Affiliate Manager Ian H - TicketLiquidator's Avatar
    Affiliate Recruitment Services
    Hi all, I'm a learning-as-I-go affiliate manager and have just been looking at some affiliate recruitment services advertised online.

I was wondering what you guys thought about these services.

Are there any decent ones?

I guess it all depends on how appropriate affiliates' sites are for whatever product affiliate managers are selling....and matching them up correctly.

or am I wrong?
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Arial]Ian Hough.
    Affiliate Program Manager, TicketLiquidator.com.
    Contact: [email]ianh@ticketliquidator.com[/email][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Don't let your work go to waste. Sign up and get paid for all sales: [B]Onsales[/B], last-minute, etc.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Pure affiliate recruitment services on the whole are utter junk.

Consider this, my firm runs 20 or so programs, we have a good core group of affiliate partners who we work with who make them and us money....why the heck would I want to send them to some one else.

Any firm with any serious focus on affiliate marketing is not going to be farming out affiliates.

Sure if you use one of these firms you will see lots of sign ups. Of which you'll have no idea how many are actually real or signed up under their own steam. It is easy for a firm to butcher a network list and then use that as the basis for signing up under their names in your program.

In short, avoid, it is not a short cut to getting loyal hard working affiliates on your team

If you want to bring in affiliates but don't have the contacts then I would recommend doing a co-operative partnership with an OPM, run the program side by side with them and benefit from their partnerships while working on building your own.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Thanks for the advice, most appreciated.

I've been told that slow and steady is the way to go, so that's what I'll do, I guess.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out some OPMs and see what they charge, etc.

The tickets business is a funny one; it's like the websites have to be very relevant, or more so than usual, anyway.
    Don't let your work go to waste. Sign up and get paid for all sales: [B]Onsales[/B], last-minute, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWatson
    The tickets business is a funny one; it's like the websites have to be very relevant, or more so than usual, anyway.
    That's actually not that unusual. A highly targeted site can convert 100X higher than a poorly targeted site, with the same merchant.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    That's actually not that unusual. A highly targeted site can convert 100X higher than a poorly targeted site, with the same merchant.

Would that be as a result of better SERP*s or customer loyalty, or both, or neither?

*Search Engine Results (forgive my asterisk, I'm sure you know what SERP stands for).

It's all a matter of targeting. How well the site visitors match up with the merchant being promoted.

Let me make an example up (and if you would like to PM me, I'll send you a real life example from my own sites):

Consider a hotel merchant, promoted on these three sites:

1) A generic joke database.
    2) A coupon site (and the merchant does offer coupons).
    3) A highly targeted site built to help people going to Disneyland pick the hotel that would work best for them. The site would focus on the 15 (or however many it might be) hotels within walking distance and would highlight the walking distance to the main gate, perks (like free breakfast) that might be beneficial, etc.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find that those three sites convert with a hotel merchant at 0.2%, 2%, and 20%.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Recruiting affiliates isn't a matter of "sending emails to a bunch of affiliates." And there are no "shortcuts" that are going to somehow miraculously bring you a bunch of effective affiliates.

Affiliate Recruitment is about identifying and recruiting the specific sites where your ads are most likely to be effective at bringing you profitable customers.

More than two years ago, I posted an article discussing effective affiliate-recruitment strategies, and I think that advice is still useful today -- just as there are dozens of useful discussions of affiliate recruitment strategies here on ABW.

You might find it useful to hire an Outsourced Program Management company, if you don't have adequate in-house resources or skills to manage your program. However, they don't have any magic tricks or miracle strategies that will instantly create success -- and it's possible that their fees might never be earned back.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    It's all a matter of targeting. How well the site visitors match up with the merchant being promoted.

Let me make an example up (and if you would like to PM me, I'll send you a real life example from my own sites):

Consider a hotel merchant, promoted on these three sites:

1) A generic joke database.
    2) A coupon site (and the merchant does offer coupons).
    3) A highly targeted site built to help people going to Disneyland pick the hotel that would work best for them. The site would focus on the 15 (or however many it might be) hotels within walking distance and would highlight the walking distance to the main gate, perks (like free breakfast) that might be beneficial, etc.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find that those three sites convert with a hotel merchant at 0.2%, 2%, and 20%.
    Oh, I totally agree, Michael. Between yourself and Mark Welch - thanks to you both - you have just made the "light go on" above my head!

I really want to get my teeth into this recruiting as soon as possible - or as soon as I have navigated through the complex waters of the CJ acount activation process!

Michael, when I get a free moment maybe later, I'll PM you for the real life example. Quite a few of the applicants to our program are hotel/vacation type sites, and they do look the part, I have to say.

Thanks again for that, it was VERY helpful!

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread