More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    WordPress Privacy Settings?
    I just set up some blogs for some friends and myself recently and discovered that my Privacy Settings were defaulted to close off all Search Bots! Is this a bug in a new WP version? Or perhaps a function of my theme? I would not think a theme would do anything to these settings. If you recently updated to a new version or set up a new WP blog, check your Settings - Privacy. Let me know.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

It's been going on for a little while now: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=127007

Caught me off guard a few times.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Thanks Kevin. That explains it! Must be an oversight - I can't think they deliberately set it up that way.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

If you do the WP installation via cpanel (fantastico or other script installers), when you set it up it asks you if you want your blog to be accessible to search engines.
    I'm not quite sure if it does that when you do the manual download-unzip-upload to server option. It's been a long time since I had to do manual WP installation.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by affilorama
    If you do the WP installation via cpanel (fantastico or other script installers), when you set it up it asks you if you want your blog to be accessible to search engines.
    I'm not quite sure if it does that when you do the manual download-unzip-upload to server option. It's been a long time since I had to do manual WP installation.
    It is an option when you set up manually.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    I think people set it that way since they are just setting up their blog. And that is not a bad idea. No reason to keep telling the search engines about pages that you are trying out.

THen people never get back to turning it off.

Kind of like Auto-tagging in Google Adwords. It sounds weird or extra and people turn it off and then cant figure out why they cant use Analytics right.

This is something fairly new. I have used Fantastico in the past and my blogs were always set to be accessible to search engines by default.

If you close off the search engines, you also prevent Google AdSense from displaying anything but PSAs. That is what drew my attention to it. And I was not asked if I wanted my blog to be accessible when I installed via Fantastico.

At any rate, the fix is easy as clicking a radio button on the privacy settings, provided you realize the fix is needed.

ABW Ambassador
    Just did a new install and the Privacy Settings changed for me, now the default is open to search engines.

Similar question for you WP gurus. If I set the privacy settings to "I would like to block search engines, but allow normal visitors" does that mean that individuals doing Google searches on words in my blogs might find me? Or, only if they search for the exact domain name?

I am trying to make a site absolutely invisible to searches or spiders... that the only way someone would find it is searching on the direct URL or typing in the URL. Possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy Rig View Post
    Similar question for you WP gurus. If I set the privacy settings to "I would like to block search engines, but allow normal visitors" does that mean that individuals doing Google searches on words in my blogs might find me? Or, only if they search for the exact domain name?

I am trying to make a site absolutely invisible to searches or spiders... that the only way someone would find it is searching on the direct URL or typing in the URL. Possible?
    If you set it to the above they would probably need to have the url like you gave them a link to the site.

But search engines can find sites and start indexing them. Some like Baidu just ignore the robots.txt file.

If it is really sensitive you should probably use a membership plugin or put it in a directory that is password protected.

Or put the sensitive stuff somewhere else like in flickr or youtube with privacy on with that folder.

andbeyond:

Thanks for the help there. Let me clarify just a little (I don't want anyone rolling their eyes on here)... it's nothing really sensitive that needs to be hidden with membership or password protection.

I have one business that is tangential to an industry which gets scrutinized a lot from certain watchdog groups and the attorney general's office in our state. It is not an online business. I offer education in the area of estate and business succession planning. Attorneys are notorious for attacking ANYTHING that looks like "unauthorized practice of law". Recently, they have been aggressively searching out educational firms like mine using some keywords... and implementing very burdensome "please respond to our inquiry" letters with the threat of cease and desist. Obviously, it costs them nothing to do this, but puts a burden on some of us to the point where some just fold up shop. I'd like to stay under the radar. Again, being innocent is not always enough; needing the money to hire attorneys to prove innocence against attorneys general is required. It's a subtle shakedown.

Offering education is legal; giving legal advice to a particular situation/client is not. Having to defend the difference is costly.

Well then banning google would probably do it fine. Most USA attorneys or their assistants will probably just google what they are looking for.

Or they use a scraper that parses Yahoo or Google.

I would keep the privacy on. That is probably enough.

Maybe occasionally make sure your blog is not in the google index.

Search on google for:

site:yourdomain.com

or

site:www.yourdomain.com

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread