Anyone has experience with HostGator's Linux VPS Hosting?
    I heard HostGator is reliable. The it is not cheap compared to GoDaddy where I am now.

Its dedicated server is too expensive. I saw "HostGator's Linux VPS Hosting" as an alternative. But is it a dedicated server or shared server? That product page is unclear about this.

By definition, it's a shared server. VPS stands for "Virtual Private Server," which means that it "seems like" a private or dedicated server, but in fact you are sharing CPU and other resources with other customers.

One key question to ask is, "how can I determine what system resources I am using and whether I am approaching a limit?" This is usually easy for things like disk usage, but much harder for CPU usage. I had some major headaches while working on my datafeed-import scripts, because the VPS solution I used (eApps) didn't have any effective way to throttle my CPU usage -- eventually I modified my PHP script to avoid excessive resource usage [by executing a wait() command after every NN records], but this required a lot of experimenting.

It's also worthwhile to ask what the actual hardware is, and how many other accounts will be running on the same CPU. You probably won't get an answer, and if you do get an answer I doubt you'd be able to verify if it was true.

Thank you Mark. Now I am thinking about dedicated server. If I rent a dedicated server in one of the hosting companies, can I host multiple domains in that dedicated server?

In the past we had few servers from Hostgator, we moved to Liquidweb.
    Liquidweb has great support (30 minute SLA)

Quote Originally Posted by talentcn
    Thank you Mark. Now I am thinking about dedicated server. If I rent a dedicated server in one of the hosting companies, can I host multiple domains in that dedicated server?
    With a dedicated server, you do pretty much what ever you want on the thing, depending on the company. Hosting multiple domains is a great use of extra resources you're getting with your own box. Often, people get a dedicated not for the extra space, but to prevent being brought down by other users on the same server, so get your moneys worth and fill that puppy up!

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread