Article in todays ny post newspaper business section had a little write up on linkshare here it is you can also read the whole article below

While Google's initial public offering is still a hot topic on Wall Street and in the Silicon Valley, a holdover from the early days of Silicon Alley is showing that you don't need to go public in order to qualify as a success.

Affiliate marketer LinkShare, which filed for and subsequently withdrew an IPO filing just as the bubble burst in 2000, has quietly been making its mark on the online marketing map.

"We've been profitable for over three years," LinkShare founder and chief executive officer Stephen Messer told The Post.

In the four years since the bubble burst, LinkShare has seen its major competitors acquired and consolidated. Commission Junction and BeFree both were acquired by ValueClick, and last week, DoubleClick acquired Performics.

That leaves LinkShare as one of the last major independent affiliate marketers standing.

The company's roster of clients includes American Express, AT&T, Dell, Target and Wal-Mart.

"Search is a lot of hype," Messer said. "Search is not going to be the effective [return on investment marketing] channel going forward.

"The Googles and Yahoo!s will always be profitable, but not as hyper-competitive as today," he continued. "We're not like Google that has to say, 'Search is the way to go.' "

Because the company is still privately held, Messer wouldn't discuss revenue. Last September, Deloitte & Touche named LinkShare the fastest-growing tech company in New York, based on revenue growth from 1998 through 2002.

Based on LinkShare's original IPO filing, that would mean around $50 million in revenues in 2002 - and that was still a down year for the Internet.

Though LinkShare has no plans for another stab at an IPO - "Our growth rates are huge and we've got plenty of cash," Messer says - the company is actively looking for acquisitions while also fighting off acquisition attempts.

"We're the last independent guy and the largest player in the space. You can imagine everyone talking to us," Messer said.

ny post google and linkshare ipo
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"Search is a lot of hype," Messer said. "Search is not going to be the effective [return on investment marketing] channel going forward. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haiko:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"Search is a lot of hype," Messer said. "Search is not going to be the effective [return on investment marketing] channel going forward. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he's referring to them you-know-who's that start with the letter p as being the most effective ROI-wise.
    Akiva Bergstrom | akiva@affsolutions.com | 718-871-8286

Affiliate Marketing Solutions by affSolutions - Creator of the Product Showcase Creator™

Managed Programs: EssentialApparel.com (Join) | SportsFanfare.com (Join)

Affiliates: Product Showcase Creator Directory | Merchants: License the Product Showcase Creator™!

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I think he is referring to the expansion of the other Networks into the Search arena with their various new services. And that LS isn't going to go that route, but stick with the true affiliate channel.

Wonder if Stephen will give an Award to the person who guesses correctly what he meant by that statement.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BLFH (Ms. B):
    I think he is referring to the expansion of the other Networks into the Search arena with their various new services. And that LS isn't going to go that route, but stick with the true affiliate channel. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed but it beguiles me that he would say:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Search is a lot of hype <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I mean how many searches are done a day? How in the world is that hype?

BTW they do offer search "services" (they farm it out).
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nyfalcon:
    "Search is a lot of hype," Messer said. "Search is not going to be the effective [return on investment marketing] channel going forward. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's definitely a quote that will come back to haunt him. Search is an incredibly important part of affiliate marketing. That wasn't true five years ago, but it certainly is today. This statement just shows how out of touch Linkshare's upper management really is.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    OK I'll take a try... I think it a indirect pot shot at CJ's evolution and likely saying they'll probably be firing blanks with it.

It makes about as much sense as LS declaring they don't support browser spam while silently participating with 180 solutions. That is till 180 solutions spilled the beans.

I bet Linksnare wouldn't even be close to being profitable, if Stevie boy paid everyone who got stiffed by him and his merchants in the past 3 years.

I hope they go public...we can get the money from the market by going short Meeser.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I hope they go public...we can get the money from the market by going short Meeser <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe it was Al Michaels who said, and I paraphrase: "Selling short is considered by some to be un-American. But some companies just flat out deserve it." He was referring to Adelphia at the time, but I think it works here...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Guess Stephen missed this news:

Online Advertising Has 1st Quarter Record

"Ads on <span class="ev_code_BLUE">search sites have driven the industry's recovery</span>, <span class="ev_code_RED">with all other formats declining 7 percent</span> in 2003 from the previous year. These simple text ads, which appear next to relevant Web searches and cost advertisers only when people click on them, have soared in popularity because they are easy to set up and effective at finding potential customers, advertisers say."

Google's revenue in Q1 was $375.3 million. I doubt Linkshare has had that much revenue in their entire existance.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador

I said the same 4 years ago.
    Fer(nando) - US & EU Marketing

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread