I was hit with a batch of October reversals from eBay today. I had $75 worth of registrations in October, $20 of them were accepted right away, and $55 were held back.

Of those $55 held back, every single one was reversed today. That's a reversal rate of 73%.

I can't possibly believe that 73% of the people who took the time to register for eBay through my site decided not to bid. My link is extremely targetted -- people come to my site searching for hockey trading cards, and I show them a list of the cards that a player has, and point them to eBay as a place where they can find them.

I could see a couple of people registering and not bidding, but why would 73% of the people registering through my targetted link decline to bid? And why would October be so much higher than the rest of the months?

It is very, very frustrating to lose 73% of your income this way.

Ralph

http://www.hockeydb.com

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    *ouch*

"The internet is an audience of one, a million times over." -Peter Guber

I also am upset with Ebay. They reversed 3 registrations $15 (100%) for October. Looks like I'm going to drop Ebay. There not worth my traffic.

Jason

Santa Cruz, CA 95060

42% reversal rate for me.

A bit high, but I can live with it.

ABW Ambassador
    Oct had 98 registrations, leads and 10 reversed. About 10% reversal rate. I think the key with them is getting very targeted click thru. Most of those 98 are from a very niche site where the only place to get the item is Ebay.

Sales are everywhere, Sales are mine.

9 out of 19 reversed, kinda hurts. I lowered a lot of PPC bids, though, to make sure that side of my income is profitable. You really need to take their reversal rate into account when bidding. You can't look at it as $5 lead, you have to figure what your PPC costs will be, and count on receiving $3.50 or so instead of the $5, due to the reversal rate.

"The internet is an audience of one, a million times over." -Peter Guber

I think a lot of it may depend on the type of site you have, and the type of linking you do. My links are *very* targeted. I started using Ebay's affiliate program on September 7 of this year.

Results thus far (registrations only):

September - 23 registrations, 0 reversed.
    October - 21 registrations, 0 reversed.
    November - 21 registrations, 3 reversed.
    December (to date) - 24 registrations, 1 reversed.

Thus far I am *QUITE* happy with Ebay... enough so that I've removed banner ads from my sites, since they were netting me a whopping $0.35 per day or so. I'm netting $4-6 per day with Ebay. That's on roughly 600-800 unique visitors per day; 8,000 - 10,000 pageviews per day.

-Dan

Danimal- Some months I am VERY pleased with eBay, and some months I get hit. It's just the law of averages, is all, especially when we're talking less than 50 leads. Overall, I think the eBay program is a great program.

"No day is so bad, it can't be fixed with a nap." - Carrie Snow

I've been upset with ebay for several months, but foolishly I keep promoting them. But, on the bright side, I do feel my ebay links drive a lot of traffic to my sites and maybe, just maybe, they click on something else on my site rather than the ebay link. Hard to tell.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

Every day is a chance to learn something new and a opportunity to teach someone else.

ABW Ambassador
    I get mostly nickels from eBay and any time I do promote them it's usually at the end of any given page at my site, after the main merchant I promote. This way, the target is for the merchant and, if the shopper isn't interested with the offer, then eBay is another alternative.

eBay normally does OK for me. I don't get as many leads as I'd like, although some months I'm surprised there are so many who haven't signed up.

Usually they are accepted, but every once in a while I get reversals.

I think if someone registers, they should pay the lead regardless of bidding or not. If it's a hotmail or yahoo E-mail, they have to give a credit card to verify identity, so that should be an automatic lock in my opinion.

If they have a "real" E-mail address, I think eBay could send out a verification of registration before the 30 days or up to remind people to bid.

It does seem strange that people would go to all the trouble to sign up, but never bid on anything.

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

hmm, anyone still converting okay with Ebay?

Jason
    Santa Cruz, CA 95060

quote:
    Originally posted by Andy:
    If they have a "real" E-mail address, I think eBay could send out a verification of registration before the 30 days or up to remind people to bid.

It does seem strange that people would go to all the trouble to sign up, but never bid on anything.

Andy

Sure thing, if they can send out all the junk email and other stuff they send to you when you first join, surely they can add a reminder to bid in there somewhere.

the editor tool kit has been great for me.

August $26
    Sept. $28
    Oct. $43
    Nov. $265 (tool kit added)
    Dec $308 and counting

Same here, the editor tool kit has made the difference, and I believe that the ebay items I'm promoting is what is drawing people to my site.

August (after $30 reversed) $95.05
    September (after $20 reversed) $170.70
    October (after $25 reversed) $154.25

Then came editor kit
    November $552.55 (32 leads still extended)
    December $525.85 (37 leads still extended) and still adding bids and leads.

I think the key is targeted item traffic. If you have a banner encouraging people to sign-up for ebay, chances are they may, but never make a bid. However, if you use the toolkit, providing specific items that you know your traffic is looking for and can't find anywhere else, then chances are that they will already know what they want to bid on when they sign-up and there is less chance for reversal because they want to make that bid.

If you're just placing banners on your site hoping for clicks, then chances are your reversal rates will be high. But, if you put toolkit generated lists of items available for bid on very targeted items, then you have a better chance of keeping those sign-ups.

---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

eBay works great for us.

Our average EPC for this year is $8.76, thats more than twice as much than the average EPC for eBay in general.

We also utilize the Toolkit to extend our search results. What they can not find on our site is may be available on eBay.

Seems to work [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    with almost every lead extended, I feel like I don't make anything w/ them...

would it be against their TOS that I ask people to bid if they register?

Supras | Celicas

I am kind of hesitated to promote ebay. It may bring me some revenue from ebay, but I will probably lose sales from other merchants such as dell.

I think that depends on the type of traffic you have. If your site is mainly a fan site, ebay would work great. For a deal site like mine, I think it probably will only divert my revenue to ebay.

Another thing is that for a tech stuffs, $5 commission per registration is not good at all. And $0.05 per bid is just too low.

Tech Deals & Coupons at: http://www.xpbargains.com
    Tech & Family Coupons: http://www.xpcoupons.com
    Best Credit Card Offers: http://www.best-card.com

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread