ABW Ambassador

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    One day all the Ad Whore operations will be calling upon the worker bee affiliates to parade in the nude with merchant Ad plackards on street corners. Scarry sight ..naked Mike and SSandf competing for Ad views on the same street intersection. Hell I'd rather follow the latest IAB/DMA membership brainstorm...super gluing store fliers to windshields in mall parking lots.

Some day the affiliate industry will bronze a statur of Charlie for predicting this industry can only prosper if it completely distances itself from the Advertising wanks. Funny how Performics sold for 47 million MORE then CJ as the Ad idiots think they must have a better selection of adware/spyware partners.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Not following the last post. We're affiliate marketers. Advertising being a part of marketing. We advertise/market merchants or products to our site visitors. So you can't distance affiliate marketing from advertising/marketing, it's what it is.

Trusty said:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Not following the last post. We're affiliate marketers. Advertising being a part of marketing. We advertise/market merchants or products to our site visitors. So you can't distance affiliate marketing from advertising/marketing, it's what it is. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only difference is marginal, at best; Trusty is right on here.

The promise of the affiliate "pay per performance" industry was to drive sales ...not impressions. Networks promised, in exchange for prime web space advertising, to compensate via commissions those publishers taking all the risks and Ad hosting expenses. It was Ad whore BS from day one as the networks were never anything more then smoke screens for duping affiliate surfs into generating eyeballs for IAB/DMA members.

Nifty tool to drain more of the merchants Ad budgets by adding another billable expense area. The idea was to entice mass advertising to jump start traffic to etailers with Ad budgets. Sales and conversions are accidental occurances if the group generates millions of eyeballs via links, SE listings and e-mail spam bleeding off a fresh stream of privacy info for the direct marketers.

Well the pure play advertisers have pissed off the shoppers bombarded by affiliate fueled gorrilla marketers. Sure we all advertise for our merchants by assuming the risk that our traffic is better targeted, therefore better converting, then the traffic generated by the mass advertisers like Value Click and Double Click.

Now all the pretenses are being dropped and the real advertising mindsets take over the networks thinking the 3rd party AM firms driving BHO's, Dupers and the SE monopolies can completely ignor the domain bound affiliates. 200 million infested BHO adware systems coupled with billions of CPM and PPCSE Ad impressions have emboldened the Ad Whore industry to make their move. They can attack at the traffic source and attack at the point of sale squeezing out the domain bound affiliate middlemen.

Well I plan on putting a dagger in their black hearts by backing the consumer/shopper who've already whacked their spamming/telemarketing partnerships. Double Click just pissed away 67 million as far as I'm concerned and hopefully they will fold under the consumer backlash to all forms of gorrilla marketers.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    What the **** have you been smoking today Mike?

Nothing as expensive as the wanks down at Double-Click passed around.

Mike:

Interesting non-sequitor. Putting aside the actual intent of the post, it makes minimal sense and, additionally, fails to move me from my original position.

I'm having a conceptual problem with the distinction between 'marketing' and 'sales'.

I guess marketing is responsible for broadly promoting the brand, and sales is responsible for inducing customers to pull out the credit card...

But I'm not from a marketing or sales background. Mike, if you could spell it out in idiot-proof terms I would appreciate it.

I agree Radegast. Big difference is I get paid NOTHING for adverising/marketing. I only get paid for actual sales activities. Marketing advertising folks accept no responsibility for the effectiveness of the expensive activities. The charge for services against a budget as a business expense and hide behind smoke and mirrors escape routes. The networks want to paint us as independent salesmen while treating us as unpaid advertising space.

Sales and all sales management folks take full responsibilities for moving goods and services for any company. Affiliates are independent commissioned sales agents with the only alternative for the merchant is a employee salesman or a tax ID'd reseller.

So, if the A.M. answers to a marketing manager it's more likely that the affiliate program will be a kind of cheap branding exercise, and if he answers to the sales manager it's more likely that hard work will be rewarded and a working relationship will be developed...

The affiliate manager should be a project manager/sales manager.

The roll should be -- help the sales staff (affiliates) with everything they need -- marketing (be sure that the company has a recognizable brand); give the sales staff (the affiliates) enough specials,(including banners and text) so the affiliates (sales staff) can go to their territory (the affiliate's traffic, ad placement, SEO) to pre-sell for the merchant.

No different than selling anything.. get the right staff selling your products, with a great sales manager, both you and the manager make plenty of $$$...

The difference is.... usually the sales manager fires the poor salesman, here and affiliate (like Mike & Chuck) can add or drop any site they choose.. rather than get "paid nothing."

What comes around, goes around in this biz..
    Getting There Is Half The Fun! Staying There Is Half The Battle!

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Shifting back on topic to the news announcemnt....not good news.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>it would purchase search engine marketer Performics for up to $65 million to boost its ability to track the performance of online advertising. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did anyone else notice that affiliate (or performance) marketing was mentioned at all in that article? It was all related to the SE stuff?

ABW Ambassador
    Agreed, we cannot. We can only bring our own personal and corporate flavors to the mix...Nothing bad about it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1¬ģ:
    Not following the last post. We're affiliate marketers. Advertising being a part of marketing. We advertise/market merchants or products to our site visitors. So you can't distance affiliate marketing from advertising/marketing, it's what it is. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BINGO ..."So, if the A.M. answers to a marketing manager it's more likely that the affiliate program will be a kind of cheap branding exercise, and if he answers to the sales manager it's more likely that hard work will be rewarded and a working relationship will be developed..."

Ms.B your are correct as the buyer (Double-Click) is only interested in building on the SEO/SEM skill set of Performics. Any normal affiliate sales revenues are just a bonus. Performics is a nest for BHO's, Dupers and mass reach AM firms catering to the IAB/DMA memberships whims. It is not geared for recruiting masses of affiliates like the others. Basically a Ad Whore network built for the pimping Ad Whores, and a perfect fit for the Original CPM Ad Whore Double-Click. Nothing new as I've never re-visited Performics since the first week they launched.

ABW Ambassador
    I was just thinking that the announcement on Doubleclick buying Perfmics just track results...
    Was a silent move!

Who would buy an entire network just to not code a tracking system. ($65,000,000)

DoubleClick will go for Affiliate Marketing!

That has more sense since traditional banner campaigns that ware DoubleClick market are now replaced by Affiliate marketing or Google/overture services...
    Fer(nando) - US & EU Marketing

I have no relationship with Performics, because the network seems to be a playground for parasites. TrueTracker just might be coming on line at the right time, if it ever gets up and runs...

Andy

They already did by buying Performics.

They can see the potential revenues for the crossovers of merchants going from being small advertisers to large advertisers. And they get a crack at the amount of large advertisers that are already with Performics.

And they get a huge marketing sales force ( us AMers ) that's already in place as a bonus.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

Well, that's a fine howdy-do.

But now I have a real reason to pull all the Perfromic merchants from my pages...they all use adwords, so they appear on Adsense anyway.

However, I am going to have to find a good chocolate merchant...to plug a soon to be hole on my cooking page.

No way I am every going to do business with DoubleClick.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread