More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Kontera will not send 1099-misc
    I have something like $1800 earned with Kontera, yet they do not send me a 1099-misc form. To further complicate, their reports go back only 1 quarter! So I do not have a way to get the actual amount paid. They do not respond to any emails, their phone number leads you in a circle, and I am almost under the impression that they have fired nearly all their employees and are running on auto-pilot.
    What should I do? Use an estimate? Contact the IRS?

Frankly, I am thinking of pulling their ads.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    Are you an LLC ?

I'm not a tax pro, but what I would do is come up with an estimate or go back through check deposits etc.

I've sometimes gotten 1099's as late as mid to late Feb. though...

Sounds like a rinky-dink outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant Consultant Team
    Are you an LLC ?
    Sole proprietor.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by simcat

I've sometimes gotten 1099's as late as mid to late Feb. though...
    Me too, the last several years I wait until Mid March to file just in case I get a 1099 straggler.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Whether you receive 1099s or not, you still owe the taxes. You should have records of your deposits.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    Sounds like a rinky-dink outfit.
    Actually, when I started with them they offered excellent support. Phone, email, etc. And they always paid. Still do.

But now, there seems to be no account reps. I get no update emails from them anymore.

And yes, Michael, I will pay the taxes (did I suggest that I did not intend to pay them?) It is just a matter of finding the amount they paid. As far as getting the records, we don't keep every deposit slip and even if we did I don't think the Kontera deposits would be itemized. Hopefully the bank can sort this out. I have never had a problem getting amounts before as every other program I worked with had total amounts paid in reports if income was below the $600 threshold.
    Last edited by Cheesehead; February 15th, 2010 at 09:20 PM.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    The date by which 1099-Misc must be mailed to individuals and partnerships receiving income was extended to Feb. 15. So, maybe it will still be received.

If it is not sent out, then they are in violation of the Internal Revenue Code, and one thing that you could do is call the IRS and report them. If they are contacted by the IRS, I would think the forms will be filled out and on the way to the post office before they hang up the phone.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    The date by which 1099-Misc must be mailed to individuals and partnerships receiving income was extended to Feb. 15. So, maybe it will still be received.
    Is that just for this year or has that been the case for some time?
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

I did not know about the Feb 15 extension. I guess I will give it a week. Not too hopeful though as last year I had to call several times well after the deadline to get the form. No phone number this year though.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    Is that just for this year or has that been the case for some time?
    I'm pretty sure it is new this year.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    And yes, Michael, I will pay the taxes (did I suggest that I did not intend to pay them?) It is just a matter of finding the amount they paid.
    I didn't mean to suggest that you wouldn't. It's usually easiest to just take the total of your deposits. The 1099s are really meaningless, unless there are discrepancies.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks Michael for that clarification. I have had to explain that income is income to a bunch of folks who claimed that no 1099 meant no taxes owed. Heck, an affiliate could possibly make thousands of dollars, a few hundred here, a few hundred there, without a single 1099 but I doubt the IRS would be too understanding if they did not pay taxes on it.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Hey Cheesy...

I haven't received mine either and remember specifically that it was late last year....

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Affiliate Manager affiliateaholic's Avatar
    wondering how I pay my tax since I am not in the US and do not earn that much. LOL. But when I reach the threshold, should I pay tax to the US or my local government?

Update: Just got the 1099 a few days ago! They only missed the Jan 30 deadline by 7 weeks or so! The good news is that the 1099 form matched the income records they sent me about a month ago, so had I used those, I would have reported correct earnings.

The "early tax thing" did not pan out this year anyway. It will be a classic by-the-seat-of-the-pants type year.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread