Blogging With Social Bookmarking
    Is it alright to do some blog commenting and leave my name, but where it says url put my digg link to my page digg,mix, . I am unsure and don't want to do anything wrong, so I figured I would ask>

Unless the site you are commenting on has a TON of traffic and the post you are commenting on is also heavily trafficked, I don't personally see the value in it. The biggest benefit for link-backs is the link itself, not handful of visitors you will get from it.

That being said, I don't really see a problem with it. The site owner may see it differently and remove your link, remove your comment, or if they think you are a spammer, they may just block you entirely. Tread carefully.

ok, just wondering and didn't want to make other webmasters mad. So maybe do half and half. Only the social bookmarking thing on HIGH traffic blogs. Other than that, just do a normal link. Sorry dumb question.

http and a telephoto
    It isn't a dumb question, and I would answer with, always drive traffic back to a site under your control. What if the social bookmarking site goes under? You lose any value you would have gotten.

People may or may not click the link, people that click it that have to follow yet another link to get to the content may be annoyed and although they were originally interested may never come back.

I see a lot of tweets from facebook that go to a facebook note that has no more info than the tweet and then have to find the link to the original info. Too many clicks and no one benefits. Most people abandon somewhere along the way.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

It's not a dumb question, not at all...

I had another thought on it based on your reply, assuming you have links on your blog out to these 3rd party sites you are trying to get traffic to, wouldn't it make more sense to send all the links to your main site and then let the visitors find your other accounts via your own site? This gives your site the best bang for your buck from a link-juice standpoint and if they "meet" you first, they may be more interested in checking out your other content sources.

Or, another thought, if the site has NOFOLLOW links, point those at your 3rd party sites.

I don't see any problem with it, but aren't most of those links no-follow anyways? I thought the main benefit was the traffic, not the "link-juice"...

Good advice everyone. I do want some nofollow links to, just so it looks for natural. I try to not to do everything too much, just keep it balanced.

ABW Ambassador
    Most links on blog comments are nofollws, so no real backlinks there.

But its not all in vein. With real, honest, original comments, you will generate exposure to your site and respect. And you will get some traffic back to your site from those comments. And some of that traffic that discovered you may stick, if you have original content on your site. It depends on how good your own site is.

Even if you disagree with a certain post, disagree respectfully, and explain why. It will still be a better comment than the one liner 'I like your post'.

Yeah, there is a lot of hype about noFollows blogs. Again, I did want to try this social bookmarker tactic and see how it works. I know that digg, mixx, and are really great PR backlinks. So 5 a month from each would help my sites

hay when I type in it has a with a spinning hat LOL. That is awesome!

blog commenting is worthy when it has lots of visitors or provides dofollow link.
    Last edited by betty10; March 15th, 2010 at 06:55 AM.

Yeah, I agree to betty10. You can still get backlinks from blog commenting if it's dofollow.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    It isn't a dumb question, and I would answer with, always drive traffic back to a site under your control. What if the social bookmarking site goes under? You lose any value you would have gotten.
    I totally agree with what Loxly has said here -- you're always better off entering your own site's URL to reap the benefits that way, than simply adding another link towards Digg. In the short term it might work better, though in the long term you're always better giving yourself the link.
    [B][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=3]50% Recurring Commission on SAS! -- Up To $98.50 Per Sale, Per Month![/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
    [B]ALL-NEW[/B] SAS Social Media Marketing Program: [URL=http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=26086]Join AlphaHype.net NOW![/URL]
    [URL=http://alphahype.net/]AlphaHype website[/URL]. [URL=http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=603]ABW dedicated affiliate forum[/URL].

[B]Dani Evans[/B] -- AlphaHype.net Affiliate Program Manager. [B]email:[/B] dani (at) alphahype.net

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silver93350 View Post
    Good advice everyone. I do want some nofollow links to, just so it looks for natural. I try to not to do everything too much, just keep it balanced.
    This doesn't make much sense to me. You don't control the nofollow/follow so it makes it sound like you are intentionally trying to find sites wtih nofollow to comment on so it looks like you blog there as well as "follow" sites. Comment and hang out on other sites that have followers that would be your ideal customers -- follow or no follow.

I agree with Loxly and Dani - market your own sites, not digg or others.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread