Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pagerank Update
    Does anyone know when the Google PR is update next. I know that it is updated everyday internally, but when is updated exteranlly. Is it every 4 months or is that information incorrect?
    [URL=http://www.the-best-web-hosting-service.com/]Best Web Hosting Service[/URL] [COLOR=Blue]- Quality Reviews![/COLOR]

I haven't checked my pagerank in months.
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

yeah, just wondering. I know it isn't that important
    [URL=http://www.the-best-web-hosting-service.com/]Best Web Hosting Service[/URL] [COLOR=Blue]- Quality Reviews![/COLOR]

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silver93350
    yeah, just wondering. I know it isn't that important
    It's WAY important if you want to know how goog sees you with their spiders I think...

While goog holds over a 60% share of the search market, I'm inclined to believe I want to know what they are doing....

I had an update in December 09 that enhanced PR on 2 of my sites.

Prolly won't see anything else for a while..

But!

I've been proven wrong many times here. ( snagafraga#^$#^# )

When it comes to goog, I think they get bored and flip a coin!

If you want to follow things a little closer, you may want to check out Matt Cutts...

Love him or hate him, he's on the front lines and knows more than I do...

Good Luck!

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Cool thanks a lot. I will follow him. What I meant by not important is, it's not the only thing that Google looks at when ranking your site. Not to say that it is NOT important.

Yeah, I went from a PR1 to PR4 Dec 31st, so I will be waiting by the computer and hitting the refresh button....lol

Matt Cutts was quoted on This Week in Tech (or was it This Week in Google? I forget) as saying that PageRank is (I'm paraphrasing here) basically meaningless and on its way out. I'll see if I can dig up the quote, but it confirmed what a lot of people have suspected for a long time - that Google doesn't care nearly as much about PR as some SEO wonks would have you think.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Cool Daniel, that is the point I was trying to make. I try not to get overly concerned with my PR and just do backlink building and provide people with great content. I have really found out over the years that some great content can really go a long way!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel M. Clark
    Matt Cutts was quoted on This Week in Tech (or was it This Week in Google? I forget) as saying that PageRank is (I'm paraphrasing here) basically meaningless and on its way out. I'll see if I can dig up the quote, but it confirmed what a lot of people have suspected for a long time - that Google doesn't care nearly as much about PR as some SEO wonks would have you think.
    Totally agree Dan...

But until they phase it out, I'm grabbing the short hairs on the monster my friend ...

I used to think I was an SEO God....

Used to be able to get 10 G's and more to romp thru a site and get them indexed with great results.

Some SEO rules will never change...

Across the board... ( urls, tags, title, descrip, url and such )

Nowadays, I'm not as confident as I used to be and don't want to change strategies and start SEO for the Bing / Yahoo crap...

Goog still rules and their PR is still in place....

Gotta change WITH THE FLOW, not before it happens ..... IMHO.

Don't want to jump the shark while you are still in the boat -

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )

By the way silver dude -

That spamming is a little on the heavy side...

Don't think it will last long if you keep it up....

sorry not trying to come off that way.

Quote Originally Posted by silver93350
    sorry not trying to come off that way.
    It could be me....

Folks coming over from those other forums ( YES, most of us have been to them ) just make me nervous....

Don't know whether to answer your questions or run like hell..

You have privs before the 250 mark, and those must have been given to you from someone ( mod ) that thought you had something to contribute ...

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and rescind if they will let you get away with that sig..

There are worse here....

But most of them have earned that right with 1000's of quality posts...

Not me of course..

I'm sure I have 4 or 5 quality posts, but they don't come up with the search function -

Welcome Back to ABW!

Thanks that means a lot to me.

Moderator Note: The official policy on signatures is that they're limited to three lines, with no images, affiliate links or offensive sites. Please compress your signature to comply
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ok, sorry Michael. Honest mistake I will make adjustments right now

While Goog says it's meaningless they decided not to remove it from toolbars. Hmmm, I think it's still meaningful.

Outsourced Program Manager DaveAMWSO's Avatar
    I think it's only meaningful and left in the toolbar as it gets people talking about it and talking about Google
    [B]Dave Oliver[/B] - AMWSO Affiliate Program Management Team
    [URL=http://www.amwso.com]www.amwso.com[/URL] | dave [at] amwso.com | AIM: DaveOliPM | Twitter: [URL=https://twitter.com/daveolipm]@daveolipm[/URL] |
    Programs: [URL=http://www.amwso.com/artoftea.php] Art of Tea[/URL] | [URL=http://www.amwso.net/affiliatet/eachbuyer-affiliate-program/]Eachbuyer[/URL] | [URL=https://www.facebook.com/amwso]AMWSO FB[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by bibby
    While Goog says it's meaningless they decided not to remove it from toolbars. Hmmm, I think it's still meaningful.
    You're certainly welcome to think that.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Daniel.......

I like chasing your opinions around here at times....

What my question to YOU is...

Are you a dumbass?

Goog has a 60% share of the search market ...... PLUS!

You can hate 'em.....

But the facts are that you have to optomize for them if you want to be successful in todays organic traffic playing field......

Who said we shouldn't optimize for them or otherwise chase rankings? lol
    No, I'm talking strictly about PageRank here. According to Google, it's been devalued. As such, regardless of whether or not its been removed from the Google Toolbar yet, it's virtually worthless.

I don't hate Google... I think they're too powerful and trending away from their "don't be evil" mantra, but I don't hate them. I wish we didn't have to dance to their tune and play by their rules (rules that they themselves ignore more often than not), but I don't hate them. Hate is such a strong word
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Who said we shouldn't optimize for them or otherwise chase rankings? lol
    No, I'm talking strictly about PageRank here. According to Google, it's been devalued. As such, regardless of whether or not its been removed from the Google Toolbar yet, it's virtually worthless.

I don't hate Google... I think they're too powerful and trending away from their "don't be evil" mantra, but I don't hate them. I wish we didn't have to dance to their tune and play by their rules (rules that they themselves ignore more often than not), but I don't hate them. Hate is such a strong word

Ya ever think that it may be easier to dance to their rules ?????

If goog shows your sites the " LOVE " , then you can make cash on the internet without PPC, if you choose to limit your revenue...

Google allows " well optomized sites " to make cash, be relevant, and grow...

Outsourced Program Manager DaveAMWSO's Avatar
    I kind of equate folks that think Pagerank is still relevant to the folks who carried on insisting the world was flat in Galileo's time. Despite all the evidence to the contrary, the belief is still held for some period of time, "because that is what they heard in the past."

Let's take a look and grab some random keyword phrase and look at the SERP (search engine results placement) in Google.

Keyword phrase: buy lawn chairs

Now for me, the top 6 results are dominated by PR 0-2 sites. It's not till the 7th result to I get a "lawn chair" focused PR 6 site.

If I have a PR 9 site, with nothing about "tourism in Egypt" on my site, then I guarantee I'll never show up in any SERP related to tourism and egypt.

Grab ANY keyword combination and I'll guarantee you'll see lower PR ranked sites placing above higher PR ranked sites. So what is the value?

So how exactly does PR (specifically PR) help anyone make money without PPC? Ahhh....unless you are selling links.

I believe the only thing PR tell you, is that a site/page has been around for a while (longer = higher PR) and that it has a bunch of links pointing to it. What relevance those links have, is inconsequential.

Link sellers use is as a way to try and say the links coming from their sites carry more "juice". Jury is kinda out on that. Keyword relevance and "trust" are much more important, and the "trust" Google applies to a site is not related at all to Pagerank.
    [B]Dave Oliver[/B] - AMWSO Affiliate Program Management Team
    [URL=http://www.amwso.com]www.amwso.com[/URL] | dave [at] amwso.com | AIM: DaveOliPM | Twitter: [URL=https://twitter.com/daveolipm]@daveolipm[/URL] |
    Programs: [URL=http://www.amwso.com/artoftea.php] Art of Tea[/URL] | [URL=http://www.amwso.net/affiliatet/eachbuyer-affiliate-program/]Eachbuyer[/URL] | [URL=https://www.facebook.com/amwso]AMWSO FB[/URL]

In an industry full of people that are their own bosses, what on earth makes you think any of us really want to dance to their tune? It might be easier to give up control of our fates to Google, but that doesn't mean it's palatable. How many sob stories have we heard about delistings? So many that there's a term, the Google Slap, for it. They have the power to crush a business simply by changing something in their algorithm (and don't get me started on whether or not they'd do that maliciously). That may be a fact of life these days, but that doesn't make it any easier to accept.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

It's meaningful and important if Google will still update page rank in its toolbar. Why? Surfers (millions of them) who have it on their toolbar will still use it as a measure of a site's importance, even if Google tells SEO's/SEM's that it's not.

If a surfer comes to a site with a PR of 4 shown in their toolbar and then goes to a similar site with a PR of 7, is it meaningful?

Of course it is.
    If Google really wants Page Rank to be meaningless, they must remove it from every source possible. Otherwise it will always be viewed as an importance indicator by surfers.

I am basically set on I shouldn't be to concerned with a good PR seeing how it really will not help. Case and point, your lawn chair search. So, I guess it has more to do with your traffic value and relevance. The way it was explained to me is any places (site) you get backlinks from come with a something called a "traffic value", in essence some of their traffic value gets dumped into your site when you obtain a backlink from them. I was just a little unclear on that because I talk to people all the time that seem to go ape nuts on their Google PR.

Quote Originally Posted by bibby
    It's meaningful and important if Google will still update page rank in its toolbar.
    And yet Google only updates the PR in the toolbar a few times a year. Anyone who places any importance on PR knows this. So what value does it have? It's not current (potentially months behind), and there are tons of metrics that are more trustworthy.

A user might see the number in their toolbar and think that a page is more important because it has a higher PR, but they'd be just as wrong as if they had thought that the page is more important because it has a polka-dotted background.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast