Manager - Affiliate Marketing Patrick Vesperman's Avatar
    Personal message to affiliate using twitter
    I recently saw this tweet in a certain merchant's public stream:

@[affiliate] You are in violation of your affiliate agreement with [Merchant] & will be contacted shortly.

The interesting thing is, this isn't an affiliate manager's account but rather a corporate account for the merchant - a very big merchant at that. Not that it really matters either way, but I don't think twitter is the place to announce this type of information. Send them an email or call them!

Thoughts?

Agreed. Twitter is no place to be discussing (if you could even call it that) an affiliate's account.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Agree, twitter is a causal communication tool

I found the tweet, and it looks like it was in reply to a specific tweet in which the agreement was violated. I think Twitter is perfectly fine in this situation, although it would have been better to communicate via a private DM rather than calling out the affiliate publicly.
    --

They just did it again! Twice in a row. Different affiliate this time, but exact same message. I wonder if they mean to use DM...probably not. If they did, they would have deleted these tweets.

@rehan - agreed. Even if it was in response to a tweet by the affiliate, DM, email or phone would have been the route to use.

ABW Ambassador
    These affiliates have affiliate links in their tweets, which is a violation. Its good that the merchant is monitoring it. Tweeting about the violation openly must be intentional, to discourage others to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by sam_park
    These affiliates have affiliate links in their tweets, which is a violation. Its good that the merchant is monitoring it. Tweeting about the violation openly must be intentional, to discourage others to do the same.
    Ah - I read the TOS for this merchant. Linking is OK, but the issue is the direct links and using the merchant's name to publish deals for that merchant.

I still think the use of twitter to notify them is unusual.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Rehan
    I found the tweet, and it looks like it was in reply to a specific tweet in which the agreement was violated. I think Twitter is perfectly fine in this situation, although it would have been better to communicate via a private DM rather than calling out the affiliate publicly.
    How did you find it? I tried putting affiliate agreement in the search and can't find anything.

http and a telephoto
    I have seen other people send an @ message to a twitter spammer doing bad things, but not the program itself. Twitter is sometimes "self policing" and @ messages are used to make people aware that certain accounts aren't on the up and up. If a merchant is doing it a lot suddenly they may have a bunch of rouge affiliates OR it is the same affiliate using different accounts. I didn't look at the specific situation yet. Is is a Linkshare merchant that might not know that affiliates are encouraged to tweet direct links using the product database?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    How did you find it? I tried putting affiliate agreement in the search and can't find anything.
    Via Google. Tweets from that account don't show up in the Twitter search results, probably because the account got excluded from the index.
    --

http and a telephoto
    Yeah, I put some of the text in quotes and used google to find it. The one account only had 22-ish followers, both accounts are posting only deals from API. Twitter doesn't like those either. Looks like someone is opening accounts just to see what they can get away with, and they aren't going to last anyway.

I think the merchant could handle it better, but for anyone searching for info about those accounts being legit, their tweet about it would show up.

ABW Ambassador Stephanie Lichtenstein's Avatar
    I am big on using social media to interact but I agree that is not the right way to contact an affiliate. For this sort of matter email would be much more appropriate.
    @MicroSteph | Stephanie Lichtenstein
    President of Micro Media Marketing
    Outsourced Social Media Management
    Get Connected: LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | AIM: AffiliateLady | Skype: StephanieLichtenstein

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread