).

Has anyone had any experience or feedback about this product?
    Last edited by markwelch; February 11th, 2010 at 01:12 PM.

After a little more research, I now wonder if "WFReview" is a successor (or alias) for a product called "wpReviewSite-dot-com" which Mr. Carlson mentioned on another site called "flippingsage-dot-com."

http and a telephoto
    I've been testing WFReview and it does a couple of things, the price is steep IMO, but if it does what it purports to do, it's worth it. The use that is best for affiliates is that it will import *any* csv file. The site shows that you can created posts from product datafeeds, and their are videos on the site that show how to import Shareasale feeds. You make a post template, you can schedule the posts to post into the past, the current day or into the future, and with the latest release you can schedule a post to become inactive or deleted.

In addition to using it for product feeds, like WebMerge has always said, you can also import a feed of information, like a yellow pages directory to create a site that is targeted to sell ads to local businesses but you need to "load up" your site with listings before you can go selling ads. There is a video showing that as well.

The reviews component is powerful, but probably would be considered spammy, you can create some reviews so that your site is prepopulated with reviews. So you can add a random number of randomly generated reviews to your posts, either for just a specific category or your whole site.

I am looking at it just for the datafeed import capabilities, it isn't perfect yet, but Lucas (who just bought the software from someone else) is very responsive to requests and to bug reports. The software creates categories from your feed if you have a category field, but that was causing issues for me on existing sites. It was great on brand new empty WP installs. There is a thread in the support forum about the category issue.

Overall it is better than a lot of what I have seen out there, but it won't work on GoDaddy hosted sites, and you would need to check your hosting against their requirements first.

When they get it to a point where I would recommend it, then I will let my affiliates know about it. It has a lot of potential. There are other plugins out there that do similar things, but this one had the highest reviews and I actually found it when Shawn Collins tweeted a link to a post where the prior owner was giving the plugin to people that donated to a worthy cause around Christmas. I make contributions year round, so supported the author by just purchasing the dev version which allows use on unlimited sites.

I liked the idea of giving for giving, and I watched the videos and was impressed enough to jump in. I actually want to use it for some community sites to import datafeeds of information that I have gathered or others have.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Hello, this is Lucas Carlson, owner of WF Review. I am a professional computer programmer. Here is my linked in http://www.linkedin.com/in/lucascarlson

I purchased WF Review a bit over a month ago and have been building features as quickly as I can. Here is my outline for upcoming features: http://www.ReviewPluginForWordpress.com/wfreview-ultra/

To clear up a few points, WF Review does actually work with Godaddy. Here are the instructions for how to set it up: http://www.reviewpluginforwordpress.....php/t-72.html

You bring up some good points, I will add an about us soon, but WF Review is definitely not a scam, and in fact you can try it free for 7 days without paying a penny. The trial is fully functioning. It is the best of breed for software of its kind and I am putting a lot of work into adding as many features as possible, and all upgrades are free for life.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I purchased the plugin while it was under the previous ownership with a little hesitation as it seemed to be promoted as a tool to create wordpress sites with 'fake' reviews. My concern of course was this was when all of the FTC issues were coming around. I saw a tool that could be used by mainstream affiliates as a way to create a quality site without the review aspect since it could import datafeeds. Unfortunately I didn't get much support from the previous owner in moving the plugin toward mainstream affiliates. Not his fault, I don't think he actually did the programming.

When Lucas purchased the script I reached out to him and he was very willing to listen to my suggestions and has already implemented several. The script now imports with pipe delimited datafeeds instead of only comma delimited. Also the expiration of posts which is vital for one use... mainstream affiliates can guess that use.

The plugin has a little ways to go, but Lucas is putting forth an incredible amount of effort and I appreciate his direct contact regarding the squashing of bugs and the speed with which he is moving this plugin.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Quote Originally Posted by cardmagic
    ...and all upgrades are free for life.
    I just caught this part... Lucas you really know how to open a can of worms don't you?
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Addressing Marks question, WPreviewsite is a different plugin from Wfreview. I own both, both do basically the same thing a little differently.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Also, regarding the price, you can get 25% off if you use the coupon code 25OFF.

http and a telephoto
    Thanks for coming over Lucas, I was going to ping you to come checkin but then got busy and actually figured you would get a Google Alert I wouldn't even discuss your product if I thought it was a scam.

As far as using it on GoDaddy hosting, you have a solution that may or may not work, depending... I think it is smarter for people to use other hosting with sites that they plan to use your plugin on. That's my recommendation. But then again I am not a fan of GoDaddy hosting and recommend people go elsewhere with serious sites.

(Lucas, you and I have had emails about the category issue, in case you might not have connected the name here to the emails we've exchanged.)
    Deborah Carney

Thank you for the welcome! I would love to hear any ideas to make WF Review even better for mainstream affiliates.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly

(Lucas, you and I have had emails about the category issue, in case you might not have connected the name here to the emails we've exchanged.)
    Glad to know it's not just me. The latest version still seems to be have a problem with putting posts in existing categories.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

I'm the author of WP Review Site. It is not an alias or in any way connected to WF Review. WP Review Site was the first plugin in this space, and the original author of WF Review's explicitly stated goal was to copy it. Coming from that more black hat affiliate forum I won't name here, he added all the fake review features, which I have no intention of ever providing. I don't help people make sites that trick people into clicking affiliate links by automatically generating fake ratings and reviews.

My name and contact information is listed on every page of the site, and I fully support the product. It is not encoded with some kind of obfuscator and call-home DRM like WF review, you get a normal WP plugin and themes that you can modify however you'd like for your own use, and any upgrades that become available for free forever.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I am using Dan's "WP Review Site" plugin with one of my wordpress sites. It is a nice little plugin that allows you to quickly transform your site into a review site for any product you want to review.

knight01, the category bug is fixed in 3.1.5. Dan, WF Review does not do a call-home DRM and WF Review is about to release modifiable themes as well. WF Review is also free upgrades forever.

Welcome to ABW, Lucas and Dan! It's great to get such immediate and helpful feedback (not just from you, but from others here who are evaluating and using your tools).

I've spent a lot of time and effort over the past 4 years[/url] trying to find useful datafeed-management tools that will meet my needs. (For links to some past discussions of my efforts, see this post; more recently my immediate focus has been on the "merchant management" functionality.

It sounds like both of these solutions are "something like" a page generator (like WebMerge, but for WordPress), which isn't really what I'm seeking -- but maybe I don't understand what they're doing.

My problem, over the past 12+ years, has been that after I create content (reviews, etc.) with links to affiliate-programs, it becomes increasingly difficult to maintain & update the associated links (dropping links for merchants who no longer offer the product, adding new links for merchants who do offer it, as well as updating price & other factual info). I'm curious how your tools handle datafeed updates? Specifically, what happens when a product that has active pages (or reviews) is dropped from a merchant's datafeed? Do these tools provide any mechanism to "match up" similar or identical products offered by different merchants?

WP Review Site is not any kind of page generator or manager. It does not read any data feeds or create websites for you. It is a plugin for WordPress to add custom Amazon.com-style user ratings (with multiple dimensions) and reviews to all or part of a site without writing any code.

The only reason you would want it is if:

a) Your site runs on WordPress
    b) You want to allow site visitors to leave ratings and reviews

I think the demo site shows well how it applies in an affiliate marketing context.

Thanks, Dan -- now I have a better understanding of what your product does.

I know that many web publishers definitely like this type of functionality (after all, Amazon's incorporation of consumer reviews has been a huge "plus"), but it's not really something I'm seeking.

In fact, I've found that this functionality is a magnet for deceptive marketers (not your fault, of course -- but it's a huge responsibility to keep a site "clean" and useful, by purging invalid and duplicate "review" content, and figuring out how to deal with "unhelpful" reviews [too brief, vague, etc.] and copyright-infringement issues).

And of course, it's hard to aggregate a meaningful amount of valid feedback from consumers. That's why it's so tempting (to some folks) to "seed" their sites with fake "reviews," which I think most ABW members would agree is unethical. (Sites with fake or superficial reviews also flunk my "relevant and useful" litmus test for effective web sites.)
    Last edited by markwelch; February 12th, 2010 at 01:31 PM.

markwelch: Keeping datafeeds up to date is exactly what WF Review is excellent at. WF Review will take your feed, create blog posts from it, and optionally will keep re-importing the data at scheduled times to keep your posts up to date. You specify which column in the CSV you want to be your unique identifier and from there on out WF Review will take care of the rest.

Lucas, what happens if a product is dropped from a merchant's datafeed? (I'm assuming that there is no way to incorporate product content from multiple merchant feeds into a single page.)

Dropped products from datafeeds is a very difficult problem, however I think I might be able to add it to the 4.0 features that will be released on the 20th. Incorporating product content from multiple merchant feeds into a single page is a feature that I already have working in beta and will be released soon.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    Lucas, what happens if a product is dropped from a merchant's datafeed? (I'm assuming that there is no way to incorporate product content from multiple merchant feeds into a single page.)
    If you get creative with the datafeeds you can create a template that will include whatever info is in your datafeed in any layout you want.

However price and product comparison is what I think you are getting at and if you read the WF Review forums you will see it is a much requested feature.

Dan, thanks for clarifying your product as well. What I see WFReveiw being used for by product based affiliates is the datafeed import options and the review segment is actually not important the way it is currently coded. I see these as two different plugins that accomplish two different things.
    Deborah Carney

Price and product comparison are two of the features I am most exited to release in 4.0 coming out on February 20th.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread