"Google zombies mistake news story for Facebook"
    Apparently plenty of facebook users can't find facebook without using google.

*But google sent them to another site ranked #1 for 'facebook login' search...instead of facebook.

*Now they are having trouble logging into facebook...except they're on the other site. pages of angry comments, etc.

*The 'other site' even tries to help them out with a lesson on how to get to facebook...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02...ernet_gateway/

Oh that's brilliant.

Check out the comment at http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...comment-189249
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, these people are out among us. I kind of feel like we should round them up and drop them off in a state we're not using much, like one of the Dakotas and then seal it, for the sake of mankind.

Having been involved with Instructional Technology for a dozen years in my former career, I have seen [supposedly] well educated people doing things exactly like that. I have even heard some of the same types of comments - after watching them type the name of a site, NOT the domain name, into the address bar and hit enter. Many people (far too many) have no concept of typing an actual domain name into an address bar.

Quite a while back I had an IT director (6-figure salary) chew me out because a site for which I had oversight did not fit the width of a normal screen. Started chewing me out, that is, until I showed him how to click the little "x" to close the History window on the left. (back in the days of 1024px wide screens)

On the other hand I have seen people who actually try searching for something by typing [their] "SearchTerm.com" into the address bar - and be frequently surprised at where they end up. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Yeah, these people are out among us. I kind of feel like we should round them up and drop them off in a state we're not using much, like one of the Dakotas and then seal it, for the sake of mankind.
    I am a Medical Doctor (MD), and I spend plenty of time around computers, and a lot of time on the internet for research. If a person with my education and experience can't figure out how to log into your website, you may want to consider YET ANOTHER redesign. I was quite satisfied with your previous layout, and I would recommend that you revert to it. I see from other comments that I am not alone in my opinion! Take care to listen to your customers, please.
    Scary, aint it?

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    The truth is that normally typing the domain word in the search box and hitting enter is less characters than typing it in the url line with a ".com" at the end. You save two characters and the return key is easy to find.

Dont know why these people are adding "login". Its not like you cant just login from the homepage of FB.

Added:
    After reading several pages of the comments remind me to never advertise on Facebook again.

I wonder how much Readwriteweb made on adsense and advertising.

You think this is a total accident?

I have noticed a lot of other news sites trying to game "facebook login" in the same way.

Actually, get Google News right and it can be a good source of traffic, even if it's usually for something that you can't sell 'em.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

This example is one reason when people try to convince me to get all the new bells and whistles on my website, I say no. Gotta keep it simple for a lot of people. Just because it looks cool doesn't mean it will be usable for the general shopping public.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    ...usable for the general shopping public.
    Who generally are complete idiots!

We rely on them to earn a living?

No wonder so many people try to scam, it must be quite easy to fool a lot of people

I think this all goes back to the decision to distribute AOL CDs at Wal-Mart. The Internet just hasn't been the same since then.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Is this a joke! Maybe they forgot how to spell facebook. Sound it out....lol
    [URL=http://www.the-best-web-hosting-service.com/]Best Web Hosting Service[/URL] [COLOR=Blue]- Quality Reviews![/COLOR]

It is funny....and scary at the same time. Agree with Flamingoworld...stick to the basics. It's painfully obvious that if your site causes readers to think at all, you'll lose them. My motto for future site design is going to be "point & click."
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

CPA Network Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd
    It is funny....and scary at the same time. Agree with Flamingoworld...stick to the basics. It's painfully obvious that if your site causes readers to think at all, you'll lose them. My motto for future site design is going to be "point & click."
    Point & Click...genius JoyUnltd! You patent that one yet? The convenience of Google search has made the internet user lazy, (or lazier I should say). When the average person is looking for something online, they expect to find it fast. Cause them to think for a second longer than they anticipated, and you're right- you will most likely lose them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Mishner
    ...When the average person is looking for something online, they expect to find it fast. Cause them to think for a second longer than they anticipated, and you're right- you will most likely lose them.
    Think Olympics medal winners: often, it's only hundreths of a second that gets them on the podium. Trim the fat, keep it lean & mean.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Google Zombies - that could make a neat sci-fi spoof! A world taken over by Google. We all sleep in pods and cook our meals with the help of Google Apps. We have tele-phones in every home - telescreens in the form of i-phones. At least we should.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

At first I was laughing heartily about people trying to login to facebook at RWW. It IS funny.

But then I found myself not laughing anymore. There is a huge disclaimer, and thousands of comments and people STILL don't get that they are not on facebook. It's more scary and/or depressing than funny.

I can understand if some people aren't internet savvy and use google to find sites. I've actually watched my mom do this. I set her up her own site where she can blog, and she does a good job of it. BUT--to get to her site, she googles it. I had to explain to her that those analytics numbers might be a little skewed... She gets confused with the address bar and the google search bar right beside the address bar. Ok, it's understandable--not everyone spends all day online like most of us.

BUT!! When you are spoon fed with the disclaimer, and thousands of people are pointing out your mistake and you STILL don't get it...how depressing is our culture. So many people don't read anything, so many people have forgotten how to THINK. So many!!

Doesn't that depress you guys? It's not just that people are stupid (some are), and it's not that they are inheritently lazy (a lot are), it is more that we have been brainwashed as a society that we don't have to use our noggin anymore. Someone somewhere will do the thinking for us, why should we bother? Whether I agree with you on what I should think depends on if others tell me it's a good thing or not.

To be honest, it really scares me.

I think it IS scary. I don't know if people are getting stupider, kinda doubt that. But I do think everything is getting more complicated and fragmented.

How many people get their new tech toy and read the instructions thru to the end? I don't.

People who have NO techy tendencies get a computer and tend to think of it like an appliance, like a refrigerator. But it isn't a refrigerator. Screw up with a computer and prepare for major consequences. forever.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I think it is true that fewer and fewer people can read and use critical thinking skills, but, as was mentioned, in some cases people are using the search box to get their domain. It can be quicker than entering the whole URL and if you have a zillion bookmarks already it is also quicker than bookmarking. Personally, I will sometimes enter the first few letters of the domain and my FF browser immediately brings up the site URL. (I do that to go to Facebook in fact!)

As a way of seeing how popular your site "brand" is, enter your domain.com (or someone else's) at http://tools.seobook.com/keyword-tools/seobook/ or some other such tool. Multiply that daily number by about 300 to see about how many actual visitors you get.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I think this all goes back to the decision to distribute AOL CDs at Wal-Mart. The Internet just hasn't been the same since then.
    LOL. I missed this comment previously.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Reminds me too of June 2008, when a kid caught an alligator gar in Arizona. The newspaper called it a "fishgator", which is the title of my kayak fishing blog.

Suffice to say, I saw a spike in traffic that completely ruined my graphical traffic charts for the whole year. And plenty of people sent me emails saying that I was a jerk for not having the story on my site, and tricking them into coming.

So, I added the story. Along with some Wikipedia details of what an alligator gar is etc.

It died down in about a week, but I still see an occasional visitor looking for that story or picture.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    I will sometimes enter the first few letters of the domain and my FF browser immediately brings up the site URL. (I do that to go to Facebook in fact!)
    I do the same. Firefox's awesome bar makes it so easy. I always tell my self I'm over using keystrokes vrs. having it in a bookmark but it's more of a habit now than anything to just type the first few letters.

Speaking of Facebook...
    Gotta love The Oatmeal's creative mesh of Facebook plus Myspace:

Faceplace

Gotta love The Oatmeal

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    wow, how do you not know its facebook. Either people are getting dumber or website owners are.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

Actually.. thinking about it.. the people who confuse Facebook for a news article about Facebook are probably the same people who generate most of our income!

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread